Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Default Help With YoHoJo's Resume!

Yo dogs.

Here's my resume:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/duqa1ixu0vra224/SRLResume.doc
    ^Never used dropbox to share, amidoingitright?

It's more or less complete, I'd like it looked over and critiqued.
    [Removed email/address/etc from top, but in the real one it's there of course]

Q: Should I have a section where I list my relevant coursework?

Q: I have skills section at bottom, I like the computer stuff I put, but it needs more, how can I add onto it without listing generic stuff like 'detail oriented', 'organized', etc etc hurrr Or should I remove this section completely and SHOW how I used these skills in my experience?

Q: What else should I add/remove?

Q: What things should I change/customize/edit based on different job/job descriptions?

Q: What should be reworded/removed etc to make it seem more relevant.

I'm just looking for any entry level/internship positions at anything business/economics related.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I see this is for a business/economics. But if this was for a computer/technical (or if you;d like to include it anyways). You can say simba as "Delphi based computer vision and computer macro." hehe
    Oh Hai Dar

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

I would remove the "object"
    I took a communications class and she suggested not having an objective in your resume, as wanting to be hired is obvious, and all you are going to do is recycle over used terms anyway :P (looking for a team environment where I can demonstrate leadership while maintaining punctual and impeccable performance)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Agreed, was thinking of removing it thanks.
    Help me out guys please
    I guess there are just too many kiddies who know nothing about resumes here HUH!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Resume's are quiet hard, I don't blame anyone for not giving you help, also because if you give some wrong info you may cost the person their job?
    Bored of playing rs, and bored of botting it, why am i here?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Yoho I'd say your resume is fine, it's mainly the interview that you want to nail. Also phone the company a lot, bother them until they give you an interview or tell you to go away lol (call them once, twice a week?)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

Okay, here's my two cents.
    - Put your name and address at the top... you're missing that key bit out, also include your phone number and email.
    - do a summary of qualifications
    - have a sub title saying references and have underneath available on request --> this is pertaining to your work experience.

I think a really good way of setting it out would be like this: as yours seems too cluttered.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I agree with Benny, qualifications are a must, is this to apply to something specific or to a lot of companies? Think about what key skills they are going to be looking for, both to do with the work and personal skills like time management and organisation, take these skills and come up with something specific you have done that demonstrates you have can do this.

I think the content is really good, but you need a grammar nazi here, full stops man! :P
    If the company is expecting your resume then I would seriously consider getting rid of the bullet points. Sentences that flow well will sound much better. The way it is set out with sub-heddings is really good.

The Maths tutoring looks really impressive and you did that for a long time, maybe emphasise this a bit more. If you expanded to end up teaching many people on recommendation then include that. You will also want to include a few people as a reference, maybe contact the parent of somebody you used to tutor, or somebody at one of the places that you worked (somebody you know will give you a good reference) and make sure you ask them first. Be detailed about what you did for these people.

Hope this helped, sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Default Resume for YoHoJo

This is a format of the current resume I use atm. I removed somethings from it and just provided an outline, but after filling in everything, you should have the perfect resume.

Name: (Format = “First” (“Middle”) “Last”)
    (Address)
    City, Province/State, Zip code
    Phone: (Format = (Area Code)”number”
    Email

Career Objective: To offer my customer service attitude and experience to the benefit of your corporation.

Summary of Qualifications

Example:

o Ability to communicate in English
    o Friendly and easy to get along with
    o Have good communication skills
    o Familiar with workplace expectations and requirements
    o Open to corrections and willing to abide by them

Related employment experiences

Format:
    Job name (Year )
    Company name
    Work Done

Example:
    Bagger (Summer 2008)
    Extra foods
    o Bagged the costumer’s groceries and sometimes helped them carry it to their vehicles
    o Collected shopping carts that costumers leave around the parking lot and take them inside for the use of the costumers.

Other Work Experience

Format:
    Job name (Year )
    Company name
    Work Done

Education and Training

Example:

o WHIMIS certificate
    o Undergraduate at the University of Saskatchewan
    o Construction safety training

Interests and Activities

References:
    Available upon request

Last updated: April 23, 2012

Make sure you actually have your references handy and updated.

Make sure to call your references atleast 2 days before the day of your interview to make sure...well that they are still alive and breathing then to inform them of the interview and to prep them

Make sure your resume is always updated, as you can see, I last updated mine on April 23 and I have it at the very bottom because your employee does not need it, but it is for you to know the last time you visited your resume

Some people say Carrer objective is not important, I say bull
    Not only is it a good say to start off your resume, but it also looks professional and shows that your put thought into the resume instead of just starting out with listing all your accomplishments (no one likes a showoff)

Have fun with it, don't go too much overboard.

