• Training
      • Money Making
    4. High levels
      • Training
      • Money Making
    5. PVP (Pking)
    6. FAQ

Introduction
    This is not an in depth guide it's just the basics and all you need to know to create a good tank account
    Welcome to my Mage/Range Tank Guide, in this guide I'm going to explain you the basics of a tank account, how to create it, how to get money, and some pvp tactics. First of all sorry for my english, it's my 3rd language and I don't use it much so I will commit some mistakes.
    What's a Range tank
    A Mage/Range Tank is an account which is mage/range based and has high defence. It uses to has low attack and strength levels (note: I say uses because there are some kinds of tanks with high str or att levels which I will explain on next point). These accounts use to take low damage (cause of they high defence and equipment) while they hit strong with bolts such as dragon, bakriminel...
    Here is a video of a tank called "I tank Blood" to have an idea of what a tank is and how it fights

Types of Mage/Range tank
    There are many kinds of mage range tanks, I will do a briefly explanation of the most commons types. These are:
    Maxed out Mage/Ranged Tank: It's lvl 109 without summoning, many people considers it the 'real' maxed tank. It has less than 149 combined attack and strength levels and 99 defence, constitution, mage, ranged and prayer. Some people doesn't consider this kind of tanks 'maxed out' until they don't get 99 summoning.

99 99 9999 99
    Pros:
    • Easy to do boss killing
    • Best Kind of Tank for multi
    • Best kind of tank for questing
    • Much clans prefer this kind of tanks cause of they multi abilities
    • Can use turmoil to tank, and ancient curses.
    Cons:
    • Expensive to create
    • Not the best choice for solo pking
    • Really high lvl
    • Requires an expensive equip to pk
    Maxed augury tank: It's lvl 107 combat and it's like the maxed out tank with the only difference of pray. There's also the rigour tank which is 1 combat lvl less these kind of tanks need lvl 74 pray but use to have 75 to wear spirit shields. These kind of tanks need high dung to be able to buy rigour and augury. Are a really good choice nowadays for pking.
    99 99 99 99 77
    Pros:
    • Good doing boss killing
    • Good for solo and multi pk
    • Good for questing
    • Can use rigour, augury.
    • Not really expensive to create
    Cons:
    • Requires high dung level
    • High lvl
    • Requires an expensive equip to pk

Old School Maxed Tank: These kind of tanks are not really common now. It used to be one of the best kind of accounts on 2006-2008, these are like a maxed out tank but with the difference that these have 52 prayer.
    99 99 99 99 52
    Pros:
    • Good for questing
    • Cheap to create
    • Not high combat level
    Cons:
    • Not the best choice to pk
    • Not the best choice for boss killing
    • Not the best choice for questing

75 def Maxed Tank: These kind of tanks are low combat which makes them good in solo pking, mainly [edge] against pures... These tanks have many variants, can have 52 pray which would be old school 75 def tank, can have 77 pray which would be 75 def augury tank and can have 74 pray for 75 def rigour tank, maxed out 75 def tank which has 99 pray...The most common now is the rigour so I will focus on it.
    75 99 99 99 74
    Pros:
    • Good for questing
    • Best choice fot solo pk
    • Low combat level
    Cons:
    • Not the best choice to multi pk

Dragon claws/dagger Maxed Tank: These kind of tanks are not really common because create these is hard. These are probably one of the funnier kinds of tank to pk with, they have many options to combine and turmoil can make of them a "pk machine".
    There are many variants of this tank the best choice would be the 75 defence variant of dragon maxed tank. But I'll focus on the dragon claws maxed tank because it's more complete

60 99 99 99 99 99 99
    Pros:
    • Can trybrid
    • Good for questing
    • Can use d claws special to KO
    • High combat level (with 75 def the combat is good to pk)
    Cons:
    • Expensive to create
    Maul Maxed Tank: Like the dragon claws tank these aren't common, because it's hard to create these. These tanks don't use to have high defence because their accuracy isn't really high (50 att) that makes them not as good in high lvls as they are in low lvls.
    There are many variants of this tank the best choice would be the 40 or 75 defence variant with 70 pray (95 pray is good too but the combat is way higher)

50 99 75 99 99 99 70
    Pros:
    • Can trybrid
    • Can use g maul special to KO
    • Low combat level
    Cons:
    • Difficult to create
    Last edited by alexes; 03-26-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Summoning Tank: These kind of tanks are not really common because like the previous types are hard to create. This account is based on having the lowest combat possible with high summ and good def to tank. These accounts are basically for multi and are really fun.
    There are many variants of this tank the best choice would be the 40 or 75 defence variant with 99 summ for titan.

