Thread: Boot WinXP with USB

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Default Boot WinXP with USB

So, I know that it is possible, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I've looked at several online tuts, but understood very little of what they are trying to tell me. I've got a 7GB USB that *should* get the job done.

So can anyone one help me by breaking it down?

Assume that I don't have a boot disk, nor an installation disk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Make sure the computer your using is able to boot from a usb. I know some older computers cannot
    "Logic never changes, just the syntax" - Kyle Undefined?

Remember, The Edit Button Is There For A Reason!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Dont Steal..

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

it's possible but crap. Don't expect it to be portable, when I did it, it only worked at the original computer I installed it at, others gave a BSOD.
    I made a new script, check it out!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay, from personal knowledge and experience it is not the wisest idea to format/load an OS from a flash/storage USB device. When you install Windows on a computer you will need to install drivers for that computer--the majority of the time with the newer OS's the needed drivers are installed with the OS.

Please note this INCLUDES the USB drivers necessary to read and detect a USB device! It may not detect the USB device after the computer has been formatted--generally it does not.

First things first though, before you do anything do personal research on the topic which has pre-written tutorials. Make sure the source is valid by a trusted source! I would also suggest booting into CMOS to see if you can even boot from a flash/external USB device. Your BIOS type and version determines if it can or cannot boot from a flash/external USB device. Make sure you're able to before you make this action.

Though if you'd like to do something like this your best bet is to get a few DVD-CD's and burn the image onto the disk(s) and boot from them apposed from a flash/external USB device.

Hope this helped, Val. Feel free to PM me with any computer related questions you may have

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Don't expect it to be portable, when I did it, it only worked at the original computer I installed it at, others gave a BSOD.
    What was the BSOD error? Always write down the error so you can identify the problem and from there, troubleshoot! It sounds like one of a few things could of happened in the process:

1) One or more of the required boot files in Windows were not copied over correctly if not at all.
    2) One or more of the required boot files had a Read Only attribute on the file, you may need to change the file attributes to the files to Read and Write.
    3) When copying over the portable version of Windows it may not of copied every necessary file correctly. Plug in your Flash Drive/Portable USB device and use disk defrag on the device to see if any of the files are fragmented.

This is only based on the information given--if you are able to identify what the error was maybe there's a solution to the problem. What version of Portable Windows were you trying to load?

Thread Information