Thread: [VB] Runescape Farming Notifier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default [VB] Runescape Farming Notifier 0.2

NOTE: Currently not working on this as I am not a member. Will look into it when I buy some more membership.

CURRENT VERSION: Version 0.2 - Coded hops patches. All hops patches as well as Catherby allotment patch are in minutes and seconds. I will soon update the rest. Modified strawberry time as for me it wasn't done in time. I still need to test though.

SOURCE CODE: Here is the source code. Make any modifications you want...I don't mind.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56920130/Gim...%20date%29.rar

NOTE: MaxPower has just alerted me to the fact that these growth times work in a lot more complicated manner then previosuly thought. Turns out it depends greatly on "Farming Ticks" and System time. This should not affect most flower patches, but it will affect a lot of the longer growing patches. Please also note these times serve mainly as a guide to growth times rather than an exact time for growth completion. I'm going to try my best to figure out how to give a more accurate indication of when your crops will be completed; but I'll need to give a good read to the forum post MaxPower sent me at the bottom of this thread. Another thing to keep in mind, Logging out can prolong your crops growth times depending on when you log out and what you are growing.

What is it?
    This is a new farming application I just developed that will notify you when your crops on Runescape have completed. As I have just developed this application, it will probably contain a few errors. I will be doing my own testing but please notify me of any errors that arise. I got the growth times off a website so they might not all be accurate; so please notify me of ones that are inaccurate and I will try to work on a fix for it.

Please leave feedback, improvements, what you think of the program etc. it's all much appreciated thanks.

How To use:
    1. You plant your crops (Currently only Flower, Herb Allotment, and hops patches are supported)
    2. You Press Start on the patch at one of four locations (Catherby, Falador, Ardougne, and Port Phas.),
    3. You choose your item you'll be planting and it will start a countdown timer. Once the countdown timer reaches 0, you will be notified by a system tray message and a sound alert of which crop has completed growing.

Plans for the future:
    * Code Patches: Allotment, Flowers, Herbs, Hops, Bushes, Trees and Fruit Trees
    * Add minutes and seconds rather than just seconds (Partly Done)
    * Code the file menu (Partly Done)
    * Create a better tutorial video
    * Add a super-compost timer
    * Add Auto-Updater

Why this is useful:
    You can be AFK, watching a movie, doing something else in Runescape and you will be notified exactly when your crops are done which dramatically maximizes your experience.
    And doing a farm run takes literally no time at all; and with useful teleports such as cabbage patch etc. you can really do your farming runs quickly.

Here is the download link: (V 0.2) (Up To Date):
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56920130/Gimbo%27s%20Farmer.exe

Also here's a video of me explaining it if your interested (Its pretty much the same as what I've said already though):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aZmXmVtjIo
    (This video is kind of outdated now as well. I'll make a better video closer to release of this application.)

Please test out this application and notify me of any errors or crops not completing in time etc.
    You can either reply to this post, PM me or leave a comment on my YouTube video/channel.

Testing I've Done:

Flowers: Limpwurt - Flawless - always completes on or close to timer going off.

Allotments: Sweetcorn - 3:08 off - need to test this one a bit more but it may just be that some crops are randomized slightly. Because this may generally be used for afking, I may decide to add on an extra 5 minutes that will ensure the crop is done as growth times show vary to about one growth cycle. I did log off during this test so I will need to redo it. (Logging off used to (not sure if it does now) make crops grow longer. but then again 3 minutes really isn't too much of a concern. I was already at the patch too. So if it took like 2 mins to get there; well your just waiting a minute.

Allotments: Strawberry - Way off - about 10 mins behind (A whole growth cycle). Should be able to fix by adding on an extra 10 mins. Will see how this turns out in my next farming run.

Herbs - Harralander - Done when I arrived at patch (took about 20 secs to get there). Seems pretty accurate to me.

As you can see growth times are fairly accurate. but tell me of patches not done in time. And if you can how much longer they took; don't worry too much about this though, I can do this myself.

How you can help:
    If you see any errors in the program:
    *Tell me what the error is
    *Brief description of what you did for the error to occur.
    *What location and what patch generates the error.

All feedback is much appreciated and will ensure the program is as good as it can be.
    Also if patches aren't complete when the timer goes off; please tell me which patches do this and I will do my best to fix it.

