Thread: Different hashes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Default Different hashes?

I've been working on a group project for about 8 months now developing web software (cant state specifics since its one of a kind) and I'm having problems with MD5 hashes. They seem to generate different for the same string and obviously that's not going to work. Here is the reason: The client is going to register an account and obviously the account is going to be in a database. The password is going to be converted to MD5 and when the user tries to log in, the script converts their attempted password to MD5, compare and grant access/deny. But if the hash generates different every time for the same string then its useless.

I'm stuck. Any ideas??

Edit: Well, turns out symbols confuse the hell out of MD5. So I guess I'll edit the Registration page to not accept symbols.
    Last edited by punkd; 05-20-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

What language are you using? I've never heard of that before, seems very odd.
    Away for awhile, life is keeping me busy. | Want to get my attention in a thread? @Kyle Undefined; me.
    { MSI Phoenix || SRL Stats Sigs || Paste || Scripts || Quotes || Graphics }

When posting a bug, please post debug! Help us, help you!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. || To be the best, you've got to beat the rest. || Logic never changes, just the syntax.
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ, or about a script that is not mine, I will NOT respond.

SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba. We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)

It's impossible.

MD5 is MD5 is MD5...

It's a specific function, unless the developer wrote the function wrong, they should output the same thing.

They may have different cases tho, so try lower-casing or upper-casing the string?

Dg's Small Procedures | IRC Quotes
    Thank Wishlah for my nice new avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by IRC
    [22:12:05] <Dgby714> Im agnostic
    [22:12:36] <Blumblebee> :O ...you can read minds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Honestly I'm stuck, I can't answer any questions because everything I know is in my post -.- Its 2 am so idk if my brains not functioning as it should or It really doesn't work, kind of considering using a different method now. Ill find out in the morning if its me or the function.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Are you using non-ascii characters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You might want to use a more secure encryption method, md5 is pretty weak in terms of security. http://www.kellermansoftware.com/t-A...ngestAlgo.aspx

Thread Information