Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating Custom SPS MiniMap Maps Using Photoshop + Using Them

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Post Creating Custom SPS MiniMap Maps Using Photoshop + Using Them

This may be a length guide or seem challenging, but it took me a lot of time and I hope some appreciate it, and if you ever need help I'm always available on skype. I've been asked quite a few times and seen quite a few forum threads about how to make custom maps for areas that are outdated on the runescape_surface map so I decided to make my first tutorial. And others to come if my method of teaching is good.

Making The MinimapMap

For now I will start with something simple that I was just requested to me.

I use the Snipping Tool found in Start-up > All Programs > Accessories.

Step 1) Go to the area you wish to make a map for, I will use Falador east bank to the garden keep it small and simple for now. Right Click the map and click face north for an accurate map, Always make sure its RS absolute north.

Step 2) Open up the " Snipping Tool " and take a snapshot of just the Minmap area shown below.
    And Remember once you take the Snip with the " Snipping Tool " hit control + C and paste it into paint, or else it will have a very poor image quality.

< Correct

Example of saving the picture through Snipping Tool:
    < Distorted
    ^^ See how it distorts the image quality? You don't want that and your map will not work in the end.

Step 3) Repeat This process moving quite a few tiles until you got the whole area you are making a map for. Picture below for the example I'm doing. As I said in "Step 2" remember after taking the Snippit use Control + C then paste into paint.
    Note: Always leave some white space under your Minimaps so you will have space to work with when using Photoshop.

Step 4) Now after you have all your minimap shots into paint as shown above^^ save them as a .png file to your desktop or anywhere that you like. After you have saved the file open it up with Photoshop.

Step 5) You should now have something like this, shown below. Now you must select the " Elliptical Marquee Tool " that is circled by the red box.

Step 6) Now we will use the " Elliptical Marquee Tool " to draw a circle around the Minimap image, then once done right click and create a new layer from cut. Always remember after making a cut click back on layer 0 or the " Base " layer to make your next cut.

Step 7) Repeat step 6 Until all the pictures are cut and on new layers, Then click on the "Eye Symbol" for the " Base " or Layer 0 to hide the background, circled in red in the picture below.
    Now you should have something that looks like this.

Step 8) This is my personal preference but I like to flip all the layers around besides the first one(Base Layer or Layer 0), It helps with blending the maps together easier since colors change when the map gets loaded through the game client. I will show in a picture below.

^^ Notice before it was 0, 4, 3, 2, 1, now its 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

Step 9) Now that we got all the hard parts out of the way I know it might be overwhelming but this is really the easiest part, and I've seen some people do it funky ways.

We are going to start with layer 1 > Which is now our base going to select the " Move Tool " or press " V " on the keyboard, select layer 1 and drag it to the bottom of the canvas. If you don't know what the canvas is it is the checkered box in the background. Picture below. The Move Tool + The Layer are circled by Red.
    Last edited by Google; 06-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Step 10) Now this will probably be the hardest part to show through a written tutorial. While still using the "Move Tool" select layer 2 and drag it over layer one and decrease the opacity as shown in the picture. Then use the fence, bank outlines + road to line the two pictures perfectly together. Picture Below.

^^ Notice how the fence, roads + bank are stacked over each other in both pictures.
    Once the two are lined up drag the opacity back to 100% it will now look like this.

^^ After you lined them up bring the opacity back to 100%.

Step 11) Now select with layer 3 and drag the minimap picture over the others, reduce the opacity and line them up. Picture Below.

^^ Line them both up with both pictures, do not worry about symbols we can remove them later.

Step 12) Now select with layer 3 and drag the minimap picture over the others, reduce the opacity and line them up. Picture Below.

^^ Make sure they are all lined up correctly..

Step 13) Second to last step just need to do some touch-ups fixing the Tree Patch + bank symbol, so you would have to click the " Eye " once again to which picture has the most defined | most accurate position. In my case I will be using " Layer 1 for the bank symbol " , and " Layer 2 for the Tree Patch ".

First off for the bank symbol we are going to hide layer 1, then select layer 3 since that layer has the symbol we are trying to remove, then press " E " or go to the " Eraser Tool ", Now we are going to erase the bank symbol + yellow npc dot with the eraser tool, then enable layer1 again to see result. Picture Below.

Result Below:

Repeat step 13 until all unnecessary symbols are removed.

Step 14) In order to finish the photo were going to need to select layers 1-4 you can do this by clicking layer 1, then holding down shift and clicking layer 4. This will highlight all the layers in between and layer 4. Next you need to link the pictures together. Which is circled in the picture below, its the chain on the menu box at the bottom.

After they are linked select layer one, then the paint bucket and paint the layer black. after then un-hide "Base Layer or Layer 0" and then you are finished.

Now just save the photo as a .png to your desktop, open it up in paint and just re-size the canvas to your liking, the smaller the better I believe. Once your done with that just re-save using " Save As ' hit save, and if the transparent window pops up click OK and you're good to go.

Final Result:

- Whole process takes about 2 mins tops to make a map through photoshop.
    Last edited by Google; 06-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Using The Minimap Map In Your Script

First off you will down to download the path maker I will give two links below.

M34tcode's Path Maker: http://villavu.com/forum/showthread....highlight=path <- I use this one
    Wolygon's Path Maker: http://villavu.com/forum/showthread....highlight=path

Now the easiest part of the tutorial making a walking path. We will take this mini-map we just made and put it into the folder runescape_other.

^ This is how you get to the folder or you can click startup and where it says search all programs and files type " runescape_other" then open that folder.

After putting it into the runescape_other folder open up your path maker, for this tutorial I'm going to be using M34tcode's Path Maker. After it has opened go to Image > Load Different Map.