As you write your resume, think about the person who is going to be reading it, they've seen over 50 different resumes, they don't need another 3 page resume to look through while sipping coffee to keep them awake - make it short and simple (Mine is only one page and half)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Resume has no place for references...

Secondly address on the top is key; they want to also check to see where your located too so that plays a factor. I've hired people at our firm due to the fact they were more local then others who turned in applications...

Email is good too; some companys take your email and insert it into facebook....

Also a email is another great way for them to get in touch with you too, its eaiser to shoot you a email for a follow up then a phone call that you just don't know how quick of a call it would be....

I also disagree with Interests and Activities for a resume, if it doesn't drive in the same direction of sucess don't mention anything you like to do for fun, or that you play on a bowling leauge on the weekends, keep it stictly professional....

Use Work Experience that only applys to the job you are being hired for. So that means if you worked at a local shopping market and your trying to land a job at a local design firm don't use the shopping market as work experience.

Also if you have a AS degree in science and a BS degree in science just use the BS because naturally you'll have the AS its just to be expected...

If you have a BS in design then a masters in bussiness then there is a reason to show two degrees.

Keep your raw file on a thum drive, then make a PDF send it to your self with the date in the header, and on a thum drive so its always with you....

Send resumes via PDF file or copy and paste it via email....

Some jobs require you to email it in the first email no attachments, others want it faxed, and then others want a PDF file...

Keep a copy on your phone too so you can always fire a resume off....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by po2n star View Post
    Resume has no place for references...
    If you don't put them in your Resume you should put them in the cover letter, don't make your employer have to ask for them, especially if you aren't applying for a job that you know there is a vacancy in (which is most of the jobs I apply for at my age).

That's another thing, make sure you do a good cover letter with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by putonajonny View Post
    If you don't put them in your Resume you should put them in the cover letter, don't make your employer have to ask for them, especially if you aren't applying for a job that you know there is a vacancy in (which is most of the jobs I apply for at my age).

Yeah, have a good cover letter (just google) that relates you/your resume to the company. And you can include your references on a second page with the same header as your first (source: college career services).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by putonajonny View Post

I can promise you, references are in no spot for a resume AT ALL...

Resume is only there to judge you from everyone else, they want to see that you know X Y & B before they make a opinion on you its a quick way to scan a paper to see if you are either a canidate or not.

References are only needed IF THEY ASK...Reason I say this is because, if your not their top 3 references mean nothing...If it comes down to picking Sally or Bob and both have good creditionals and both have out standing resumes then the only thing to split up the two would be references which they will ask for...LET THEM ASK because thats a good sign, and it allows for you to talk, or show your face again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    Yo dogs.

Here's my resume:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/duqa1ixu0vra224/SRLResume.doc
    ^Never used dropbox to share, amidoingitright?

It's more or less complete, I'd like it looked over and critiqued.
    [Removed email/address/etc from top, but in the real one it's there of course]

Q: Should I have a section where I list my relevant coursework?

Q: I have skills section at bottom, I like the computer stuff I put, but it needs more, how can I add onto it without listing generic stuff like 'detail oriented', 'organized', etc etc hurrr Or should I remove this section completely and SHOW how I used these skills in my experience?

Q: What else should I add/remove?

Q: What things should I change/customize/edit based on different job/job descriptions?

Q: What should be reworded/removed etc to make it seem more relevant.

I'm just looking for any entry level/internship positions at anything business/economics related.
    You worked in my town bro?
    Join the IRC! irc.rizon.net:6667/srl | SQLite (0.99rc3+) | SRL Doc | Simba Doc | Extra Simba Libraries (openSSL & sqlite3)
    Quote Originally Posted by #srl
    10:45 < Toter> daphil when can get sex anyday I want
    10:45 < Toter> he is always on #SRL
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

DO NOT SAY REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST!
    Employers think of that as lazy. Call them to confirm their approval of being a reference.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

A resume should always have a brief description of your qualifications. Why? Because I once wrote a program for a company that scans such resume's and they scan the first few lines and pick out key words. Also the first thing an employer looks at is usually the top and they want to know what you can do right off the bat. If they don't see it, they usually go to the next guy or ignore the rest. A line or two should do.

Yes it seems lazy but it's true.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Thread Information