Thread: How to Become an SRL Member

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Default How to Become an SRL Member

Guide to SRL Members

Purpose:
    The goal of this tutorial is to put a dent in the growing amount of applications that we (SRL Members) see nowadays which will pretty much get an instant-no vote.
    Understanding The System:
    First, you must understand the process on how you become an eligible SRL Member.

When you apply, you are essentially creating a new forum thread (you can notice how your post count goes up when you do). This new forum thread contains all the information you filled out when you submitted your form. It also contains a poll, with the following options: 'Yes', and 'No'. We (SRL Members) vote by either choosing the 'Yes' option or the 'No' option. If you have 65% or more votes in your favour, you will most likely be guaranteed the SRL Member rank, however, please note that a staff member has the ultimate decision.
    Submitting Your Application:
    First of all, do you meet the following requirements?
    • I am nice and helpful around the forums?
    • I have got to know many people from the community?
    • I have been here for a while (greater than one/two months)?
    • I have a script?
    • I am not applying within a month of my last application (if you had one)?

Those points will be expanded upon later, but that right there pretty much gives you a basis on what we vote on.

Okay, so you passed that little test with at least a score of 100% (yes, 100%) and you want to become an SRL member? Great, so here's the steps:
    1. First, find the link that says Apply for SRL Membership. See the picture below if you are still confused as to what you should click.
    2. Once you've clicked on that, you are now greeted with the application you need to fill out. See below to learn how to answer these questions, although they are quite self-explanatory.
      • How long have you played RuneScape? How many years have you played RuneScape for? This gives us an idea on how familiar you are with the game, and when you decided to start botting. This doesn't really affect the application result, and can be anything. But, please be truthful.
      • Are you affilated in anyway with Jagex LTD? Well, are you? This somewhat does affect the application process (it's just a signal for us to be more strict and careful when voting). In accordance with our terms of service, it is illegal for members/associates of Jagex to enter, browse and use this forums.
      • Were you Referred to SRL? This requires either a Yes or No answer. It basically means who brought you here? How did you find out about us (SRL)? Although it isn't really necessary (since it *should* be in your profile), you are still required to fill it out. This does not affect the application result at all.
      • If you were referred, by whom? If you answered Yes to the above question, who brought you here?
      • What is your general programming knowledge? List all the programming languages you know how to code in, quite well. This shows us (the voters) how knowledgable you are in other fields of programming, and what you are capable of. This also does not affect the application result at all.
      • Are you a member of any other communities? (If yes please name them): Sythe? PowerBot? RSBuddy? Robotzindisguise? Other forums/communities on the web? Give us your username on the respective forums as-well if you are. This can allow us to get an in-depth understanding and history of what you are like, your attitude and your capabilities. However, most don't. This also does not affect the application result.
      • Tell us about yourself...: What's your name? Where are you from? What do you like doing (i.e. hobbies)? Do you still go to school or attend university? If the latter, which course are you doing? People generally read this to get a feel of who you are, and to see if they are like you. People at this community are constantly looking to make friends (NOT in a sad way ). Please remember to not post any personally identifiable information!
      • Please show us one (or multiple) of your scripts.: Here's one of the most important bits of any application - your script. This script HAS to be written and able to compile in Simba. It must work. Show us a progress report of it working! Make sure it isn't too short, and make sure scripting standards are suitable for others to read! Put your script inside tags, and don't attach it! Also, a note to everyone: There is NEVER a case where plagiarism isn't caught out. It always is, and if you do, you will be a suspension (ban) from the forums - simple, just don't do it.

3. Now, go back over and check your application for any errors, and simply bad language. You want this to be perfect!
    4. Once you are satisfied, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
    5. You will be directed to something which looks like a new thread (because it IS a new thread)! Favourite/Bookmark this link, as this is where SRL Members will talk to you, and tell you why you are getting a No vote from them, and why you are getting a Yes vote, plus information on how to improve your script (there's always room for improvement!)
    What do we look for?
    This will be divided up in to three categories. As these three things will be what decides the result of your application. Ranked in order of importance (to least important):

Attitude:
    This is what we look for in SRL Members. Attitude. If an applicant doesn't have a good attitude, too bad, so sad, you won't be getting in. Don't swear, don't harass, or anything else that is considered rude, disrespectful, vulgar and crude. And do note, it isn't just your application we look at for attitude - it is the entire forums. Always someone will remember when someone has a repeatedly horrid attitude, and they always will bring it up in the application. Attitude is the deciding factor in an application, and if you have an incredible attitude and have been around for a while, you can often get in with a next-to-nothing script.

