Thread: York Uni or Brock Uni (CANADA)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Default York Uni or Brock Uni (CANADA)

Please tell me which school is more decent for Computer Science, York or Brock?

Thank You.

Also if anyone knows much how to transfer and how it would work from transferring from US to Canada, please post. Maybe moving to Canada for good so need as much info.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

You should try water loo or mc master or u of vic!

York U (Although its a good university) does have quite a lot of problem with its student body aswell as the faculty with frequent strikes. Also its computer science department isn't that great. Brock is also a small university and same story with York U, its computer science deparmment is just standards.

Moving to canada:
    Am not too sure about this, but I know the tuition isn't THAT much higher as we are quite low. With QC and BC being the lower end of the Top 3 Province.

Most people in my university (UBC) were able to transfer to either campus with no problem and they do give up to 2 years worth of credits in some faculties. But other university I have not much idea but you can just send them an email.

Jobs in canada:
    Altough GTA (Greater toronto area) is highly dense, but the tech sector isn't expanding that fast. And also due to clutter of students, it doesn't have as many job (in the computer science department) as other areas. Thus most computer sciencep eople (if they don't have an connection) went and find job in other cities or even small town.

Waterloo is a exception as major computer companies such as rim and google has a campus there for technology based jobs. Other places like vancouver or montreal is also expanding but montreal you need to learn french, and Vancouver area has TON of jobs for computer science and actually needs more students as BC lack computer science people.
    Last edited by Main; 06-01-2012 at 04:26 AM.
    Oh Hai Dar

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

LOL I live in Toronto and I've never heard of Brock Uni :S Anyway I'd pick york. I used to teach there as a tutor for math and physics and I got a lot of friends and Profs I know there. It's pretty damn good.

Oh and York was rated as having the Hottest girls in Canada on Playboy magazine.. Go figure :S The girls are pretty dumb but mad hot and the work is tough but definitely do-able.

To transfer you need a copy of your transcript and some ID. Passport should suffice. And what he said about the jobs are true.. You better have some serious skill or someone else is going to steal your opportunity.

When choosing a school here, think about it carefully. Hands-On vs. Books. UofT is all books. York is a mixture of both.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-01-2012 at 05:32 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Toronto girls are too clicky Hard to find any legit friendly and out girls chicks.
    Oh Hai Dar

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Go to UVic in BC, you'll love it for sure! They have great comp sci/software engineering/hardware engineering degrees.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If tis CompSci you want Waterloo is the place to be

Great uni, great town, nice people. Nowhere big as Toronto though so if your hearts set on seeing nothing but condos in the downtown then York is yer place

Accept that the waters around you have grown.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

If Canada GPA req is 3.0/B what will that convert in USA GPA system?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

70. ish

If you have 75 or + it should be cool
    Oh Hai Dar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P1nky View Post
    If Canada GPA req is 3.0/B what will that convert in USA GPA system?
    Different universities carry different GPA systems, but here is the system most commonly used in Canada.

http://www.undergrad.engineering.uto...e_Your_GPA.htm

As a 3rd year electrical engineering student at Uof T, I've done my share of computer science courses, so I can give you some input.
    If you're really into it and willing to work hard (20-30+ hour labs/programs) UofT's well known in this field with well taught professors, along with the university of Waterloo. These universities are known as 'high ranking', so with a degree from them, you'd be regarded well when searching for employment.

However if you're intent on York vs. Brock, definitely go for York. It's got more notoriety, and is climbing the ranks slowly with programs such as Schulich business (although not relative to comp sci, it's a representation of the school as a whole). Brock on the other hand is more of a new university, from my experience ranked lowly on par with schools (ie. Nipissing, Lakehead, UOIT).

You might think the 'name' or 'rank' of a university doesn't matter, but in the real world where bachelors degrees are becoming a dime a dozen, it does.
    All in all, the education you receive does not depend on the university, rather on the professors and TA's you are assigned.
    118/120 Dungeoneering

Thread Information