Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can't move faster then the speed of light. Only theoretical particles have the mathematics will allow it (tachyons).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

You can deform space faster than the speed of light though(warp) or at least there's a model for doing so
    Infractions, reputation, reflection, the dark side of scripting, they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Source?

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xXTrollXx View Post
    Flight, That link is interesting. Thanks. /Offtopic

If you're moving faster then light, you will become light itself. You will lose what you are, and become light, from what my friend said. I thought it made sense, so I thought I'd tell you guys about it.

Not quite.. Look up quantum entanglement. The pair of particles separated kilometers away can travel faster than light when launched.. Particles can actually travel faster than light if the mass is just right and the state will remain the same! That's why you'd get a noble prize if you can figure out why.. So time travel is possible only in particles.

Actually had a University physics teacher tell us that if we can break down ourselves into extremely small particles, launch them and re-assemble, well we'd have time traveled.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ggzz View Post
    Not quite.. Look up quantum entanglement. The pair of particles separated kilometers away can travel faster than light when launched.. Particles can actually travel faster than light if the mass is just right and the state will remain the same! That's why you'd get a noble prize if you can figure out why.. So time travel is possible only in particles.

Actually had a University physics teacher tell us that if we can break down ourselves into extremely small particles, launch them and re-assemble, well we'd have time traveled.
    entanglement is simply a theory...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footballjds View Post
    entanglement is simply a theory...
    So is everything else in science...

Quote Originally Posted by ggzz View Post

What are you talking about???

Particles whatever their mass can not travel faster then the speed of light, it works like this:

Particles with rest mass can only travel at velocities less then the speed of light
    Particles with no rest mass travel at the speed of light
    Particles with imaginary mass travel faster then the speed of light

Also a note on entanglement: you can not transmit information faster then the speed of light, quantum entanglement does not break causality simply because you act on a entangled pair of particles as in when you observe it and collapse the system, the quantum state you measure the particle in has an equal chance to be either quantum state from both particles.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P1nky View Post
    Daniel, I'd like to know the theory behind this, how would it be possible? It's just mind-blowing thinking about it.
    Look up "time dilation"

Note, I never said going back in time was "impossible" Just difficult, in the regard that we have no idea how to yet (i.e. impossible at this stage)

@Rct33:

Vibrating each and every single atom in the human body in unison, with the exact same vibrations happening thousands of light years away in the galaxy, would be quite annoying

EDIT: Also, I don't see how that is time travel? :S
    Last edited by Daniel; 04-14-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    You may contact me with any concerns you have.
    Are you a victim of harassment? Please notify me or any other staff member.

| SRL Community Rules | SRL Live Help & Chat | Setting up Simba | F.A.Q's |

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Ok, too much complicated science here

My Conclusion: Humans currently cannot nor will they ever be able to travel faster than the speed of light -> time travel will never be possible

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abu_jwka View Post
    My Conclusion: Humans currently cannot nor will they ever be able to travel faster than the speed of light -> time travel will never be possible
    How can you make such a statement? Never say never
    You may contact me with any concerns you have.
    Are you a victim of harassment? Please notify me or any other staff member.

| SRL Community Rules | SRL Live Help & Chat | Setting up Simba | F.A.Q's |

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    How can you make such a statement? Never say never
    Agreed. It would simply be ignorant to claim anything to be impossible just because we cant do it at this moment. Human knowledge, at present, is so insignificant compared to the vast mysteries of the universe. Never proclaim anything to be definitely right or impossible; even Newton's laws of motion may be proven to be incorrect in the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Look up "time dilation"
    @Rct33:

Vibrating each and every single atom in the human body in unison, with the exact same vibrations happening thousands of light years away in the galaxy, would be quite annoying

EDIT: Also, I don't see how that is time travel? :S
    I am not quite seeing what you are saying about quantum entanglement, I was just saying we can do anything useful for it and it doesn't transmit information faster then the speed of light therefore it can't be used for time travel.

