Thread: What do you science guys think of this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default What do you science guys think of this?

I think the notion of us all being a thought is an interesting one.
    "Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

This is pretty interesting, nice find. Weird to think about

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

My funny opinion is that since these two pictures look similar. The brain is the most important part of the body for us to move. And the universe is the most important and makes everything out there. In other words they both are important and both are the main one's. Idk if that what you were looking for but that's just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is how I think of it, we can dream, and we create scenery and people in our dreams, and if we are just a brain cell of another entity, then this entity would have an almost infinitely larger amount of brain power than we do, thus being able to create more complex, detailed dreams, this dream being us, or perhaps a memory.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

I've read this some time ago and having studied both biology and physics, i have to disagree on this discovery.

Theorist often make a logical fallacy of accepting all supporting evidence (similarities) to their discovery while rejecting all conflicting evidence (differences) --commonly known as "confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance".

A typical example would be how some theorist claim that the integer "11" has a significant meaning to 9/11. They then go on presenting supporting evidence (eg. there are 11 characters in one of the hijackers name etc) but drop off all the the conflicting evidence (eg. there are only 4 hijackers, not 11).

Similarly, the resemblance between the brain cell and the galaxy filaments is at best, superficial. If we were to examine other properties, for instance their functions (neurons transmit electrical signals within the body whereas there is no transfer of matter between galaxy filaments) or their physical properties (Dendrites and axons are dense physical structures whereas galaxy filaments are mostly empty spaces), you will discover significant differences that are sufficient to overshadow the superficial similarities.

This is yet another example of how humans being self-centered and think that the universe revolve around them when in fact, we are just insignificant beings of the vast universe. Our resemblance to anything would be purely coincidence (remember how we are strikingly similar to rats?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just for the sake of argument because I'm impressed by your answer and want to see more, there is energy transfer in the form of light between galaxies. As for empty space, it is not actually empty, there is energy in that space that acts much in the same way as waves on an ocean (you can find this in any article discussing attempts to build a "warp drive" engine) Although I do see that in relation to axons this empty space does not quite demonstrate nearly as much mass in relation to size, and as for the human's being self-centered, yes that is true but I think something like this would dilute our importance rather than propel it.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Why should I believe that the picture on the right side is even accurate? Some computer we created generated this image. We cannot even prove this nor our own existence. Can't cure simple diseases yet we can see across a universe.. psh..

This doesn't look or sound right to me :S
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

in terms of the diseases, it's easier to tackle the big obstacles than the smaller ones. Mapping the universe would just be a combination of viewing and piecing together, while things like simple diseases go far into DNA. As far as proving our own existence, tis impossible, you might have heard of this but check out Solipsism.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

The image on the right just... seems... inaccurate.
    I don't quite get how it simulates the universe growing and evolving.
    It could have just been generated to make it look like a brain cell for the exact purpose to make one thing "u huh, cool"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Is the picture on the right side a snapshot of the "visible" light? (Not a computer-colored UV kind-of-stuff?)

I like how they look the same, but I totally agree with riwu. It has a kind of haughtiness if we equalize our brain with the universe.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

I don't get it. What is so amazing about this?

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Soo many connections!!! What does it mean!!!

Sorry for the troll, but there are many things that look alike, and that doesn't prove anything besides that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

I think this is more philosophical than scientific.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

@ ashman88, voltorb picture made me laugh pretty hard.

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

What about Dan Brown's notion that our thoughts shape the world?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

The number 42. That is all.
    Away for awhile, life is keeping me busy. | Want to get my attention in a thread? @Kyle Undefined; me.
    { MSI Phoenix || SRL Stats Sigs || Paste || Scripts || Quotes || Graphics }

When posting a bug, please post debug! Help us, help you!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. || To be the best, you've got to beat the rest. || Logic never changes, just the syntax.
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ, or about a script that is not mine, I will NOT respond.

SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba. We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Voltorb picture is hilarious. I didn't post it claiming it was fact or anything, I was just curious of the "what if" conversation it could bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Undefined View Post
    The number 42. That is all.
    I'm totally going to go watch that movie now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

These pictures pose an interesting coincidence, but aesthetics aside, I see no other parallel. I believe it extremely arrogant and egotistical for one to think our minds represent the Universe and/or the workings thereof. Biology, Astronomy, and Physics all pose certain similarities among one another ; yet, the images shown hardly constitute a similarity between these three distinct disciplines. I happen to agree with riwu: by nature, man is an egoistical and self-centered creature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's another interesting concept. God is a rat.
    Nobody kill any more rats!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Visually interesting, but personally, its 3D space crushed flat, any other angle probably does not show very much similarity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just like it's the brain cell crushed flat, and it would look different at a different angle.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lol Ness3s its mesmerizing.

Thread Information