Thread: Sociology or Anthropology?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default Sociology or Anthropology?

Let's get real people.
    What curse is better to take nowadays at college, Sociology or Anthropology?
    Which one is better in terms of work and liability (profession and money)?

What does a Sociologist do on practical terms? (not wikipedia theory crap)
    Where can he work?

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Nothing.. It's like those girls who take fashion and think they're going to be a model or some big fashion icon.. Don't get me wrong.. Some do make it places but not most. Nowadays fashion is just the stuff from long ago being brought back to life.

Sociology, Anthropology, Kinematics.. Meh not much in my books.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How can you compare types of Science with Fashion?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Metaphor.

Saying their both a long shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Only a long shot for Science if you're lazy.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YesMan View Post
    Only a long shot for Science if you're lazy.
    Not true at all.. My mech engineering friends dropped mech to take the subjects mentioned. They even said it was a mistake. One of them took psychology and made it somewhere but the others well.. I mean yeah mech is hard and the field is competitive but what's the chances of Anthro being any better?

It was indeed just a metaphor. Comparing practicality in the specified fields. The way I saw it at the time was that it was a long shot to get somewhere with it. It is of course your choice but I'm just stating my opinion and what I have seen so far. I'm not sure if it's changed within the past 2 years or not but meh.

Maybe just my city of Toronto is like that. Dunno for anywhere else :S If I absolutely must choose between the two I guess I'd choose Anthro.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-21-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

I am taking a sociology and a philosophy class in summer school atm (college)

Easiest things you will ever take, I am taking them just for general electives but regardless I can't imagine it gets much harder and my professor even said unless you plan on becoming a teacher a "sociologist" don't really make much money and are more just titles than an actual profession.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Not true at all.. My mech engineering friends dropped mech to take the subjects mentioned. They even said it was a mistake. One of them took psychology and made it somewhere but the others well.. I mean yeah mech is hard and the field is competitive but what's the chances of Anthro being any better?
    Changing Mech engineering for a social science as Socio or Anthropology? I'm sorry, but your friends have no clue about what they wanna do in life.
    And how can you compare Mech with Anthro? Seriously dude, Socio and Anthro with Fashion and now this? You really need to study your metaphores...

Quote Originally Posted by R4nd0m View Post
    I am taking a sociology and a philosophy class in summer school atm (college)

Easiest things you will ever take, I am taking them just for general electives but regardless I can't imagine it gets much harder and my professor even said unless you plan on becoming a teacher a "sociologist" don't really make much money and are more just titles than an actual profession.
    What about on research terms?
    Could you develop more what your professor said?
    I really like Anthropology, knowing and exploring ways of living, different religions, cultures and people...but to study that, that is A LOT to digest...I kinda wanted to KNOW Anthropology concepts and ideas, but like an hobby, not my job, because it's a lot to study, to know and to memorize, atlas, books, encyclopedias, lots and lots of stuff within many disciplines
    Anthropology is like Psicology, Sociology, Biology, Geology and Philosophy combined...that's why it is so difficult
    Last edited by YesMan; 07-21-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

[QUOTE=YesMan;1073334]Let's get real people.
    What curse is better to take nowadays at college, Sociology or Anthropology?

i recommend that you don't do any curse ;0
    op: i would personally take sociology as i would find it intresting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IMO Sociology has a better chance of being an empolyable skill - especially when you merge it with a business degree or certification (HR departments, marketing, trending analysis, etc). By itself, its' still more employable than Anthro simply because theres more openings or opportunities than the anthro.
    If you can get in either, take electives in some other field and switch over to them if possible and keep the socio as a back up.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

I live in Europe, Netherlands. We have a very high rate of employment and in our culture it is accepted to talk about employment. The problem with both courses is that there aren't many jobs utilizing those fields. Especially in economical bad times, it is the first thing companies will cut on. I highly suggest looking in a less social direction. Would it be a out of the question to study something else? What are your interests? What job can you imagine doing yourself later in life? If it really is your calling you can do it, but don't expect to get a great job. Also make sure you are well above average on your scores, when job opportunities are limited that will make or break a career.
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

If you like science, why not try scientology instead.

http://www.scientology.org/
    My scripts:
    Advanced Barb Agility Course(outdated), MonkeyThieverV0.11, MahoganyTableV0.4(outdated)
    Questions? I bet that for 98% of those, you'll find answer HERE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Sociology is more useful in most professions, however a Major of Sociology is pretty much worthless. It is one of the lowest starting pay four year degrees you could get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masterBB View Post
    I highly suggest looking in a less social direction. Would it be a out of the question to study something else? What are your interests? What job can you imagine doing yourself later in life? If it really is your calling you can do it, but don't expect to get a great job. Also make sure you are well above average on your scores, when job opportunities are limited that will make or break a career.
    I really appreciated your point of view since I live in Europe too, but on my case the employment rate of graduates here in Portugal is lower than the one on the Netherlands

