Thread: Reputation system

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Default Reputation system

Statement: remove negative repution.

Thread that make me think about it: http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77208

At the moment the reputation system used on this forum works with people giving each other positive and negative reputation. A certain quantity based on the giver there reputation power will be added to or removed from the current amount of the receiver his/her reputation. This will then increase the amount of green boxes shown under the username. This is supposed to be a representation of the way the community feels about someone and the amount of respect the person receives from the community.

The point from this system I don't like and would like to discuss is that you are able to disapprove someones post based on it's content. It happens that people receive de rep purely based on the fact that the user has posted a opinion different than the the person that disapproves. I think that this is doesn't reflect the purpose of the reputation system and will force users to post opinions that are accepted by the community. I believe this is a system that indirectly removes the right of free speech on this forum. For that matter I would like to see this function removed.

Another reason to remove this function could be the purpose if it is used correctly. Why would someone hand out negative reputation to an other user? If the other person really misbehaves or is trying to start a flame war a member with the power to hand out warnings and infraction(ssrl+) will review the post if you report it. This is the method these users should be punished by, not by giving negative reputation cause from your point of view the user misbehaved. It's, till a certain degree, back seat modding from other users. If I posted an offensive post with or without a few curses, I would probably receive some negative reputation and an infraction. Why is there a need to hand out that negative rep? The warning or infraction isn't shown in my public profile for a reason. It isn't necessary to carry that note around.

When negative reputation is removed people there reputation will reflect all the good or amazing posts this person has made. I believe that it is more important to value someone for there good posts, then forgetting those posts when he or she made a bad post. This is also a question what do you want to be shown by the reputation? The amount someone contributed to this community by scripts, help and useful posts would be my answer to that question. What else do you want to be displayed by the reputation system? It would be an improvement to the current system which doesn't give an accurate amount of reputation earned by a person. What if a person wrote an awesome tutorial, but then states in another thread that he disapproves the homosexual marriage, the odds are that he will receive few or no reputation cause of the negative reputation. I would like that to be fixed.

Note that I do not receive many negative reputation.

Discuss.
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree. I'm about 90% certain my mark down was based off a post I made under a Religious topic speaking on an atheist point of view, but I saw the next day when I got on I was marked down, and that was the last thread I was posting in Before I was marked down. Kind of seems like I didn't deserve the bad rep being that the topic was on a religious debate, so my opinion was allowed to be against majority of beliefs. "/

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jcjcjc View Post
    I agree. I'm about 90% certain my mark down was based off a post I made under a Religious topic speaking on an atheist point of view, but I saw the next day when I got on I was marked down, and that was the last thread I was posting in Before I was marked down. Kind of seems like I didn't deserve the bad rep being that the topic was on a religious debate, so my opinion was allowed to be against majority of beliefs. "/
    If you want to be sure you can check it. When you go to User CP you can view your negative reputation points added. The thread is specified there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)

For this reason you can turn the reputation system off if you want. I have personally never given anyone negative reputation nor received one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSnob View Post
    ETA's don't exist in SRL like they did in other communities. Want a faster update? Help out with updating, otherwise just gotta wait it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wow I got -7 points from it,and yeah it was from the thread 'God' two of my posts on there got negative rep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I support this constructive use of the rep system , negative I have received and deserved footballjds gave me and I respect and believe he was right in doing so, other negative rep about my name, now that's childish, politically incorrect grammar got me derep, I have had 2 notable people rep me + from this site master and Kyle, both posted names for those of you who know me you know how I am I try to help where I can.

Sorry master for drifting a little off topic. Just thought it would add to what you have stated

~~one1988
    We are VillaVu a community, We are Simba.
    Hear us Roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
    ~Life is what you decide to make it, nothing is pre-ordained other than the steps you choose to make~
    ~Karma is Fierce, do the wrong thing and she will get you~!d

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weequ View Post
    For this reason you can turn the reputation system off if you want. I have personally never given anyone negative reputation nor received one.
    I rarely get one. But it's more about the system. I don't see any use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcjcjc View Post
    wow I got -7 points from it,and yeah it was from the thread 'God' two of my posts on there got negative rep
    You did a four year grave dig . That's what I meant with backseat modding. You shouldn't received negative rep from that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you can find more information on this (I tried, but can't find it anymore) you will see that Reputation means nothing. In fact, it could be in the forum rules by Fakawi saying that reputation has no meaning here and if you like, you can turn it off. No real point in removing just the negative side of it.

Thread Information