Entanglement does not allow real-time communication since it is random. Without checking both measurements against each other with a data link equal or less to the speed of light, you don't gain any useful information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
    If you left the earth in a ship traveling at 50% of the speed of light for 5 years and came back, the earth will have aged 60 years (I think that's the right number :S) and you will have only aged 5 years.

Conclusion: time travel into the future.
    Think of it this way:
    I have 2 computers, 1 fast 1 slow
    they both download a 10 megabyte file. The faster one obviously downloads quickest. The slow one lags behind. In the end they get to the same destination, just at different speeds.

My thoughts on time travel:
    It will most likely one day be possible, with the exception of absolutely freezing time.. people think that would be awesome- but who switches time back on
    Also, thinking about it, if you drive in your car (or even safer, in the passenger seat) close your eyes for a split second and what seems like nothing- you have moved a fair distance without visual knowledge. One day the manipulation of this kind of technique could be used to force time ahead. Not sure about backwards... hmm ill think about that one

Like frement, I came up with this on the fly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think everything already exists, we just have to find it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Screw time travel, I want to be able to teleport from my room to class so I can sleep like 30 minutes longer lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mjordan View Post
    Screw time travel, I want to be able to teleport from my room to class so I can sleep like 30 minutes longer lol.
    Screw your 30 minute sleeping... I have a 2 hour busride.
    On topic: Time travel will not ever be possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On topic: Time travel will not ever be possible[/QUOTE]

Michio Kaku has come pretty close to a theory that could make time travel possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What about einsteins theory... he has one about time that any number cannot make the equation positive.. meaning it is impossible to exceed the speed of light, thus making time travel impossible.
    (To time travel you have to be going faster than anything around you, so if a black hole- which is only a theory never proven, were to exist and suck in light, you would be able to time travel assuming you are the fastest thing around the black hole.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X02WMNoHSm8

According to Michio Kaku, there is no law of physics that prevents time traveling from happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X02WMNoHSm8

According to Michio Kaku, there is no law of physics that prevents time traveling from happening.
    OOOO look at me I'm time treveling right now because theres no law to prove me wrong! Seems legit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JOEbot View Post
    OOOO look at me I'm time treveling right now because theres no law to prove me wrong! Seems legit?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMVOeauQIWI

If you want more, he has an episode of how to time travel, its probably closer than anyone has gotten to a theory of time traveling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JOEbot View Post
    What about einsteins theory... he has one about time that any number cannot make the equation positive.. meaning it is impossible to exceed the speed of light, thus making time travel impossible.
    (To time travel you have to be going faster than anything around you, so if a black hole- which is only a theory never proven, were to exist and suck in light, you would be able to time travel assuming you are the fastest thing around the black hole.)
    Einsteins theory of special relativity? One consequence of it is nothing can go faster then the speed of light. This is actually because taking the proper form of the energy of a moving object:

when V > C the energy becomes imaginary which is why we can't FTL travel.

I suggest you just stop, you are sorry to say pretty clueless about this subject. Block holes have a burden of proof for their existence. We basically can prove there is a super massive black hole in the centre of out galaxy.
    Last edited by Rct33; 04-15-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You are travelling through time, right now, watch that clock go, second by second...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

C0de, you made me laugh. That's funnily true. [/Offtopic]

What if we become Light itself, then find a way to return? I mean, if you go as fast as light, you become light. Einstein's theory, I believe. I may be wrong, with that being Einstein's theorem.
    Last edited by Vinyl Scratch; 04-16-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xXTrollXx View Post
    C0de, you made me laugh. That's funnily true. [/Offtopic]

What if we become Light itself, then find a way to return? I mean, if you go as fast as light, you become light. Einstein's theory, I believe. I may be wrong, with that being Einstein's theorem.
    1. You can't go as fast as the speed of light
    2. You wouldn't become light, not that it matters due to point 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Speed of thought is faster than the speed of light.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information