I like Psicology (I love series like Lie To Me, Dr. House, Dexter, Lost, C.S.I and I'm currently watching Bones, since it has the Psicology and the Anthopology parts, Anthropology (knowing other cultures, religions and people) since I have a over the top sense of analysis, coldness to analyse different points of view and a good critical spirit, Biology too, I love watching some of those National Geographic documentaries, but I don't see me there, with the animals, either on land or on sea, would be a boring job after a while, I love photography and can go my way around Photoshop
    I love history, facts, different cultures and perspectives, statistics, the meaning of stuff, why we do this, why we pick that, what happens when we do that...etc
    I'm one of those guys that likes to ask "why" and not just memorize stuff for school purpose, it's way better what way

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eska View Post
    If you like science, why not try scientology instead.

http://www.scientology.org/
    The best way to find some new friends.

Nice one

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by usseller View Post
    How can you compare types of Science with Fashion?
    My gosh.. if you and the op didn't understand what I was saying then you guys are on the wrong track.

They have the same employment rate.. He asked what "CURSE" to take between the two. Fashion is also a cursed major along with the ones mentioned. Please check the job rate. I'm not here to bash him or bash science. I was simply stating a comparable major so he gets the idea of what he's going into.

I think OP got offended by my comparisons so that's why he hates the metaphors. Jobwise though, they are the same.

These jobs mentioned are the lowest paying jobs AND have the lowest hiring rate where I live:
    Sociology, anthropology, political science, social philosophy, communication studies, cultural studies, demography, literary theory, fashion, cusine, waiters, cashiers, farming, cultural arts, etc.. They are all comparable in hiring rate which is why I compared them to fashion. In these fields it's either go big or go home.

That was what my comparison was. If you don't like it, it's not my fault. I'm just putting it out there. If you want science departments only, feel free to google it. And I did compare it to mech engineering because that's also part of the science department. If you didn't know, physics, fluid mechanics, etc are all part of mech. It's only fair I compare a science to a science and job employment in one field to another. What kind of metaphors are you looking for? Why don't you give an example then..
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-23-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

My gosh.. if you and the op didn't understand what I was saying then you guys are on the wrong track.

They have the same employment rate.. He asked what "CURSE" to take between the two. Fashion is also a cursed major along with the ones mentioned. Please check the job rate. I'm not here to bash him or bash science. I was simply stating a comparable major so he gets the idea of what he's going into.

I think OP got offended by my comparisons so that's why he hates the metaphors. Jobwise though, they are the same.

These jobs mentioned are the lowest paying jobs and have the lowest hiring rate:
    Sociology, anthropology, political science, social philosophy, communication studies, cultural studies, demography, literary theory, fashion, cusine, waiters, cashiers, farming, cultural arts, etc..

That was what my comparison was. If you don't like it, it's not my fault. I'm just putting it out there.
    It is a spambot. He copied one random message from this thread and reposted it. His links are already removed ^^

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

It is a spambot. He copied one random message from this thread and reposted it. His links are already removed ^^
    Wth? That's a smart spam bot :S Wonder what made him pick that specific sentence lol.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Wth? That's a smart spam bot :S
    It happens more often. It is really annoying when they do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just ignore the spambot, he picked a reply of mine.

masterBB, please respond to this, I really appreciated your comment
    I live in Europe, Netherlands. We have a very high rate of employment and in our culture it is accepted to talk about employment. The problem with both courses is that there aren't many jobs utilizing those fields. Especially in economical bad times, it is the first thing companies will cut on. I highly suggest looking in a less social direction. Would it be a out of the question to study something else? What are your interests? What job can you imagine doing yourself later in life? If it really is your calling you can do it, but don't expect to get a great job. Also make sure you are well above average on your scores, when job opportunities are limited that will make or break a career.
    Quote Originally Posted by YesMan View Post
    I really appreciated your point of view since I live in Europe too, but on my case the employment rate of graduates here in Portugal is lower than the one on the Netherlands

I like Psicology (I love series like Lie To Me, Dr. House, Dexter, Lost, C.S.I and I'm currently watching Bones, since it has the Psicology and the Anthopology parts, Anthropology (knowing other cultures, religions and people) since I have a over the top sense of analysis, coldness to analyse different points of view and a good critical spirit, Biology too, I love watching some of those National Geographic documentaries, but I don't see me there, with the animals, either on land or on sea, would be a boring job after a while, I love photography and can go my way around Photoshop
    I love history, facts, different cultures and perspectives, statistics, the meaning of stuff, why we do this, why we pick that, what happens when we do that...etc
    I'm one of those guys that likes to ask "why" and not just memorize stuff for school purpose, it's way better what way

Thread Information