Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by riwu View Post
    A wormhole have to be created first, and thereafter we can freely travel between the wormholes.
    Wormholes are fiction.
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cycrosism View Post
    Wormholes are fiction.
    You just say things such as time travel is impossible and wormholes are fiction like they are facts which out any proof of these statements.

General relativity, along with quantum mechanics are the best theories we have for describing the universe. General relativity does contain solutions which can give rise to wormholes. Currently there is nothing that exists as proof for which time travel into the past is impossible.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

If wormholes are real where are they?
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Worm holes, I believe are real, They are in different parts of the universe. We can reach them, on concept of one of Newton's laws, (I can't remember which one.) but it states that an object will not stop moving until it hits an equal or greater force, and the only equal or greater force in the Universe is Gravity. We could get pulled towards some planets, but we could "Boost" out way out of its gravitational pull. Yes, we would eventually run out of fuel, but you get my meaning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cycrosism View Post
    If wormholes are real where are they?
    They would not occur naturally due to the extreme conditions for which they could be theoretically stable.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

I'm traveling through time at this moment, and I'm quite sure I'm traveling faster then when I was younger.
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masterBB View Post
    I'm traveling through time at this moment, and I'm quite sure I'm traveling faster then when I was younger.
    Very true

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

MasterBB, That made no sense, and made complete sense, at the same time.. Don't ask, I don't know..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Okay I just got a mind bomb here! Hear me out guys. Let us imagine time as an infinite piece of string that is ever extending.

Speed of light is also another piece of string that is not the same length as the time string but also increasing at the same pace. Now time has already began somewhere down the road and suddenly, light comes along to join it. This means that time is traveling at the speed of light (this is just my theory).

As an object gets close to the speed of light, it will experience time slowing down because time is traveling at the speed of light as stated. Now if (theoretically), the object somehow manages to travel at the speed of light, this means that that object will now be traveling at the speed of time. Therefore in that object's frame of reference, there will be no passage of time because time is not ahead of it anymore.

Before I go on, imagine these 2 strings as if they were race tracks and they are each forming a closed loop. Okay got it? Good!

Now back to the issue of time travel, if said object were to travel faster than the speed of light (which is currently the only way to time travel), it will go back to the beginning of time...! And I don't just mean creation or the big bang, I mean the beginning as in way before anything and basically at the moment time began. Remember what I said before about time already started on this journey before light came?

Hence, if we ever go faster than the speed of light, we will quite possibly go back to the beginning of time; and whether you believe time started with the creation or with a big bang, you are in for a big surprise. Because in my theory, time began a long long time before light came into the picture. If you read the bible, you'll know what I mean.

Phew! Got that off my chest! Flamers may feel free to flame now
    Last edited by Recursive; 04-10-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    If anyone is interested here is a similar article regarding measuring particles moving at light speed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ival-team.html

Well... that one's more about doubts with the experiment and possible flawed measurements, but it is interesting to read.
    Thanks for the link, it's really interesting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

We can't even travel light years yet, time travel oh no no no just bogus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chig View Post
    Okay I just got a mind bomb here! Hear me out guys. Let us imagine time as an infinite piece of string that is ever extending.

Speed of light is also another piece of string that is not the same length as the time string but also increasing at the same pace. Now time has already began somewhere down the road and suddenly, light comes along to join it. This means that time is traveling at the speed of light (this is just my theory).

As an object gets close to the speed of light, it will experience time slowing down because time is traveling at the speed of light as stated. Now if (theoretically), the object somehow manages to travel at the speed of light, this means that that object will now be traveling at the speed of time. Therefore in that object's frame of reference, there will be no passage of time because time is not ahead of it anymore.

Before I go on, imagine these 2 strings as if they were race tracks and they are each forming a closed loop. Okay got it? Good!

Now back to the issue of time travel, if said object were to travel faster than the speed of light (which is currently the only way to time travel), it will go back to the beginning of time...! And I don't just mean creation or the big bang, I mean the beginning as in way before anything and basically at the moment time began. Remember what I said before about time already started on this journey before light came?

