Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SRL-5 Beta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coh3n View Post
    Butchered methods? I hardly think so. I assume you're still talking about the documentation/headers. SCAR extension? We have Simba now, there's no reason to keep support for a program that is no longer a part of SRL.
    While browsing SRL 4.... looks like someone butchered in simba compatibility...and now the scar stuff was removed...So ya it just looks butchered.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wyn10 View Post
    While browsing SRL 4.... looks like someone butchered in simba compatibility...and now the scar stuff was removed...So ya it just looks butchered.
    Yes, simba capability was butchered in. You are correct, in SRL5 I see no such thing. Everything was done for a reason.
    Writing an SRL Member Application | [Updated] Pascal Scripting Statements
    My GitHub

Progress Report:
    13:46 <@BenLand100> <SourceCode> @BenLand100: what you have just said shows you 
                        have serious physchological problems
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE GETS IT!
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE FINALLY GETS IT!!!!1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nava2 View Post
    Yes, simba capability was butchered in. You are correct, in SRL5 I see no such thing. Everything was done for a reason.
    I don't understand what you just said.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I don't understand what you just said.
    https://github.com/SRL/SRL-5

Try it and see.
    Writing an SRL Member Application | [Updated] Pascal Scripting Statements
    My GitHub

Progress Report:
    13:46 <@BenLand100> <SourceCode> @BenLand100: what you have just said shows you 
                        have serious physchological problems
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE GETS IT!
    13:46 <@BenLand100> HE FINALLY GETS IT!!!!1

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

SRL 5 was designed for SIMBA specifically. SRL4 was a constant battle to maintain cross compatibility. Now with removing SCAR support we were able to "cut out the fat" and optimize the include. This optimization constisted of many things including new commenting system, new versioning system and an altered layout for the include itself. That is on top of code optimizations.

If you want to see all the work done look at the GIT logs. We don't have time to hold hands and walk everyone through every change that was made. We felt it was big enough changes for a new version number. A lot of discussion went into this. So please don't complain about version numbering and just appreciate the hard work our devs put into this.
    STOP PM'ING ME

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nava2 View Post
    Ya defines are gone...but the code used is still the same.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

I personally like the change, good step moving forward!
    Away for awhile, life is keeping me busy. | Want to get my attention in a thread? @Kyle Undefined; me.
    { MSI Phoenix || SRL Stats Sigs || Paste || Scripts || Quotes || Graphics }

When posting a bug, please post debug! Help us, help you!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. || To be the best, you've got to beat the rest. || Logic never changes, just the syntax.
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ, or about a script that is not mine, I will NOT respond.

SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba. We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    680 Post(s)

Yeah...?

Did you think we were going to completely rewrite all the code from scratch?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

Yeah...?

You hardly see huge code rewrites of working code when versioning it. Most of the time it's tweaks and optimization's that needed to be done (Which is what appears to have been done).

Now, that doesn't mean that's never the case, but why rewrite something that already works with optimization?
    Away for awhile, life is keeping me busy. | Want to get my attention in a thread? @Kyle Undefined; me.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. || To be the best, you've got to beat the rest. || Logic never changes, just the syntax.
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ, or about a script that is not mine, I will NOT respond.

SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba. We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Yeah...?

Yeah that's kinda what you need to do for a major release to get true Simba compatibility.....

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    680 Post(s)

Yeah that's kinda what you need to do for a major release to get true Simba compatibility.....
    That's not true at all. The SCAR version that was supported used the same interpreter as Simba, so 98% of the code worked with both programs. There was only a few small changes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just what the files were named? ".scar" to ".simba" to make SRL5 Simba only? Since they're both Pascal based, the code should work no matter what version number you assign it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

That's not true at all. The SCAR version that was supported used the same interpreter as Simba, so 98% of the code worked with both programs. There was only a few small changes.
    Well you guys can think whatever you want I guess; if someone though went through and added hundreds of IFDEFS just to get it compiled, I'd call that butchering.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    680 Post(s)

Well you guys can think whatever you want I guess; if someone though went through and added hundreds of IFDEFS just to get it compiled, I'd call that butchering.
    And you're free to think what you want.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

Well, the reason why people are trippin' is because before, when we used to introduce new SRL revisions, something big is in there. I remember 13-15 pages under the release threads lol.

We didn't really have what we had today, where whenever something is broken, someone fixes it and posts. We usually fixed up everything and made a whole new SRL with major additions to the include. After a major Jagex update, we would sometimes wait weeks for a new SRL.

Yeah I remember those time clearly lol. We used to all flock to tutorial Island and make threads on: "how to install SRL 3" "SETTING UP SCAR TO WORK WITH THE NEW SRL" "How to make so and so with the new SRL !!@!". Ah good days... Ah ha haa.

Never the less good job. But I think yall shoulda waited to release SRL 5.

Maybe once Marpis finishes SPS2.0, include it in there.
    Lots of good stuff around the forums that can be formally implanted into SRL.
    Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good job guys i am happy about the release.

sure its not quite what you guys wanted but its a start and a damn good one.

As for people complaining about a version number get over it, SRL 5 is a step forward and should be named that, we have moved away from SCAR support which if you didnt know is a big step, people will now know they cant use SRL 5 with SCAR and simply use SRL 4 so its very informative.