75 80 80 85 199
    Pros:
    • Hability to summon steel titan and pk with it
    • Really low lvl
    • Kills others really quickly
    Cons:
    • Not good for boss killing
    • Not good for questing
    • Expensive to create
    • It is mainly for multi purposes

Like I have said there are many other kinds of Tanks, but the ones I've explained are the most common.
    How to choose the best tank for you?
    To choose the best Tank for you. You have to ask yourself what you want, an account to bassiccally pvp? An account for pvm? An account for pvp and pvm?

If you want an account for pvp you have to choose what you prefer: solo pk, multi, or both.
    For solo the best options are summ tank, 75 def tank and maul & drag tanks.
    For multi any tank with high def and pray.
    And for both I would choose augury/rigour tanks.

If you want to pvm go for a maxed out tank it's definitely the best choice

Then for pvm and pvp the best choice would be rigour/augury tanks, maxed out tank or maxed drag claws tank.

How ever it's your choice, you have to choose what you think that will be better for you or you will enjoy more

Low levels
    Trainning
    Well the first steps after completing the tutorial are completing the blood pact quest ,Stronghold of Player Safety and stronghold of Security. Now your bank should be of 25-40k. Now it's time to get the requirements to complete de Dragon Slayer quest. To get the lvls for this I would recommend using Narcle's Fast Fighter script on goblins and minotaurs which are on Security Stronghold first floor
    After completing it you are able to wear rune platebody and green d'hide body, Now your levels should be something like this:
    40 40 45+ 50+ 45+ 25+ 20+

Now your outfit should be something like this:
    Note:Kayle's Sling is recommended as it's good for xp and it doesn't need to spend money.
    Now it's time to get 70 ranged it would take 1 week, I reccomend you getting this on Dragith nurns (these are in the Blood pact dungeon). It's also reccommended to use Harry's Catacomb Grabber. After 70 ranged you should get 70 cooking (it's easy to do just cook trouts and salmons in Al kharid), 60 fishing (its reccommended to fly powerfish in barbarian village, 60 woodcutting (cut willows in Draynor), 60 firemaking. For these stats you can use the cript you like there are many of these and many good. After this, you should get membership and the real way to maxed tank starts here.

Money Making
    Money making in low levels is a bit hard, but there are some ways to get it. The best are mining iron and depositing it, killing hill giants and selling the big bones,... But if you're going to use sling to train ranged you won't need much money just 300-600k for the equipment and food.

Med levels
    Trainning
    Firs of all it's time to do quests and levels to do desert treasure, lunar diplomacy , animal magnetism, recipe for disaster (this is one of the most important quests for a tank).

After this you will be able to wear barrows gloves which are really useful for trainning and pvp.
    To get enough ranged and def to do these quests I would recommend killing yaks with Narcle's Fast Fighter (you should get 80+ ranged and 70+ def).
    Note: To kill yaks you must have completed The Fremmennik Isles.

To train mage you should cast wind rush on any monster until lvl 45, then superheat until lvl 55 and the high alchemy with any script from here, MSI for example is pretty stable but a bit slow. To Know which item alch I recommend you this website: http://alching.highalchcalc.com/rune...fit-calculator

Here your lvls should look like this:

50+ 50+ 70+ 80+ 80+ 80+ 50+

And your equipment should look like this:
    Broad-tipped bolts are recommended which need 55 slayer, if you haven't enough money for dragonfire shield get an obby shield.

Money Making
    Well to make money for med levels the best options are drags like greens, blue, frosts (you need 85 dungeon). You can also kill aviansies which are in god wars dungeons for ranged xp and money.
    Also you can collect mort myre funguis for money which is about 800-1m/h you can use S1N funguis
    Here you should make about 25-35m to get dragonfire shield, quests, food,...

High levels
    Trainning
    Well here starts the hardest part and also the funnier, here you have to go for lvls such as 99 ranged, 99 mage, 77+ pray, 99 hp and 99 def.

Note:The levels may be different depending on the type of tank you want, but the trianning mehtods are the same.
    Here to train ranged you can still kill yaks until lvl 99 or you can go for the quickest way which is red chinchompas it's an average of 200k ranged xp per hour. And it costs 30-50m, for these who doesn't know how it works, here is a quick good guide:

For prayer you will need around 150m, the best way to train is with drag bones on a gilded altar you can use S1NAltar script. I would reccommend you getting high summoning level because it will help you in many activites as money making and trainning, 67+ would be reccommended.

Now it's time to prepare for questing, you should do The Temple at Senntisten and While Guthix Sleeps with all the required quests. Ritual of the Mahjarrat is also recommended.

