Thread: Windows Freeware/tweaks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Post Windows Freeware/tweaks

Windows Freeware/tweaks

All of these worked for me on Windows XP SP3

1. Has to be Launchy, this adds like windows 7 start menu search functionality to Windows XP. Define a hotkey, or have it up all the time. Loads of options. You can pull it up with a hotkey, search for a program, or whatever and open it. You have to keep it all indexed though. So anything you want to be able to look up with Launchy put in your All Programs menu in your start menu. Then on Launchy there is a "Rebuild catalog button". Launchy has different skins, options, like mine I just use alt + space, and it shows up right above my start menu above all other programs. To send it away, load something from it or click somewhere else ( if you have the options setup that way ). Says on site works on XP/Vista/7

2. Vista Switcher, tons of options, you can make the window stay up permanently or just when your alt+tabing, this is an alt+tab replacement. On Vista this also has window previews, XP doesn't support this though. For this you can right click one of your applications running and click END PROCESS. Says on site works on XP/Vista/7

3. ClipX, the best clip board manager. Just right click the icon in your system tray, and click manage. You'll see everything you've been copying and pasting for a while unless maybe you messed with some options to clear them. Says on site works on XP/Vista/7

4. PhraseExpress! If you type a lot, or just use the computer regularly this comes in handy. You can set this up so that if you typed "yt" it would be replaced by "youtube.com" right after you typed yt. Loads of options. You can make lists too, like if I type "stores" a context menu will popup with names of stores I put in e.g. walmart, target, etc. you can click it with the mouse or use the arrow keys and press enter. It's a little confusing at first but well worth it for lazys. Says on site works on XP/Vista/7

5. Aero Snap, with this you can drag windows to make them fit the screen a certain way. If you drag the edge of the window all the way to the right edge of the screen it will make the window take up the right side of your screen. Snapping windows around. Says on site works on XP/Vista

6. allSnap, use this to snap windows to each other, Aero Snap just did the sides now this does window to window, and it can even snap to grid or center of desktop. Says on site works on win9x/NT/2000/XP/Vista, for Windows 7 its in beta version said to work though.

7. Update Checker, checks for updates to your programs ( a good amount of programs not all though ) even provides download links for latest versions. If you don't want to see Beta Version's turn it off in settings. Can be run at start up I don't recommend it though because it spazzes out. Site says it works on Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2003, 2000, ME or 98.

8. Paint.NET, really nice Microsoft Paint replacement. Setup sort of like Adobe Photoshop. Has a good amount of features. Plugins, unlimited undos you can't go wrong. Says on site works on XP/Vista/7

9. XP-AntiSpy, this is a very powerful Windows tweaker. You can turn off Windows Update, Time, Reporting, etc services. Also lots of other tweaks you may have not even known about. If a box is check marked the tweak will be or already is applied. None of this can harm your computer so its unusable, but might mess up some features with it if you check mark the wrong box. Surprisingly sites says it works on Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7.

10. Soluto, it can check your boot time and how long each program took to load, and suggest you things. Also for internet browsers it will suggest to you which ones to disable because they hog memory or for whatever reason. If your computer crashes this is supposed to tell you why. Still in beta I think but looks promising. You have to sign up in order to download, sort of like Skypes site. Works on Windows XP so probably works on Vista/7 too.

Feel free to correct me on any text errors. For now I'm adding unique apps/tweaks ones that aren't common place like CCleaner. So suggest a "unique" one. Has to be Free. Can be a replacement too, like Paint.NET.

Last edited by LordJashin; 02-22-2012 at 02:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is a nice tutorial you have made here, but xp is quite outdated. If I recall correctly Microsoft stopped supporting xp a little while ago. You would be better off going to a newer os.

Not tricked out in graphics, because i like speed better. If I wanted graphics I'd go to Windows7.
    You can set visual styles in vista and windows 7 to classic modes.
    Last edited by uz3; 02-18-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uz3 View Post
    This is a nice tutorial you have made here, but xp is quite outdated. If I recall correctly Microsoft stopped supporting xp a little while ago. You would be better off going to a newer os.