Activity also falls under the attitude category. Do you constantly help people? Do you not spam? Do you show that you want to learn and won't just leave or are just in it for the scripts (if you are, don't bother applying)?

Script:
    I will divide this up in to three sections, definite, not required and instant-no. The definite is what we definitely look for, and will vote no if those items are not present. The not required section is what we would like to see, but are not required to pass:

Definite:
    • Intrinsic documentation (is your script formatted properly [i.e. standards]? do you use suitable variable/method names?)
    • Use of TPAs (TPointArrays)
    • Custom object finding (that means using NO FindObj* or ACA, make up your own!)
    • Use of auto-colouring (NO ACA generated functions)
    • Walking (try not to use SPS, but instead try TPA walking/use RadialWalk)
    • Appropriate use of variable scope (i.e. local/global variables)
    • Loops (repeat..Until, while..do and for..to..do)
    • Arrays
    • Case statements
    • Randomisation (i.e. use Wait(200 + Random(300)) instead of just Wait(200))
    • Backups/fail safes (in case something goes wrong, do what?)
      A most common fail-safe is to add if(not(LoggedIn)) then Exit;
    • Anti-randoms
    • A script greater than 300 lines

Not required (but nice to show):
    • Memory management (i.e. don't load and free a DTM in a procedure, then continuously call that procedure. Load it once, then free it at the end of the script)
    • DTM finding (e.g. for inventory/bank objects, equipped items, etc)
    • DDTMs
    • Banking
    • Multiplayer (try to always include multiplayer unless your script is superb)
    • Anti-ban
    • Combining methods (i.e. not having one-liner procedures/functions or a separate method for every single little task)

Things that will get you an instant-no:
    • Use of rudimentary mouse methods (i.e. MoveMouse and ClickMouse)
    • Clicking static coordinates
    • NOT utilising the SRL include
    • Solely using reflection/interception/injection techniques, without any colour finding or colour fail-safes involved.
    • Only using FindObj*/FindDTM* to find objects on the main screen
    • Having inefficient code
    • Having code that is illogical
    • Having NO script! (<- should be obvious)

Longevity:
    This is least important as so many people have little regard for it, or will only take this into account if the user applying is submitting his/her application immediately after registration, or within the same month of registering on the forums. If however, you are well known, helpful and active, then longevity won't really matter regardless of your duration here at the forums.
    The Thread:
    Remember to favourite/bookmark the thread link. SRL Members will often pose questions, and comment on your script and you in general. Feel free to respond to these in kind! If you get a 'No' vote, don't reply saying, "Looks like I won't be getting in...", that's just a negative attitude right there. Be positive, remain positive, and we will be the same with you. Treat others as how you expect to be treated.
    FAQs:
    How long does voting take?
    The poll, by default, automatically disables new entries two-weeks after the application was made. However, it all depends.

If it is obvious (which some are), and you receive a significant amount of yes votes compared to no votes, then a staff member will manually close the thread and the poll and give you the rank of SRL Members.

If however, it is rather close (or the user has a significant amount of no votes), they (the staff) will let the poll run for the full two weeks then tally up the results and decide whether or not the use is allowed to become an SRL member.

What if I don't get more than 65% votes in favour, but I still have more yes's than no's?
    A staff member will close the thread stating when you can apply again (generally, it is one month).

Do I have to create a new script to apply with?
    No, absolutely not! You can apply with a script you have already released to the public. In fact, it is encouraged to do so!

When can I apply again if I failed the first time?
    One month. Unless stated otherwise by a staff member. Sometimes (albeit rarely), staff members will allow a user to reapply again after two weeks have passed.