Now your levels should look like:
    70 70 95+ 95+ 99 96+ 74+

Note:I haven't mentioned some quests that are really needed like Dream mentor,... because to complete the quests I named you need these.
    Here your equipment should be something like this:

If you haven't enough dungeoneering points for chaotic crossbow you can get rune c'bow, and if you want something better than dfs look for a divine/elysian. Ranger boots can be replaced by snakeskin/infinity.

Money Making
    Now is when you need and you will get more money. Here you can do boss killing which is a really good way to earn money, some bosses you should duo/solo are:

Another good way for money making is Dagannoths killing.

There are many other ways formoney making such as the ones I said previously and others like merching, corp beast, pk... but these are the most common.

PVP
    Well tanks for pvp must have some items/spells like:

Barrows gloves, you get those from completing recipe for disaster as I said previously.

Vengeance Spell which needs 94 magic and Lunar diplomacy completed

Ancient magicks which you get after completing desert treasure

If you have these you are in the good way to start pking. Well tanks usually use ranged attack in edge pk. They can hybrid too, but for solo pk the best is ranged + vengeance.

I would reccommend you an outfit like this for pking:
    You can change the granite shield for a dragonfire shield, and the drag bolts for diamond or bakriminel

Note:This is for people who doesn't want to spend or haven't much money.

For people who has more money the equipment should be:
    You can change the the drag bolts for diamond or bakriminel

The most common combos of rangers are using diamond bolts and switching to d bolts to ko. Against magers it's highly recommended use bakriminel bolts cause of it's special. Try to use as mage vengeance as you can and ever use prayers. Bring ever ranging pots, antifire pots if you havent dfs or antidragon equipped.

A d bow is ever useful for its special to KO. Morrigan's javs and throwing axes

For multi I would recommend you hybriding mage/ranged somethinglike attacking with brakiminel bolts and casting ice barrage.

For mage staking use blood and smoke barrages.

Note: It's not an in depth guide to tank pk, it's just an introduction with some tips. More information will be added.

Here you have some good tanks pk vids:

Pictures from runescape wiki

FAQ
    Are Tank goods in PVP? Tanks in low levels are really good and in higher levels with the improved bows they're are very good too now

What att & str levels should I get? It deppends on your style if you want to pk with melee 60 att and 88 str are a good choice, but my favourite is 75 attack and 70 str which is good for questing and task making...

Should I be tank?Well if you love melee pking not, if you want a kind of account that can kill mains and go to mb without worries definetly yes!

Is void knight outfit worth? Yes it's really useful for trianning and for pk.

Will more things be added on the guide? Yes, I've just added this guide. I will be adding more things in a near future
    Last edited by alexes; 03-31-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice guide, has all the basics and such.

But I'm more concerned about what skill requirements I need for quests. What quests I need, what order should I complete them in, other useful quest rewards, etc. Knowing that I need to complete RFD is nice, but what do I need to complete it? (also hand cannon, maybe even swift gloves)

Need to touch more on hybridding as well, not everyone edge pks.

Also your video choices somewhat disappointed me, needs more Yoda FTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by josh81193 View Post
    Nice guide, has all the basics and such.

But I'm more concerned about what skill requirements I need for quests. What quests I need, what order should I complete them in, other useful quest rewards, etc. Knowing that I need to complete RFD is nice, but what do I need to complete it? (also hand cannon, maybe even swift gloves)

Need to touch more on hybridding as well, not everyone edge pks.

Also your video choices somewhat disappointed me, needs more Yoda FTW.
    1st--- do all f2p quests
    2nd--- Animal Magnetism, Heroe's Quest, Fairy Tale part 1 and start part 2 , Smoking Kills, Grand Tree, Cold War, Hunt For Red Raktuber, and Tears of Guthix, sheep sheared, The digsite...
    3rd--- Waterfall quest, Priest in peril, Fremmenik trials, Desert Treasure, merlin's crystal, Fremmennik Isles, Lunar Diplomacy.
    4rt--- Dream mentor, king's ransom, legend's quest...
    5th--- Recipe for disaster, Morning's ends, The temple at Sennisten

