Thread: jaunty/9.04 ubuntu software sources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Exclamation jaunty/9.04 ubuntu software sources

helo ubuntu 9.04 is not being updated any more and stuff, also some things are changed with more recent versions...

all im asking is that if its possible to change the software sources so that i can get them to update... right now it isn't working with my current version...

i think the software sources are outdated can someone help me set it up so that it can work...?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Ubuntu 9.04 is EOL. They don't support it anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

i love that version super compatable with my devices... hmm you know of a way that i can add some lines of code to at least get it to connect with one of there servers for software or should i just use a different linux? debian is cool...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

You need to change your sources.list, it should be located in "/etc/apt/".

You may be able to change it to a newer Ubuntu's repositories, your best bet would be to try Ubuntu 10.04's repositories, since its not too far off from 9.04, however you're probably better off downloading 10.04 from scratch.

Some programs might have some problems with it since they are meant for a newer kernel/ubuntu version. Pretty much open sources.list and replace every instance of "jaunty" with "lucid" and type "sudo apt-get update" into your terminal. Ubuntu 10.04 is a LTS released, but I believe its going EOL sometime this year or next year.
    Last edited by ShawnjohnSJ; 04-06-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

yeah most forums say its dead and so and such but imean cmon... its linux! there should be a programmable fix to all of this .. its just that 9.04 is special to me sine it is the first linux system ive ever installed...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Yeah you can do as I suggested, but no guarantees that it will work with all programs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

was wondering if i can just replace the apt folder with a folder from 10.04?
    it seems to be updating..im glad it works but hopefully that works with others besides lucid... i used

sudo gedit /etc/sources.list
    sudo apt-get update
    Last edited by wantonman; 04-26-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wantonman View Post
    was wondering if i can just replace the apt folder with a folder from 10.04?
    it seems to be updating..im glad it works but hopefully that works with others besides lucid... i used

sudo gedit /etc/sources.list
    sudo apt-get update
    It might work with some newer than Lucid but the newer the software gets, the higher chances are that there will be compatability issues.

I wouldn't suggest replacing the whole apt folder, as there might be values in the apt config or other files not present in 9.04 and could probably cause errors. You're better off just editing sources.list
    Last edited by ShawnjohnSJ; 04-26-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Thread Information