Hence, if we ever go faster than the speed of light, we will quite possibly go back to the beginning of time; and whether you believe time started with the creation or with a big bang, you are in for a big surprise. Because in my theory, time began a long long time before light came into the picture. If you read the bible, you'll know what I mean.

Phew! Got that off my chest! Flamers may feel free to flame now
    If we were to somehow accelerate something to a velocity greater then c by some means of accelerating it but skipping the speed of light (like going from 0 to 20mph without going to 10mph). Then we would simply go back in time. However, making something going faster then c would violate causality and is most likely impossible.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

Time travel is impossible the way it's defined. Simply put.

Now that being said, if it were possible to travel faster then light and create a telescope that could clearly see googleplex miles then theoretically one could travel faster then the speed of light super far away and watch everything that happened thousands of years ago. However, this is impossible as objects in space would obstruct the view and no matter can travel at the speed of light(unless it's a neutrino or something...)

Conclusion? TIME TRAVEL IS NOT POSSIBLE AND NEVER WILL BE.
    Last edited by footballjds; 04-10-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footballjds View Post
    Time travel is impossible the way it's defined. Simply put.

Now that being said, if it were possible to travel faster then light and create a telescope that could clearly see googleplex miles then theoretically one could travel faster then the speed of light super far away and watch everything that happened thousands of years ago. However, this is impossible as objects in space would obstruct the view and no matter can travel at the speed of light(unless it's a neutrino or something...)

Conclusion? TIME TRAVEL IS NOT POSSIBLE AND NEVER WILL BE.
    Time travel is 'impossible' because of the way you just have defined it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

I wouldn't say it's impossible.. Just out of our reach.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Time travel to the future is very possible. It is coming back that is the difficulty.
    You may contact me with any concerns you have.
    Are you a victim of harassment? Please notify me or any other staff member.

| SRL Community Rules | SRL Live Help & Chat | Setting up Simba | F.A.Q's |

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xXTrollXx View Post
    I wouldn't say it's impossible.. Just out of our reach.
    THIS^^^^. That's probably the best way to put it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Well, I mean, Daniel said it himself, also.. It's possible, just difficult.. Like God obbied the physics.. Thanks, though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xXTrollXx View Post
    Like God obbied the physics..
    Don't

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Heh. Don't what? It was meant as a joke, I'm not making fun of God or anything, just a little God and Jagex joke.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Time travel to the future is very possible. It is coming back that is the difficulty.
    Daniel, I'd like to know the theory behind this, how would it be possible? It's just mind-blowing thinking about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

In my honest opinion I don't believe that "Time Travel" (ie. the ability to move faster or slower than the rest of the universe and see events that we would not normally be able to see yet or events that have already occurred) is possible.

The closest I believe that something could come to that would be travelling at the speed of light, where anything that they are moving away from would appear to be completely still and the things that they are moving towards would appear to be in fast forward (until you reach that object and passed it, at which point it would appear to be still).

~Caotom

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

I found out something else pretty neat of research on what's called "Casimir energy" which has an anti-gravitational effect. It was proven in 1988 by Kip Thorne, stating that Casimir energy could hold open the walls of a worm hole (Einstein-Rosen bridges).

You can read about it here: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...imetravel.html

It's hard to grasp the concept and yes it's pretty mind-blowing, like P1nky said, but with the theories I've been reading lately on the subject, it looks no where near what I would consider "impossible". While saying something is impossible and sealing the lid is the easy explanation, it doesn't make it correct, in any sense. Subjects like these have gotten a lot of attention and research is being dumped into them.

I would image back in the 60's or 70's maybe, everyone really would consider it impossible, but people are working together now and coming up with very supportive theories that ultimately lead to "Well... maybe it is possible after all...".

Edit:
    I gotta say, I'm glad to see the amount of people really interested in something like this. It's nice to see we have a good handful of real thinkers here in the community. I imagine a post like this being made on Sythe or PB (/closed).
    Last edited by Flight; 04-13-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Flight, That link is interesting. Thanks. /Offtopic

If you're moving faster then light, you will become light itself. You will lose what you are, and become light, from what my friend said. I thought it made sense, so I thought I'd tell you guys about it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information