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Really nice guide pity that I'm already done training on my Range Tank. I realize you don't really have your own personal opinion in some of these things, but which do you prefer more, an Augury Tank or a Completely Maxed Tank? Basically, 77 prayer against 99 prayer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexes View Post
    1st--- do all f2p quests
    2nd--- Animal Magnetism, Heroe's Quest, Fairy Tale part 1 and start part 2 , Smoking Kills, Grand Tree, Cold War, Hunt For Red Raktuber, and Tears of Guthix, sheep sheared, The digsite...
    3rd--- Waterfall quest, Priest in peril, Fremmenik trials, Desert Treasure, merlin's crystal, Fremmennik Isles, Lunar Diplomacy.
    4rt--- Dream mentor, king's ransom, legend's quest...
    5th--- Recipe for disaster, Morning's ends, The temple at Sennisten
    What stat requirements are there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Texy View Post
    Really nice guide pity that I'm already done training on my Range Tank. I realize you don't really have your own personal opinion in some of these things, but which do you prefer more, an Augury Tank or a Completely Maxed Tank? Basically, 77 prayer against 99 prayer.
    Well I had a maxed old school tank a maxed out tank and now a maxed augury tank.

For edge pk my favourite is 85 def rigour tank. An augury tank is really good for solo/multi. An a maxed tank is the best for pvm and multi.

If you like edge pk go for 85 def rigour.

If you like PVP and pvm go for maxed

If you like Multi and solo go for augury maxed.

Quote Originally Posted by josh81193 View Post
    What stat requirements are there?
    76 Crafting
    77 Agility
    76 Mining
    23 Summoning
    55 Hunter
    60 Thieving
    65 Defence
    65 Farming
    65 Herblore
    75 Magic
    90 cb
    70 wc
    70 fm
    60 fish
    70 cook
    and 70 to the rest of skills (excluding att & str)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You forgot the soulsplit tank and the 99 atk tank.

Look up 'Avril X' if you wanna see a maxed 99 atk tank.
    -Removed-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

didnt i tank blood like get hacked or quit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SXxR View Post
    You forgot the soulsplit tank and the 99 atk tank.

Look up 'Avril X' if you wanna see a maxed 99 atk tank.
    Please read before posting:
    There are many kinds of mage range tanks, I will do a briefly explanation of the most commons types
    soulsplit tank is the same as turmoil or 99 pray cause it has the same combat level it's just less expensive.

And 99 att tanks aren't common, and most o people doesn't like this kind. But probs in the future I'lll add more tanks including these kind to the guide

PS: It's ironic. I've made this guide with aim to help trying to write it as well as I could and I've just got negative reputation for this
    Last edited by alexes; 03-31-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

very nice guide mate!

Made by P1ng

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)

Great job on the tut very detailed I plan on using this on one of my old goldfarming accounts who happened to have pretty low stats, but anyways great job + rep
    Current Project: Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What is the point of 80 ranged and 85 mage on a summoning tank? I do not understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gucci View Post
    Great job on the tut very detailed I plan on using this on one of my old goldfarming accounts who happened to have pretty low stats, but anyways great job + rep
    Thanks ^^

Quote Originally Posted by b_lone View Post
    What is the point of 80 ranged and 85 mage on a summoning tank? I do not understand.
    Well it's obviously not 100% needed. But it helps a lot. I've had a summ tank people used to put summ pray and ranged was really helpful for ko, mage was awesome for blits and paralyze others.

Remember that summ tanks use to go to multi where they can get attacked by more than 1 so the summ titan can only fight 1. If you have enough high ranged you can attack the other.

And whith these stats you can go to solo pking, but well if you don't want you dont need them. But it's also kinda boring whithout being able to attack others without summ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WOW! Awesome guide m8

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Read literally half of it... Too sleepy now (4 am). Love how you put time in it and it's interesting (also liked the video, had totally forgot about PVP/BH).

Rep+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P1nky View Post
    Read literally half of it... Too sleepy now (4 am). Love how you put time in it and it's interesting (also liked the video, had totally forgot about PVP/BH).

Rep+.
    Thanks, P1nky ^^ Hope that my guide will be useful for you. If you need anything or you have any doubt feel free to ask me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I read the guide from start till end and I've watched all the vids...I must say it's very detailed and I'm loving it. As I haven't got much money and can't afford the best armour,is it possible to get any good kills with the "cheap armour picture" you have shown...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clairvoyance View Post
    I read the guide from start till end and I've watched all the vids...I must say it's very detailed and I'm loving it. As I haven't got much money and can't afford the best armour,is it possible to get any good kills with the "cheap armour picture" you have shown...
    yes, I got 99 ranged with the green dhide and kayle's sling using catacomb grabber of Harry. So definetly you can!
    You just need patience, with 4-5 months u can have 99 ranged, 85+ hp and like 75+ def.

You will just need 400-600k for food and equipment

Gl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Going to be using this guide for my new account . Tanks are something I've always hated pking against but never actually tried to have.

Thread Information