Thread: Laptop overheat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default Laptop overheat

Hello, I have a HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop, and it has 4 years now, it does a far amount of noise and overheats a lot, I have one of those supports with coolers but itsn't good for the health of those fans if I leave them ON everytime the computer is on...

What can I do to solve this problem? I vaccum the fans of the computer from the outside one time a month, but it still overheats and does many fan noise

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

Try propping it up on something to increase intake, secondly the loud fan noise is a result of you crunching the ram and cpu on your pc so maybe do less on it..

you should try and clean the fans more often andif you can get to the inside bits it helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)

Make sure the laptop is elevated and air flows underneath it. If you are by a all the time, try putting ice packs below it(I do that with external HDDs when transferring large chunks of data).
    Miner & Urn Crafter & 07 Chicken Killer
    SPS BlindWalk Tutorial

Working on: Nothing

teacher in every art, brought the fire that hath proved to mortals a means to mighty ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All already have one of those supports that have 2 coolers and that also elevate the laptop to a certain degree, but the fans don't seem to be enough power to cool it properly

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

You're going to run into this problem with every laptop the only thing you can really do is what litorus suggested, use ice-packs every hour or so.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Take your laptop apart, if you know the internal components of it you should be easily able to find the CPU, its heatsync and its fan. Unscrew the fan and you will probably see a fair amount of dust gathered around and in the heatsync. Get compressed air or a vacuum cleaner and get rid of the dust and let your laptop sit for maybe 30 minutes so it can get a good cooldown and turn it back on and monitor the temperature, if it still rises then you probably have a more serious problem.
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What cycrosism said.. A fresh coating of thermal paste on the cpu and gpu wouldn't hurt either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I've found that lowering the "Maximum processor state" helps reduce the noise / heat of my laptop.

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Advanced Power Settings:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

My laptop is so crap, shits itself running 1 script at full cpu, atm running riwuDomDagannoth, and its going bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! lmao.
    Last known as Jonno.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
    I've found that lowering the "Maximum processor state" helps reduce the noise / heat of my laptop.

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Advanced Power Settings:

sorry but would u mind adding more images for this? find my laptop fan really loud
    edit: dw found it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Killer View Post
    sorry but would u mind adding more images for this? find my laptop fan really loud
    edit: dw found it
    The problem with lowering the maximum processor state is that when you need to use the full processor (for the OP he said that one script maxes his CPU) so lowering the Maximum processor state lowers the maximum clock speed of the CPU which means that he will still be running at 100% and that he will still have the same problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cycrosism View Post
    Take your laptop apart, if you know the internal components of it you should be easily able to find the CPU, its heatsync and its fan. Unscrew the fan and you will probably see a fair amount of dust gathered around and in the heatsync. Get compressed air or a vacuum cleaner and get rid of the dust and let your laptop sit for maybe 30 minutes so it can get a good cooldown and turn it back on and monitor the temperature, if it still rises then you probably have a more serious problem.
    That was the best advice ever, but I can't seem to find a lot of tutorials that teach you how to take an HP laptop apart and I'm afraid of screwing it up by messing around without know where and how to look it up, could you tell me how do take the bottom part? I can open the fans, hard-drive, top panel and screen, batterie and stuff, but I'm afraid of taking it apart more than that...could you get me a tutorial of the web on how to do it? Because once I cleaned the top panel (with volume touch bottoms and stuff) and the screen, and the computer paused for a couple of days when I opened the laptop while on blackscreen

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YesMan View Post
    That was the best advice ever, but I can't seem to find a lot of tutorials that teach you how to take an HP laptop apart and I'm afraid of screwing it up by messing around without know where and how to look it up, could you tell me how do take the bottom part? I can open the fans, hard-drive, top panel and screen, batterie and stuff, but I'm afraid of taking it apart more than that...could you get me a tutorial of the web on how to do it? Because once I cleaned the top panel (with volume touch bottoms and stuff) and the screen, and the computer paused for a couple of days when I opened the laptop while on blackscreen
    When taking it apart always unplug it and remove the battery. It should be fairly easy to remove the bottom part, there should be maybe 6 screws and if you take them all out the whole bottom panel should come right off and from there you should be able to see the RAM. If you know where the processor is located (Should be easy to tell as you can see the vents from the outside) you should either be able to unscrew the fan or slide it off, from there that's when you should start removing some dust. Make sure you screw everything back on before powering it back on.

If you are scared about possibly damaging the computer get a professional to do it for you.
    Click here to find out how to get full screen without members! | Click here to check out my Ultimate Bitmap Tutorial! Edited to work with Simba! |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Replace the fan! The noise sounds like it could be the fan on its last legs. I do not think you need to repaste the heat sync, but make sure you clean it with canned air. Good luck with the dissemblance.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
    Current Projects:
    Addy bar miner and superheater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think YOU should do anything. Better go to some service and let the pro's handle it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Should underclock

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So...my laptop is a HP Pavillion dv9000 (a 17.1'' notebook) and I bought a cooler support a couple of years ago (NotePal B2 by Cooler Master)
    It was for 15” notebook, but the guy said it worked nice for 17'' notebooks, I was in a worry, so I bought it...

But I still think till now that the fans aren't powerful enough, because the average CPU temperature with the cooler on is still 45~50ºC and the fans of the laptop are noisy
    Am I just overreacting or is this normal?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YesMan View Post
    So...my laptop is a HP Pavillion dv9000 (a 17.1'' notebook) and I bought a cooler support a couple of years ago (NotePal B2 by Cooler Master)
    It was for 15” notebook, but the guy said it worked nice for 17'' notebooks, I was in a worry, so I bought it...

But I still think till now that the fans aren't powerful enough, because the average CPU temperature with the cooler on is still 45~50ºC and the fans of the laptop are noisy
    Am I just overreacting or is this normal?
    45-50 degrees celsius is very low for a CPU. My CPU currently runs on 70 degrees. I clean my computer every time it gets a 90 degrees temperature, but even then my top is closer to the 100-110 degrees. Above that it becomes critical. Don't expect any computer, especially a laptop to go below the 45 degrees.
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Yeah 40-50 is pretty decent, my laptop brand new runs at 60-70 (Is a beast though).

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's at a steady 46-47ºC now (only with a lot of tabs of Google Chrome opened)

So I guess the cooler (for a 15'') works fine for my 17.1'' laptop, I'm less worried now
    I vaccum my laptop too (I opened it once, but I didn't went all the way to the CPU fan because I didn't wanted to mess it up - the video of the disassembly finished with basically the moderboard and the fan, so it scared the shit out of me and I stopped after a bit, but cleaned some dust on the way, not specificaly from the CPU fan because I'd mess things up)
    I grabbed a powerful vaccum and made the CPU fan go crazy, ahah, bye bye dust at the surface and did the same thing on the exhaust (in and out) and the holes/ports of the laptop

Thread Information