Version History:
    0.1 - Program created; simple interface; supports only allotment, herb and flower patches.
    0.11 - GUI massively updated. Added Tress, Fruit Trees, Bush and Hops patches. Not coded yet. Added file menu also. Still to be coded.
    0.12 - Added Auto Updater. Check for updates from the file menu.
    0.13 - Fixed up Falador Herb patch. Partly coded file menu. Auto updater now checks for updates on program launch.
    0.14 - Fixed labels displaying as black on Windows Aero theme. Exit button now works also.
    0.15 - Added minutes and seconds for all items on Catherby Allotment patch. Will start coding the rest as soon as I test if they are working correctly.
    0.2 - Added all hops patches and locations. Hops patch Times are in minutes and seconds. Modified strawberry time as for me it wasn't done in time. I still need to test though.
    Last edited by masterg174; 02-05-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I see you use BitTorrent. You should link your download to a torrent. That way there will be faster downloads and a possibility of new users of RS, SRL, being attracted by your upload. Just a thought.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)

I think the times are slightly randomized so that you can't know exactly when something has grown.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSnob View Post
    ETA's don't exist in SRL like they did in other communities. Want a faster update? Help out with updating, otherwise just gotta wait it out.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grihmm View Post
    I see you use BitTorrent. You should link your download to a torrent. That way there will be faster downloads and a possibility of new users of RS, SRL, being attracted by your upload. Just a thought.
    You do realise that it's only a 2mb file right..?
    You may contact me with any concerns you have.
    Are you a victim of harassment? Please notify me or any other staff member.

| SRL Community Rules | SRL Live Help & Chat | Setting up Simba | F.A.Q's |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey can anyone offer any suggests to what would make the layout better? I am thinking of adding a file menu which will make it seem more like a proper application. I know whats wrong with it, its the solid colours that are off putting. My friend suggested adding textures or something to it to make it look a bit better. But if anyone has any suggestions for how to make it look better, please tell me.
    A background would be nice too. But what are peoples thoughts on the interface (I.e. the 4 boxes with each location in it)?
    Should I lay it out differently?

Also I was thinking of having the crop selection screen in listbox form instead rather than a heap of buttons.
    I also need to make it so maximizing isn't enabled, that way it doesn't look out of place.

On another note...
    Have you guys seen the price of super compost these days? Its expensive...around 1k each.
    I was thinking of adding a super compost timer. It wouldn't even be a too shabby money making method.
    At the price of pineapples (~100gp ea), your making approx. 900gp profit per supercompost.

Also in the future, I will add trees and stuff too. I am open to any suggestions, improvements etc. though.
    I really want to make this as good as can be, as I think this will be a really useful application for people who enjoy farming in runescape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    You do realise that it's only a 2mb file right..?
    Perhaps it is just my natural instinct to want to upload to TPB. >.>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its really hard to read the text on this. The pictures show its white but mine is black. Just figured I would tell you =D.
    Also your exit button does not work.
    Last edited by Wes; 01-14-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Its really hard to read the text on this. The pictures show its white but mine is black. Just figured I would tell you =D.
    Also your exit button does not work.
    Ah thanks for telling me. Just found out that in windows classic mode its white but in Windows 7 Aero theme the labels are all black. I'm going to try work on a fix for this. But for now it will only be useable in classic mode.
    And yea, a lot of the file menu is still uncoded; but I'll problem code the other patches first before working on that.

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated

Edit: I just pushed an update to the server. Program should ask you to update on start up. Alternatively just redownload from top of thread. Labels display as white now; exit button also works

Edit 2: Forgot to fix it up for the other forms. Fixing it now

Edit 3: all fixed
    Last edited by masterg174; 01-15-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you want to understand the way farming timing works in runescape (especially for the trees that take a day to grow), I suggest you read this topic in the forums. I read through the full 7 pages and it was quite a good read.

Basically it explains why logging in/out can prolong growths and that the time you plant your seeds affects how long your growth will take, which makes a HUGE difference for the longer growing plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    If you want to understand the way farming timing works in runescape (especially for the trees that take a day to grow), I suggest you read this topic in the forums. I read through the full 7 pages and it was quite a good read.

Basically it explains why logging in/out can prolong growths and that the time you plant your seeds affects how long your growth will take, which makes a HUGE difference for the longer growing plants.
    Thanks. I never knew farming growth cycles were so complicated. Its still possible to modify this program to know exactly when crops will be done but it will require a lot more work. Looks like it will require implementation of the system time as well; it will have to be the user of the programs system time so that time zones aren't an issue.

Also I'll have to let people know not to log out during growth. I could maybe let them know when they can log out by some kind of alert. I'll see what I can do but it looks like its to be complicated to say at the least; first thing is getting my head around this post you sent me. I might even do some of my own testing to make sure too.

If this really wants to be a full proof program, I would need to implement some way of letting the user reset a growth cycle if they happened to log out for instance. At the end of the day though, this program is more of a guide to the growth times than a perfect resemblance of when your crops will be finished.

Thanks for sending this, its a good read

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Might it be possible that you provide us with the source code?
    SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba.
    We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WT-Fakawi View Post
    Might it be possible that you provide us with the source code?
    Absolutely, I'll upload it shortly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masterg174 View Post
    Absolutely, I'll upload it shortly
    OK, i've uploaded it now, it's at the top of the post
    Here it is again anyway:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56920130/Gim...%20date%29.rar

Feel free to look at the code, modify it anyway you like.
    Unfourtantly whilst started off, I didn't exactly give logical naming to my objects, hopefully its still possible to follow. I can rename them if it helps at all. Future objects are named correctly. Sorry for some of my messy coding also.
    Last edited by masterg174; 01-18-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Thread Information