Thread: Quantum Physics

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Default Quantum Physics

Anything and everything about Quantum Physics. Shoot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)

I like selectrons.
    Miner & Urn Crafter & 07 Chicken Killer
    SPS BlindWalk Tutorial

Working on: Nothing

teacher in every art, brought the fire that hath proved to mortals a means to mighty ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I honestly have no idea what quantum physics is (sciencewise). I love all these discussions, but I'll have to sit this one out
    Pretty sure it has to do with time and movement though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

This doesn't have muuuch to do with quantum physics, but it's got some principals that are undeniably intertwined.

Recently, I learned of a theory called the "Transcendence hypothesis". It's an answer to Ferme's paradox, which states that if there is so much in the universe and so much potential for intelligent life, why don't we see signs of it everywhere?

The hypothesis states that instead of expanding and venturing out into the universe, technology is going to enable the ability to travel inward. The goal of technology is the make it smaller and more complex, which in turn makes it more dense. The amount of energy per gram that goes through a microchip is greater than that of the surface of the sun. The energy density of current days chips is already ridiculous, and they are only going to get smaller and better!

Now, the densest thing in our universe is a black hole. There is an amazing amount of energy per gram and mass within such a small point. The Transcendence hypothesis states that the natural advancement of technology will create a black hole (the ultimate computer) and that this will open up a new dimension from a single point, which is a viable explanation for the Big Bang theory.

The gist of the hypothesis is this: It seems that technology mimics the natural design of the universe and everything within it. Perhaps it's so natural because that is how our very own universe was created. Perhaps the goal of intelligent life (which is essentially just the universe itself, since we are all made of consciousness) is to transcend. Many people talk about how eventually our universe will be dark and everything will be so spread out that there will be no chance for life to survive. After every star burns out and everything floats farther and farther away, there will basically be nothing left. Maybe intelligent life (which as I mentioned above is just a way for the universe to act and discover) is supposed to open a new universe to continue the "legacy".

Sorry if some things don't make sense, It's hard to explain something like this with just word

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

ibm labs have quantum qubits and had for a while

but the best part about quantum physics is entanglement - first photon teleportation was done, i believe, more than a decade ago, but over distance of 1 meter - about 3 feet... but more recently they quantum teleported over 16km (10 miles) distance

http://phys.org/news193551675.html

edit: apparently in recent days 60km teleportation was announced
    Last edited by zmon; 05-29-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Perfect script? There is no such thing as "perfect", only "better than you expect".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It is actually 143km

Paper here: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.3909v1.pdf
    Last edited by Rct33; 05-29-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Lol. Teleportation is real.. I'm liek, soo sm4r7, 17'5 n07 3v3n funny.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

That's not exactly teleportation.. That's just stuff moving really fast. I'd say the only teleportation ever truly announced was the Quantum entanglement of two twin particles at a distance. One actually just magically appears where the other one is no matter how far apart. If you find an explanation, you get a noble prize lol.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And that brings us onto Bell's theorem. The local or non-local universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    One actually just magically appears where the other one is no matter how far apart.
    That's not what happens. The quantum state of one particle of the entangled pair is measured. Then we therefore know the other quantum state of the other particle in the entangled pair instantly. It is pretty useless to us right now (for teleportation) but maybe in the future we might have a use for it.
    Last edited by Rct33; 05-31-2012 at 03:39 AM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rct33 View Post
    That's not what happens. The quantum state of one particle of the entangled pair is measured. Then we therefore know the other quantum state of the other particle in the entangled pair instantly. It is pretty useless to us right now (for teleportation) but maybe in the future we might have a use for it.
    About that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta09WXiUqcQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyt3x View Post
    LOL no way I'm watching a 1 hour lecture...

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Your talking about an entirely different topic of quantum mechanics on particles.
    Two particles at an arbitrary distance when entangled and measured, an action done to one will happen to the other. That's totally different from what I was talking about. But the Bell's theorem does apply. I was trying to explain the Bob-Alice thing but I guess I messed up. You guys can Google it though and see what I mean.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Still not seeing what you mean, when you do the 'Alice Bob thing'. You do not transport any energy or matter. No physical particles will have moved between Alice and Bob which was implied by your post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
    This doesn't have muuuch to do with quantum physics, but it's got some principals that are undeniably intertwined.

Recently, I learned of a theory called the "Transcendence hypothesis". It's an answer to Ferme's paradox, which states that if there is so much in the universe and so much potential for intelligent life, why don't we see signs of it everywhere?

The hypothesis states that instead of expanding and venturing out into the universe, technology is going to enable the ability to travel inward. The goal of technology is the make it smaller and more complex, which in turn makes it more dense. The amount of energy per gram that goes through a microchip is greater than that of the surface of the sun. The energy density of current days chips is already ridiculous, and they are only going to get smaller and better!

Now, the densest thing in our universe is a black hole. There is an amazing amount of energy per gram and mass within such a small point. The Transcendence hypothesis states that the natural advancement of technology will create a black hole (the ultimate computer) and that this will open up a new dimension from a single point, which is a viable explanation for the Big Bang theory.

The gist of the hypothesis is this: It seems that technology mimics the natural design of the universe and everything within it. Perhaps it's so natural because that is how our very own universe was created. Perhaps the goal of intelligent life (which is essentially just the universe itself, since we are all made of consciousness) is to transcend. Many people talk about how eventually our universe will be dark and everything will be so spread out that there will be no chance for life to survive. After every star burns out and everything floats farther and farther away, there will basically be nothing left. Maybe intelligent life (which as I mentioned above is just a way for the universe to act and discover) is supposed to open a new universe to continue the "legacy".

Sorry if some things don't make sense, It's hard to explain something like this with just word
    In regard to the "Transcendence Hypothesis": a theory acts to quantify what has yet to be quantifiable. Man seeks to gather understanding, and hence applies theory to comprehend to what are innately incomprehensible concepts. The Universe, with its subsequent laws and many intricacies, presents a canvas: blank, unfilled, and undefined. The human condition - that is to say, the perspective of the individual - adds paint to this metaphorical canvas, providing what some may call "art". The hypothetical goal put forth by the "Transcendence Hypothesis" acts to put meaning behind the existence of our Universe when in fact, man contrived and subsequently defined the term existence; hence, "existence" - that is, the concept of existence - purely represents a man-made ideal as opposed to a hidden agenda inscribed within the fabric of our known and unknown Universe- and any other Universe for that matter. Rather than question the meaning of existence, ponder the theme of the existence you created. Before testing a hypotheses, make sure you are asking the right question.

In the interest of topicality: what is your favorite flavor of quark? Personally I prefer top for it is rare, positive, and large - yet sadly, all too fleeting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Random interjection, but I almost got a tattoo of Bell's theorem!
    "Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    LOL no way I'm watching a 1 hour lecture...
    It's worth it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyt3x View Post
    It's worth it
    Agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What about Quantum Electrodynamics? It's the first theory that has agreement between Quantum Mechanics and Special Relativity. Paul Dirac and Hans Bethe were the predecessors to Quantum Physics in all, from what I've read.

Thread Information