Thread: A study on randoms :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default A study on randoms :)

Ok, this might be a snooze fest for some , but I thought it was interesting.

For the last few weeks I've been running runes, getting resources ready, and finally its time to Stun/Alch my way to 99 Magic! I started last night with water runes and a lava staff, and for the sake of order and my sanity Here's a list of the things i noted:

first 8 hours stun/alching (with Hati Paws, 2x stun exp)
    exp rate ~ 4600exp/min
    random occurance: every 15 mins. almost exact.
    amount of clicks required: 4

next 8 hours stun/alching (without paws)
    exp rate 3000exp/min
    randoms: 30 mins or so, sometimes an hour
    amount of clicks: 4

Next 2 hours OOPS! ran out of water runes!
    At this point i tried something stupid, and programed my script to
    switch between a lava and mud staff (too account for the runes)
    exp rate 2000exp/min
    randoms every 10-15 mins (WOW)
    amount of clicks: 7

I have heard on the forum that the frequency of randoms might be related to the speed of exp gained, repetitiveness of the action, or the lack of misclicks. through all three of these I believe they all play a part. I believe the system has a set of "normal rates" or such that if u stand out at all it randoms you bad.

Nothing groundbreaking i know, but its nice to see what gets ya randomed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know failing the prison pete random causes randoms to occur more often. It'd be interesting if seeing if logging out when a random occurs affects the rate or if its only failing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

There have been numerous discussions about randoms and there predictability, normally after a set amount of xp gain you can predict exactly when you will get the random.

I remember doing summoning on bonus xp weekend and after every 200-300k xp I gained I could literally predict a random was gonna occur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm... might have to try that. I have seen tons of stuff on pre-nuke day random speculation, but not much about the current state of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

it seems this way for me. eg my total lvl is 2040's when i gain 10% of that in xp/k eg 204k i get a random it is very predictable for me. got all sets and emote i have now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but randoms are called randoms for a reason. They're completely randomized and the algorithm for the randomization that JaGeX uses is very complex. I don't think that it'll be very easy to crack or even create a generalized idea/concept for the randomness of them.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

@ OP, I've never gotten randoms every 30 minutes even.
    I'm guessing you're flagged if you can get randoms every 15 minutes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XxX Toxin XxX View Post
    Guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but randoms are called randoms for a reason. They're completely randomized and the algorithm for the randomization that JaGeX uses is very complex. I don't think that it'll be very easy to crack or even create a generalized idea/concept for the randomness of them.
    I agree, but there is a trend that suggests that highly active exp intensive actions get more attention from the random system. I ran zmi for 20 hours, and I got 4 randoms total (lots of actions, little exp). Then I run my alch/stunner and BAM! randoms like crazy. So like I said, not groundbreaking stuff, just showing the information I wish I had when I joined

Oh, and ya I might have gotten flagged or something. I don't see how, my clicks and times are completely random, there's a ton of anti ban, and i judged how the bot looks compared to me normally and its a mirror image... maybe its all the time spent? or maybe that im stationary for 5 hours? or maybe... their watching me

Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

Use a mud staff buddy.... you will only need souls lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XxX Toxin XxX View Post
    Doubt it, it's probably just a time interval and an exp interval that is randomly generated after each random. Then there's probably certain places and things you do that pause these intervals.
    Last edited by Wanted; 01-19-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

The only thing I've discovered is that the "random timer" somehow resets when you log out and in again with a 5 minute break. (20 minutes play, 3-5 minutes break)

This can be used to bot for long periods without getting randoms. But might just be my luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Funny information: After being in GWD for an hour and almost 30 minutes, earning 60k+ experience or so, I'm not sure, in ranged and HP experience, I get a random the second I step out of GWD.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RISK View Post
    Funny information: After being in GWD for an hour and almost 30 minutes, earning 60k+ experience or so, I'm not sure, in ranged and HP experience, I get a random the second I step out of GWD.
    Same thing with dungeoneering and soul wars. If you get really fast xp you get a lot of randoms too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSnob View Post
    ETA's don't exist in SRL like they did in other communities. Want a faster update? Help out with updating, otherwise just gotta wait it out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

It is timed and on an experience based system. I have watched several max cape videos and they have said if you skip a random event (ones that you can) you will get 2 randoms in the time you would normally get your next 1 event, so that you don't lose any experience.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" (Henry Ford)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Something I noticed while getting my cooking level up:

If you make unfermented wine at a pretty quick pace, fast enough so that you bank them before you get any experience from you last batch, and do this for about 7-10 inventory loads and then stop. You are guaranteed to get a random event once your experience rolls in. I've done it multiple times, and even messed with people by triggering the random event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I have never gotten a random as frequently as the OP stated. I also used to think they were solely related to amount of XP gained but once I was running Silent Spy's plank maker(which gains 0xp for those who aren't familiar with making planks) and I received a random. Like Toxin said, they are random for a reason but there is a youtube video of someone exchanged the Squi'rt juice(however it's spelled) for thieving XP and he got a random every time he exchanged a full inventory of the juice. So in the end yes it is RELATED to xp gained on top of many other factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by h_king1998 View Post
    how come it does not bank in al-kharid when i do mine 1 drop 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akonowns View Post
    Use a mud staff buddy.... you will only need souls lol.
    I needed to Stun (water/earth) Then Alch (fire) so I switched staffs

O and I did that with the inventory of juice from sorceress garden, and I got a random every other inventory drop off. so ya, I think that high exp gains flags you.

Update: Slowed down my mouse, added longer pauses, decreased my exp rate by a few hundred, and now I have had 4 randoms in 5 hours.
    Last edited by JN13; 01-19-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Interesting..Maybe just bot in a random free spot?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Kinda going offtopic, but I do remember watching a Clan Pk Video (I believe it was Final Ownage) they were at the wilderness and someone had said 'bot' or something about 50 people following the leader got a random lmao, Ima go find that video and post it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

all I found was a vid of a guy that got randomed in the wilderness and came back right on top of a pk clan... but that video sounds awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

when rsbot was still up, i used to make craft water runes. it could run up to more than 48 hours without getting a single random. i think things that involve a lot of movement lowers the chance of getting randoms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard222 View Post
    when rsbot was still up, i used to make craft water runes. it could run up to more than 48 hours without getting a single random. i think things that involve a lot of movement lowers the chance of getting randoms
    Agree'd. I'm smelting cannonballs 24/7 and only get one random a day (if that).

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)

On double xp weekend, if you summon is like 400k xp/hour, you get randoms every 5 minutes, quite anoying actually
    GLH Tutorial ~ OpenGL Scripting
    http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1292150

GLH Scripts ~ Abyssal Scripts
    http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1293187
    Current Projects:
    A) DemiseSlayer Pro (Released/100%).
    B) Demise Power Miner(Released/100%).
    C) Demise Pyramid Plunder(Planning Stage/0%).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wonder if Optumus will change the whole random system. I keep hearing on the official forums that some mods want to make the randoms only mandatory for lower level players due to the stress on the game server and the FPS lag it causes.
    Currently: Very busy
    Future Goals: finish nursing school, RS later.

Thread Information