Thread: Need people who went to University for Sofware Engineering..

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Default Need people who went to University for Sofware Engineering..

Hey guys, the time when I have to apply for University is coming soon, so I wanted to know a few things.

• What grades did you have when you applied?
    • What University?
    • What do they want to see on a application?
    • What're the best subjects to take?

If someone could answer these, that'd be awesome

(Waterloo Uni would be great, since I plan to go there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you're looking at CompSci programs, maybe UofT?
    Current activity: Recovering from vacation
    - Nulla pars vitae vacare officio potest -
    SRL membership? Can I buy that?
    Scripts - AGS - SWF - WAR - EMS - W100S-EM
    If you need scripting help, you can pm me. Remember, if you need help you have to ask for it properly though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Trust me don't go to u of t. go to loo...

I did get in loo but I went to UBC
    But ermmm

What grades did you have when you applied? : For my top 6 I had AP Chem-calc-physics c and english 12 and advanced functions and data management.

What University?:
    UBC, queens, mc gill Loo and U of T

What do they want to see on a application? : Your grade is probably the only thing that matters from what I've seen unless your going to film or arts where you need a portfolio or a audition. The mandatory 200 hours is good enough.

What're the best subjects to take?:
    Take computer engineering and comuter science through out grade 9 - 12 and you'll be set. The other 3 course that is pretty much mandatory are english, advanced function and calculus and vector. So you get 1 more course for you to pick for fun (which I recommend physics).

So your top 6 will just be:
    Computer engineering
    Computer programming
    English
    Calc and Vec
    Adv Functions
    *Insert another U course*

Your online programming work does help for loo. But don't mention simba, maybe run a site and make some little tool software like a mouse recorder or a client. But in reality, they are just looking at marks.

EDIT:

I would personally recommend you to go to UVic if you don't want to go to loo. UVic's software engineering program is pretty awsome too and has a lot of hardware course and it has all the good programming classes and the good hardware classes too. Plus its cheaper tuition, living expenses and better campus than loo.
    Last edited by Main; 05-30-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    Oh Hai Dar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm currently in 3rd year Electrical Engineering at UofT (st. George), so I've basically lived through 3/4 of what you will soon.

Answers in respective order

What grades did you have when you applied?
    I myself had an 89% average although i slacked most of the time (highschool is too easy), I was however aiming for a $2000 scholarship in which the cutoff was 90% (Fuck.)
    - Of course they [all the 'top' universities] have set up false pretenses in their grading acceptances, saying they're looking for mid-high 80's, sometimes even low 90's. This is just to make it seem like you've got to be really good to go to their facility.
    In reality, if you get an 80 flat, you're good to go mostly anywhere, but if you want to be secure try for that 85. (I know 3 students who've gotten into 90+ requirement programs with marks ranging from 83-87)

What University?
    In terms of Engineering, U of T was ranked #1 in Canada several years, which is why I chose it. Most of my friends went to Waterloo for engineering, I'm sure their program is good as well, and I know for a fact you will have slightly less/easier work as I've compared years 1 and 2 with friends of mine. But you get 4 months of summer if you go to UofT, whereas you always have to work (co-op) at Waterloo. Waterloo however is in the middle of nowhere, almost literally - it's in a campus town where all you'll see is kids in university (Loo and Laurier mostly), but UofT's in a busy city where people aren't so nice (rushed).
    Don't expect anyone to give a thorough comparison in terms of education since in order to do that, you'd have to go through both of the schools (I've went to both universities 2-3 times in grade 12 to try and pick which one to go to, a waste of time trying - you have to ask STUDENTS who've been there, not those who represent the universities AND ESPECIALLY NOT THE STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES). Those kids you see at the "orientations" who're usually 2nd, 3rd year students [4th years don't give a shit anymore unless they're running for president of a club] only choose to represent their universities because they're the type of people who literally do nothing but university and get high marks from that, pretending that school's really fun (You play/bot runescape, so I know you're not someone who'd be boring enough to spend all day, all night on studying just because you love school so much). I'm not saying I don't get high marks (now I do, 1st year definitely not), but if you want information from someone who has a lot more time and still gets 3.3-3.6 GPA, trust me and make the choice based on input from "regular" students.

What do they want to see on a application?
    - cliche answers to questions such as "why do you believe you'd make a good engineer"
    (honestly, the old "as a kid, i've taken toys apart and put them back together" is really corny, but the recruitment crew aren't so well-taught themselves so it's good enough for them)
    - 1 or 2 extra curriculars, don't even have to be big just be a member of some club(s)
    - of course your 40 hours.

What're the best subjects to take?
    - in some universities (UofT), you will have absolutely no choice until 3rd year, they're picked for you as they feel the pre-set courses are the best for an engineering student
    - Can't speak for Waterloo but there shouldn't be much choice until later on
    - As for later years, if you want high marks GO FOR ARTSCI courses, your 60-70's will turn into 70-80's easy, and some courses are even so easy as to get 90's in artsciences

If you're a grade 12 student, I know you'll have read through everything I typed. It's valuable information believe it or not, and feel free to ask me if you have further questions.
    118/120 Dungeoneering

Thread Information