You can set visual styles in vista and windows 7 to classic modes.
    If you look at the history of Microsoft's Windows OS, XP has been the most stable, most supported, and so why would I be better off? Most programs support XP, there's even some that ONLY support it. When the day comes when it isn't supported by programs, sure upgrade. Otherwise why? So I can give Microsoft money, or make my comp slower? Hell no, Win 7 has tons of bugs anyway, XP's have been ironed out mostly.
    Last edited by LordJashin; 02-20-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordJashin View Post
    If you look at the history of Microsoft's Windows OS, XP has been the most stable, most supported, and so why would I be better off? Most programs support XP, there's even some that ONLY support it. When the day comes when it isn't supported by programs, sure upgrade. Otherwise why? So I can give Microsoft money, or make my comp slower? Hell no, Win 7 has tons of bugs anyway, XP's have been ironed out mostly.
    Please give me some examples of bugs you've experienced first hand. I've used Windows 7 for a few years now and I have yet to have any BSOD errors or system failures. It is by far the best OS I've used from Microsoft and it has had perfect support for any application I've needed to run from day one.

It really surprises me that people still willingly choose to run XP and use all this crapware/bloatware to try and mimic the UI or features of other OS's. If your computer can handle the run that crap then you can handle Windows 7 easily and have a much more responsive OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually the only time I've had bsods was on windows xp. Windows 7 is extremely stable.

If you look at the history of Microsoft's Windows OS, XP has been the most stable, most supported, and so why would I be better off?
    Xp only supports 4 gigs of ram, Windows 7 seems to be more stable, xp will get more bugs as less programs support it, Windows 7 isn't a dying os...
    Last edited by uz3; 02-20-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    Please give me some examples of bugs you've experienced first hand. I've used Windows 7 for a few years now and I have yet to have any BSOD errors or system failures. It is by far the best OS I've used from Microsoft and it has had perfect support for any application I've needed to run from day one.

It really surprises me that people still willingly choose to run XP and use all this crapware/bloatware to try and mimic the UI or features of other OS's. If your computer can handle the run that crap then you can handle Windows 7 easily and have a much more responsive OS.

Why is software "crapware" if it tries to add features comparable to ones other OS's have? You could say that for any of the OS's out there. For bugs, just conflicts with things, and UAC is annoying. I don't remember much off the top of my head, I should have looked deeper into tweaking Win7 more maybe to run more like my XP does now. I never had good luck with compatibility mode settings on Win7, and getting some programs to work. Some would work, others wouldn't. I agree that WinXP isn't as user friendly as Win7. But I do notice a change in speed using XP SP3 over Win7. Even with Win7's UI, services, and tons of crap turned off there's still a speed difference there. I wouldn't care as much, if my computer was more modern. Like say a 2.5ghz I3 dual core or better with a graphics card.

Most stable because, its been out longer, pretty much all the errors can be googled, and it's more bare bone then Win7. Most supported, once again errors can be googled, also support doesn't end till 2014.

I guess this topic can swing both ways haha

Really depends on what computer specs u have dell

Edit: I'm going to get rid of XP Optimizations, and just rename this thread to "Windows freeware/tweaks"
    Last edited by LordJashin; 02-22-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Gotta love that Comic Sans.
    Join the IRC! irc.rizon.net:6667/srl | SQLite (0.99rc3+) | SRL Doc | Simba Doc | Extra Simba Libraries (openSSL & sqlite3)
    Quote Originally Posted by #srl
    10:45 < Toter> daphil when can get sex anyday I want
    10:45 < Toter> he is always on #SRL
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Try PMing a staff member to do it for you.
    Simba Code:
    (* Main *)

repeat
      WriteLn('I am an idiot!');
    until(False);

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Thanks for this post, it has been really useful for me. I was seacrhing something like soluto but I didn't find any good. That's perfect and also installed clipx, anti-spy and update cheker.

Thank you and rep for you ^^

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexes View Post
    Thanks for this post, it has been really useful for me. I was seacrhing something like soluto but I didn't find any good. That's perfect and also installed clipx, anti-spy and update cheker.

Thank you and rep for you ^^
    Update checker might make your computer slower if you run it at start up. So just run it every once in a while. I found having it run at start up causes problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

I think you missed one: FireFox with HTTPpipelining turned on. Seriously speeds up load times on pages; for me anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzah View Post
    I think you missed one: FireFox with HTTPpipelining turned on. Seriously speeds up load times on pages; for me anyway.
    Seriously, that still helps? What about on the latest firefox 11.0?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Seriously, that still helps? What about on the latest firefox 11.0?
    You know what HTTP pipelining is right? It will help no matter what version of a browser you're using.
    Join the IRC! irc.rizon.net:6667/srl | SQLite (0.99rc3+) | SRL Doc | Simba Doc | Extra Simba Libraries (openSSL & sqlite3)
    Quote Originally Posted by #srl
    10:45 < Toter> daphil when can get sex anyday I want
    10:45 < Toter> he is always on #SRL
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thread Information