A box will pop up just go back to the runescape_other folder and select the map you just made.

^ It should look like this, now all you do is click on the map and make points of where to walk. I'm going to start at the bank and end at the garden. Closer the points I've found to be more accurate paths.

^^ The red arrow is my first point and it ends at the garden, now to take the path coordinates and implement them into a script.

Now just open up a blank Simba file and were going to test the path now.

First you must copy then path array which is found on the path creator, there is a picture below then you can use the Simba code below as a guide.

Simba Code:
    Program TestPath;
    {$DEFINE SMART} //< Edit this out if using Rs Client
    {$i srl/srl.Simba}
    {$i sps/sps.simba}

var //{path name}
        //{delcare the sps variable}
      togarden: tpointarray;

procedure paths;
    begin
      togarden := [Point(188, 226), Point(183, 221), Point(176, 219), Point(169, 218), Point(162, 216), Point(155, 214), Point(144, 210), Point(134, 204), Point(125, 197), Point(120, 193), Point(126, 174), Point(142, 173), Point(152, 171), Point(172, 180), Point(180, 181), Point(191, 181), Point(202, 181), Point(212, 177), Point(217, 174), Point(229, 161)]
    end;
    procedure testpath;
    begin
      if sps_walkpath(togarden) then
      else begin
        writeln(status + ' + time running:' +timerunning);
     end;
      writeln(status + ' + time running:' +timerunning);
    end;
    begin
      srl_sixhourfix := true;
      smart_fixspeed := true;

setupsrl;
      paths; //{call path variables here}
      //{Mistake I see a lot only call the map once, Not in the procedure}
      //{If using multiple accounts it will always give an error when trying to pull the map}
      sps_setup(runescape_other,['falador_test']);

clicknorth(srl_angle_high);

testpath;

repeat
      until(false)
    end.

Congratuations if you followed all the steps correctly you can do any walking | create a map for any situation.
    If you have any question please feel free to post or send me a message on skype.
    Last edited by Google; 06-11-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

Isn't there already a tutorial for this?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ollybest View Post
    Isn't there already a tutorial for this?
    Don't think so would be quite upsetting if there was. I think the other one was for making just one snap shot for a map.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

You did great on this tutorial, job well done.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    You did great on this tutorial, job well done.
    Thank you very much flight.
    Last edited by Google; 06-12-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

great job google. i might have to actually start using SPS now. :P

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

I was actually planning of adding a section like this to my tutorial, but no-one ever requested me to make a map for them. Well, I was actually planning to make a video of the process of merging maps together. Good job on the tutorial but I suggest that you also show how to delete the unwanted symbols and npc/player dots.

Script source code available here: Github

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by x[Warrior]x3500 View Post
    great job google. i might have to actually start using SPS now. :P
    Thanks Glad its not to hard to understand took me a while and started to slack off towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by J J View Post
    I was actually planning of adding a section like this to my tutorial, but no-one ever requested me to make a map for them. Well, I was actually planning to make a video of the process of merging maps together. Good job on the tutorial but I suggest that you also show how to delete the unwanted symbols and npc/player dots.
    I was going to add a video tut onto this because it was a little to hard to show removing symbols etc through a tutorial, but I can't find the right screen capture program.
    Last edited by Google; 06-12-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Are custom maps more reliable?
    Learning To Code - So Excuse the n00b questions!

Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NoUserName View Post
    Alot, Try it and you will never go back :P

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

Google this is such a great tutorial, im going to practice some SPS making once I get home from school. Keep it up Google. Rep+1

600th Post.!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

im more off a fireworks person, but i am going to try this soon i will let you know how i get on.

i find normal maps miss cords and mess up every so often

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Ah yes I just posted on your thread few seconds ago, extremely accurate and fast. There is a request link at the top I can make maps if you are having trouble. Was considering making a whole world map but I honestly don't have the time to go around and take snap shots of everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ucantseemebot View Post
    Google this is such a great tutorial, im going to practice some SPS making once I get home from school. Keep it up Google. Rep+1

600th Post.!!
    Thank you glad its not too messy

im more off a fireworks person, but i am going to try this soon i will let you know how i get on.

i find normal maps miss cords and mess up every so often
    It is because the map is too outdated, I found almost 70% of the areas are unstable and do not work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GOOGLE View Post
    It is because the map is too outdated, I found almost 70% of the areas are unstable and do not work.
    though it would be something like this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

though it would be something like this.
    If you need help or the map made for you just visit the other thread at the top of this tutorial. I'm making map requests considering making a whole world map.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

a whole world map would be amazing would be willing to help on that if i ever get the hang off it why do you have too use the mini map why not just just the world map pop out?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

a whole world map would be amazing would be willing to help on that if i ever get the hang off it why do you have too use the mini map why not just just the world map pop out?
    Because if you open the world map every single color is off, next time your logged on check it out,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

though so, how dose sps actually work?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

though so, how dose sps actually work?
    It's a color positioning system that gives you tile-like information of your current position on the map.

I think

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)

Google, this is an amazing tutorial, I absolutely love it. It was easy to understand and the first map I created using this was easily the most accurate SPS has ever been. I love it, keep them coming! I repped as well(;

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SRLKing View Post
    Google, this is an amazing tutorial, I absolutely love it. It was easy to understand and the first map I created using this was easily the most accurate SPS has ever been. I love it, keep them coming! I repped as well(;
    Thanks glad to hear it helped you out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just wondered, say if there is red dots on the minimap, would that affect the sps at all? Or would you have to erase them?
    Amazing tutorial btw.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Yes you would have to erase them but you can also just avoid them while making your path.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information