Can I apply with a team script?
    Sure, but only if the majority of it is your work (majority in this case being ~65% or more), with code that isn't yours properly credited and commented.
    Super Secret Information:
    This information is incredibly secret, and the original posts are only found in the SRL Members section (only visible to SRL members). So shh, don't tell anyone I had it here <_>

Serious note: I'm putting it here because I don't see why it isn't relevant, and why people applying can't know how we vote (it's basically just a repetition of the aforementioned).
    Quote Originally Posted by BenLand100 View Post
    For those of you that suffer from acute recurrent ignorance, here are some rules and guidelines:
    1. Only vote "no" if you have proof the person is a spammer, liar, or overall bad guy
    2. Be open to different outlooks on people.

Remember: In the applications we are looking for the following types of people:
    1. People with good attitudes
    2. People who are willing to contribute
    3. People scripting with the SRL include
    4. People following SRL guidelines - Multiplayers, breaking out of potential infinite loops, Antirandoms, Antiban, good scripting standards etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    F.A.Q.
    Q: On a bad application (eg: "hello world") what should I do?
    A: Report the post, link the applicant to the requirements thread and explain why his application is a bad one.

Q: What if we don't know the person who is applying?
    A: You don't need to know them. Sometimes it is better to not know them personally to remove an bias' there may be.

Q: What if you hate the person applying?
    A: Don't vote. If you honestly believe the person would not be a good member then you may post your reasons why in a polite way.

Q: What if it is not an RS script?
    A: Judge it as another kind of script. If you think the script is not complex enought then vote according to your thoughts. RS scripts are the usual in applications, but not a must.

Q: What if it is not a Simba Script?
    A: A simba script is a must for SRL Members, as this is a group for those who have shown proficiency in simba scripting.
    Basically those posts reiterate what I said above. And also brings up another point, the application process is neutral.
    Final Note:
    For those that have satisfied all of the requirements, "Good luck!" For those that don't, you will get there, just keep trying! For those that are only in it for the scripts and/or leechers, forget it, you won't be getting in.

Post on this thread if you have any further questions regarding the process, and we will reply
    Regards,
    Daniel.
    Last edited by Daniel; 08-08-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    You may contact me with any concerns you have.
    Are you a victim of harassment? Please notify me or any other staff member.

| SRL Community Rules | SRL Live Help & Chat | Setting up Simba | F.A.Q's |

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

+rep!! Sticky this! Daniel has this dialled in, this is exactly what we look for!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Excellent guide, very much needed. Hopefully the link to this thread will be put into the welcome message when it's implemented.

Good job, Daniel.
    Varrock gTanner
    Previously known as England155.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I have a question.

If you make a script before becoming a member of SRL, keep updating it to match RuneScape, everyone is using it, and later you wish to become one, can you use the same script to apply?

My curiosity amazes me...

Edit: Whew, Thanks Mister Hob...

HOBBIT???? AAAAAAA!!!
    Last edited by Rezozo; 02-05-2012 at 02:52 AM.

For the basics of the basics of pascal, try my TuT. ||Photoshop Editing ||MapleResourceDung Script || Book a flight! BuySellTrip

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joeygupta View Post
    I have a question.

If you make a script before becoming a member of SRL, keep updating it to match RuneScape, everyone is using it, and later you wish to become one, can you use the same script to apply?

My curiosity amazes me...
    Yes, it is still a script you have made
    STOP PM'ING ME

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Wonderful job with this. I couldn't agree more.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for this might apply soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really appreciate this. It clears up some questions.

One other question though - you say we don't need to come up with a new script if we released one here. Do we need to come up with a new script if it was declined? As in can I edit it a previous entry to use more things & fix mistakes and retry with it or would it be better to go ahead and just make a new script altogether?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

Awesome post! This explained beautifully! Only thing, make sure you point out that the script has to be for Runescape.
    Away for awhile, life is keeping me busy. | Want to get my attention in a thread? @Kyle Undefined; me.
    { MSI Phoenix || SRL Stats Sigs || Paste || Scripts || Quotes || Graphics }

When posting a bug, please post debug! Help us, help you!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. || To be the best, you've got to beat the rest. || Logic never changes, just the syntax.
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ, or about a script that is not mine, I will NOT respond.

SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba. We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

I was going to make one of these. Very nice though, I love it!
    ...all the secret information :P

Great job, rep.
    E: nope, I need to spread my rep around first.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lilcmp1 View Post
    I really appreciate this. It clears up some questions.

One other question though - you say we don't need to come up with a new script if we released one here. Do we need to come up with a new script if it was declined? As in can I edit it a previous entry to use more things & fix mistakes and retry with it or would it be better to go ahead and just make a new script altogether?
    You can modify it. As long as it meets the guidelines above, and you take into account what SRL member have said on your last application.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Undefined View Post
    Awesome post! This explained beautifully! Only thing, make sure you point out that the script has to be for Runescape.
    Doesn't really have to be for RuneScape if it's superb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's most impressive. Some of these I didn't quite know until I check out others' appliances in the members section (2 weeks voting time, etc)

One thing about the longevity. I think it's rare for someone to get in within 6 weeks after registering here, right?

About the instant-no items. I think it's not very bad to use the rudimentary mouse methods if you are aware of what you're doing. For example, I use ClickMouse2 after I checked my mouse pos is in the region I want. I agree crude static coords clicking is a no, but coords clicking with randomisation and added failsafes are sometimes good acid tests in some applications.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nosaj.421 View Post
    About the instant-no items. I think it's not very bad to use the rudimentary mouse methods if you are aware of what you're doing. For example, I use ClickMouse2 after I checked my mouse pos is in the region I want. I agree crude static coords clicking is a no, but coords clicking with randomisation and added failsafes are sometimes good acid tests in some applications.
    ClickMouse2 is different to ClickMouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Daniel, thank you for the awesome guide. As a new member I am finding this guide and the tutorials in your signature most helpful. I really appreciate all the time and effort you have been putting into helping us new people out.

I do have one question for you that I hope you can answer. How much help are we allowed to ask for in order to make our scripts the best they can be? Personally, I have been reading through tons and tons of guides without practicing in many scripts yet. I am trying my best to learn things on my own with the resources available, but I was wondering if by asking for help, do you look down upon someone who applies for SRL Members more as opposed to someone who has been able to figure everything out and write their script completely on their own? Thanks!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaYBeeZ View Post
    I do have one question for you that I hope you can answer. How much help are we allowed to ask for in order to make our scripts the best they can be? Personally, I have been reading through tons and tons of guides without practicing in many scripts yet. I am trying my best to learn things on my own with the resources available, but I was wondering if by asking for help, do you look down upon someone who applies for SRL Members more as opposed to someone who has been able to figure everything out and write their script completely on their own? Thanks!
    There is no limit to asking questions. Ask as much as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the guidelines !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

time to BRING THE THUNDAH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good To know these things I need to refresh my memory on Thanks Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is nice... But one thing, if someone votes no they should definetly have to post why cause when i get no's only like 1 or 2 post why and then i fix and edit those things and make my multiple scripts better. But then when i have 15 or so other no's then what did i do wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laakerules View Post
    This is nice... But one thing, if someone votes no they should definetly have to post why cause when i get no's only like 1 or 2 post why and then i fix and edit those things and make my multiple scripts better. But then when i have 15 or so other no's then what did i do wrong?
    I agree 100% with laakerules because he has made some great scripts and should be members by now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laakerules View Post
    I believe they do post why they voted yes or no. And I think you only apply with 1 script so make it your best.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Failedpure View Post
    I think you only apply with 1 script so make it your best.
    There's no stopping you to apply with multiple. But, keep in mind, that all scripts added up should meet the above requirements. As long as you know and understand concepts and show that you do understand them, then you should be fine.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

dang it Daniel you know how many places I have to go to change out this guide for the other one? I read through the whole thing this I must admit is a pretty amazing guide. I'll replace the old one in a few places but others I'll just add it to the list. Cheers on the great tutorial.

"Sometimes User's don't need the Answer spelled out with Code. Sometimes all they need is guidance and explanation of the logic to get where they are going."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Thanks for this guide I would like to be some day a SRL member but the scripts I do are really buggy but time on time. Thanks for this pots +rep for you hehe :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you so much! I am fairly new to the forums, but I hope to start contributing with some awesome scripts (I hope) and some good feedback. Thanks for clearing up some questions, and I hope I get to meet some more peeps >

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information