Thread: Other text editors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Default Other text editors?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone used a different editor besides simba for script writing that actually works well. The lack of syntax highlighting and overall inability to easily change my color scheme annoys the crap out of me

I started using sublime text 2 for scripting. I had to tinker with it to get auto-completion to work properly but otherwise it kind of works. Biggest issue with that is I can’t really compile it inside of sublime. I have to ctr-a code and paste it into simba then compile/run it. While it is a pain, it’s definitely easier on the eyes when doing those all-nighters.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

I just use Simba myself, haven't noticed any problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

It's not even so much of a problem, just a quality of life thing. Have been using it for awhile but still miss the luxury of a more modern compiler.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

I use Sublime2 and Notepad++..

I'm not sure the last time I wrote a script.. I just watch the forums I guess :l

After using Simba for a while, you'll get used to the highlighting. Yeah it's pretty bad but it's not like there is a lot of "keywords" right?
    I mean yeah, operators should be highlighted and procedures/function keywords should have a highlight.. but meh.. There isn't really "much" to highlight.

I'm not so sure I even remember the syntax difference between a char and a string (seeing as single quotes is a char in other languages.. Not a string).
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-16-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

bluefish, works across all operating systems and is way better than notepad++
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    bluefish, works across all operating systems and is way better than notepad++
    Never heard of that. Gonna give it a shot.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StickToTheScript View Post
    Never heard of that. Gonna give it a shot.
    http://www.bennewitz.com/bluefish/st...inaries/win32/
    direct dl for windows: http://www.bennewitz.com/bluefish/st....2.4-setup.exe (newest as of now)
    http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/download.html

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Hmm.. that does look nice.. I might give it a shot too, never heard of it.

Thought i was living it up with notepad++.. lolol

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Is it really that bad lol?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Barbrady View Post
    I just use notepad ++ because it sucks so bad to try and find and replace words n rearrange the script..
    It feels like im on Microsoft Word 97 and its just not doing what i want lol

I'm a bookkeeper.. So i love doing things in the fastest way possible (keyboard commands etc.. and simba just doesn't have enough)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

Notepad ++ if you want something else, but I think Simba is just fine.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

I think for what simba does, it does it way better than notepad++... bluefish has all the fancy features of knowing every function etc, for many languages (it knows all functions of php, all css/3, all html etc) that's why I like it.. I can type something like 'str' and it'll give me strstr and strpos and tell me all the stuff for them.. like the haystack string & the needle search string for strstr, etc.. for hundreds of functions

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

I think for what simba does, it does it way better than notepad++... bluefish has all the fancy features of knowing every function etc, for many languages (it knows all functions of php, all css/3, all html etc) that's why I like it.. I can type something like 'str' and it'll give me strstr and strpos and tell me all the stuff for them.. like the haystack string & the needle search string for strstr, etc.. for hundreds of functions
    Well.. we could always make the simba one look better

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Well.. we could always make the simba one look better

oh yea colors would be really cool, forgot it didn't have that (haven't used it in months)

I just mean, when I code I like the program to actually help me, you know? Help me with functions, give me tips etc.. or else I might as well use notepad / wordpad, because the program is worthless to me
    which is why I liked simba & bluefish, because simba has the ctrl+space (I think it was) thing that shows you all the functions/procedures & bluefish automatically does it as you type

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

oh yea colors would be really cool, forgot it didn't have that (haven't used it in months)

I just mean, when I code I like the program to actually help me, you know? Help me with functions, give me tips etc.. or else I might as well use notepad / wordpad, because the program is worthless to me
    which is why I liked simba & bluefish, because simba has the ctrl+space (I think it was) thing that shows you all the functions/procedures & bluefish automatically does it as you type
    Yea I would love it if:

1) numbers were a darker blue
    2) functions/procedures were colored
    3) boolean/string colored

Thread Information