Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Travel.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Default Time Travel.

I've got a doctors appointment, I'll post my ideas on it later, you guys tell me some of yours for now! Bye!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it is impossible to travel in time in relation to others, everything in the past has happened meaning it is over therefore it is finished and the future has no happened yet so there is nothing to go to. Maybe in relation to time you could jump a couple of milliseconds but the only thing that exists in reality is the present.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)

Everything that has happened, is known, lets say we can observe the ripples of events that have happened, and we could visualize it, then sure, we could go back in time, of course there must be some limits to the equipment used to observe past events. I think that is the only thing we can do to fiddle with time. Actually traveling through past events to change course of history would be impossible, but if we take into consideration the multiverse theory, we could, lets say, travel to a parallel universe which happens to include us as "time travellers", then yeah. But that wouldn't change the course of history in the original universe, rather you could live in the parallel universe and see how things change.

Wrote it on the fly, never really gave it much thought before this.
    There used to be something meaningful here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

The future is simulated then written in accordance to what is written. Due to the destabilization of where it should be is not, by actions not going as planned, the future is no longer the same; therefore time traveling into an already made future is not possible

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Time travel to the future is a 100% no no, impossible to go to a time which has not yet existed.

As for time travelling the past - also impossible.

Conclusion - Time Travel will never happen no matter how advanced technology will ever become.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
    Only forward, not backward.
    Well said.
    Goals:
    Understanding TPAs
    Making Proggy for fighting
    Getting on SRL members
    Get 500 posts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well... How about travelling in space.....to essentially fold space to travel from point A to point B. God damnit whats that movie called! AH event horizon.!! You guys should seeriously watch it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. "
    Infractions, reputation, reflection, the dark side of scripting, they are.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abu_jwka View Post
    Time travel to the future is a 100% no no, impossible to go to a time which has not yet existed.

As for time travelling the past - also impossible.

Conclusion - Time Travel will never happen no matter how advanced technology will ever become.
    If you left the earth in a ship traveling at 50% of the speed of light for 5 years and came back, the earth will have aged 60 years (I think that's the right number :S) and you will have only aged 5 years.

Conclusion: time travel into the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you left the earth in a ship traveling at 50% of the speed of light for 5 years and came back, the earth will have aged 60 years (I think that's the right number :S) and you will have only aged 5 years.

But you won't be able to go back therefore you are still in the present in relation to everybody else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

you can relatively time travel if you could fold space and get from one point to another (wormholes if they even exist) Then travel back towards where you left and there it would be more years that what you aged. so relative to say earth you could travel faster, but you wouldnt actually be changing time.

you can also look into the past by looking out into space. everything we see that is lets say 16 light years away, we are seeing what it looked like 16 years ago so right now it might have gone supernova, but we dont know because it takes 16 years till we see it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Bolshak, You don't necessarily have to "fold" time, just go faster then time itself. Time is measured by light, light is how we age. If we go faster then light, then you will not age, and go forward/backward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

well youd have to be able to teleport to go faster than light which they only theorize about it with wormholes connecting two points in space which is similar to folding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Time travel is only possible if you are able to move an object at the speed of light in which you experience time dilation, but since it is IMPOSSIBLE for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light, time travel is not yet achievable. As an object gets close to speed of light, it gains mass proportional to it's speed as it gets close to speed of light. That is why only photons can with no mass can ever attain the speed of light.

Truly speaking, I don't think it will ever be possible to achieve time travel, I know we will have 'new technology' in the future, but I don't think time travel is one of those things we humans will achieve in time. I say we have a limit and that limit is in the form of time travel; sorry you had to hear that, but it just won't be possible. The most we will ever get close to time travel is that we are able to shoot photons of light back in time, but even then, how do we control that and what would be the point of that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Won't work. Time dilatation works only linear and without forces.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

If there were ever to be such thing as time travel in the future we would already know about it because they would have travelled back to a time before this current time making us know about it.

There will never be time travel.
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Why would you go back in time and tell people your from the future ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

What I am trying to say is that if time travel were real we would know about it already.

Time travel will never happen.
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

But its not possible for humans to travel at half the speed light let alone survive five whole years in outer space.

Conclusion: If the above isn't possible, then time travel into the future isn't possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cycrosism View Post
    What I am trying to say is that if time travel were real we would know about it already.

Time travel will never happen.
    General relativity actually allows many ways in which we can time travel to the past and we wouldn't necessarily know about it already.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

But its not possible for humans to travel at half the speed light let alone survive five whole years in outer space.

Conclusion: If the above isn't possible, then time travel into the future isn't possible
    It is possible to reach half light speed if you have a constant force for a long time.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cycrosism View Post
    If there were ever to be such thing as time travel in the future we would already know about it because they would have travelled back to a time before this current time making us know about it.

There will never be time travel.
    There can be several reasons to explain why we dont see time travellers from future:
    1. They do actually visit us, but cannot/do not want to tell/appear to us since there may be consequences in changing history.

2. A wormhole have to be created first, and thereafter we can freely travel between the wormholes.

Einstein conclude that light is the " transmission medium" of universe and therefore its impossible to travel faster than light--which is essential for time travelling, but he could well be wrong (like how he did not believe in quantum theory).

Modern physics, at this point, is unable to give a firm answer on whether time travel is possible, but investigation into what time really is (it is in fact, non-linear, in relation to space--space time, and commonly known as the 4th dimension of universe) seems to suggest that time travelling could indeed be
    possible in the distant future (we probably wont live to see it).

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

If anyone is interested here is a similar article regarding measuring particles moving at light speed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ival-team.html

Well... that one's more about doubts with the experiment and possible flawed measurements, but it is interesting to read.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information