When i make my scripts i always increment my version number by 0.05 regardless of what i do and the reason why i did that is because its up to me what number i give it, eve if i change i line of code i will increment it.

So my point is its up to the developers what version number they give it and if they want it to be 5 then its 5, so deal with it.

sorry for the rage but arguing over a number when we can update and get SRL back up and running/improved is stupid.

So keep up the good work Dev Team.
    Last edited by Bobzilla69; 12-02-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

The incredibly improved documentation, complete with example code!, is reason enough to release our work, especially now. It is something everybody with community-feel can work on and help us improve the readability and quality of our include. Yes it may look akward compared to the old formatting, but in fact it is the other way around. The old formatting had no meaning whatsoever, just made-up /***** etc. The new formatting has meaning. Besides, the real nuisance is completely on the devs side, because we are we ones that need to code into this. The average user hardly ever looks into SRL, and you will get used to the new look quickly enough.

I really don't see all the fuzz. Besides, SRL has been solid for 6 years! The include is "finished", not much work needs be done in order to keep it running. Also, remember where we came from. SRL Updates appear nowadays almost always within a couple of hours aot. days or even weeks not even so long ago.

So yeah, different it is, but it has much more meaning this way. Help us build it!

Besides: Thread title says Beta, no?
    SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba.
    We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good job on the beta release!

It's a shame to see SCAR phased out, but seeing as Simba is now king at Villavu, it was the right thing to do.

If you're not happy with this, or you would still like to work with SCAR, then you can always go help Wanted out with OSI at Freddy1990's Forums, I'm sure he'll be happy with some extra help on his project.
    Varrock gTanner
    Previously known as England155.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Butchering is what happened to SRL 4 months ago: we were adding a lot of IFDEF's initially for support for Simba and it became messier over time. scar apparently has/had no interest of keeping up with Simba and compatibility is more of an issue that it was initially.

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    If that's the main reason, I completely disagree. Yes it is a significant change, but not worth the step from 4 to 5. A "4.5" or some sort of notation after 4 would be more realistic. I'm sorry to highjack a celebration-y type thread though. I just feel like more thought and community input should have gone into this.
    Tell that to the obnoxious developer who has since left. There have been so many threads about this it's nearly worth crying over the stupidity. Luckily, we're rid of that now.

There's more to it than just define removal. The documentation is a great step forward and will only improve. SRL 5 will offer a stable base while we work towards SRL 6. It's also now officially git and no longer svn, so everyone can easily commit/file pull requests. The removal of scar compat / naming conventions was a logical step because it's weird that everyone uses simba to macro with srl, but it's still all named for scar. Compatibility was also holding us back a lot. Simba can do a lot of things scar can't and not being able to deploy that properly is just because we should remain compatible with a product no one here uses is stupid. You'd eventually end up with a Simba SRL that has more more (or different) functionality from the scar srl version, which obviously makes no sense. IFDEF's are stupid and should only be used where necessary. Most of the SRL core functions were very messy because of all the IFDEF's. You don't have to agree, but this is how it'll be. Feel free to work on improving SRL 5 and making our lifes here even better.

The version number bump was simply required because this is a great step forward. Let me ask you, how many people actually know this SRL was SRL version 4? Not many, after all - you don't notice it in the include statement, you don't notice it in the extension updater, you don't notice it ... just about anywhere. You only know at some point SRL 5 and SRL 6 are coming.

Stop whining about the version bump and focus on the good and important things.

tl;dr: there is a lot of big stuff in there, just not in the usual fashion.
    Last edited by Wizzup?; 12-02-2011 at 11:30 AM.

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Will start converting today. Congratulations on the much anticipated release!

Edit:
    Could we possibly get summoning.simba implanted in SRL/SRL/skill/? Some people are having difficulty installing it themselves even after the short tutorial I made. I don't see why we couldn't just include it in SRL.

Edit2:
    Either I'm doing something wrong or this isn't complete. I'll wait until more information is posted.
    You could file a pull request at github?

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Yeah I'm not signed up for Github or anything like that. I'm just the small-time scripter. I was hoping something that simple could get approved and someone on the dev team could add it into SRL.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Yeah I'm not signed up for Github or anything like that. I'm just the small-time scripter. I was hoping something that simple could get approved and someone on the dev team could add it into SRL.
    GitHub it's so easy to use even a BraK could do it. Try it out I know you'll love using it.

"Sometimes User's don't need the Answer spelled out with Code. Sometimes all they need is guidance and explanation of the logic to get where they are going."

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

I'll assure you that unless you have absolutely no knowledge of git - then the first time takes some time - you will actually save time by making a pull request. We can easily merge your changes and you won't see your thread sitting on the forum for days.

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I believe the reason for that was because Simba ripped pretty much everything that was in SCAR, just saying...

Glad to see you guys are finally going your own way, now I can finally justify not returning here. Good luck in your endeavours

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy1990 View Post
    I believe the reason for that was because Simba ripped pretty much everything that was in SCAR, just saying...
    Not ripped. Seeing as SCAR was closed source, copy/pasting would be impossible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information