Thread: New a new laptop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Post New a new laptop

So...I'm heading for College and I needed a new laptop (portable, good battery ratio, good RAM and CPU)

The one I have right now is the HP Pavilion dv9500
    System Model: HP Pavilion dv9500 Notebook PC
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    Display Memory: 1011 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 243 MB
    Shared Memory: 767 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    And now I wanted a new laptop for college, with a good ratio of quality/price, portable, with a good RAM, CPU, battery ratio and so on...
    Not much to gaming, but it would be nice if it could handle some

I liked the HP Pavilion dv7, but I can't seem to find the specific model of the image with the specs on the HP website (8GB and 1TB storage)
    http://laptops-reviews-online.com/hp...7t-review.html

and the Acer Aspire S3 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394696,00.asp is kinda nice too, but I prefer the HP one, the Acer is lighter, but way less powerfull, half the performance and smaller, 13.3-inch

Besides this two, or from this two, which laptop should I buy for college and occasional Photoshop work or Gaming?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

I would go for a 15.6" laptop, because it is still portable but you can also get good specs with those. Ultrabooks have no dedicated graphics, only the intel 3000/4000 graphics which won't allow you to game. The processor is usually also some sort of u version of intel which runs under 2 Ghz but gives you a long battery life.

I bought a new laptop a week ago for university next year. After looking through loads of laptops and specs it turned out that a Asus N56vz laptop would be the best choice for me :P

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Multim...ainment/N56VZ/
    i7 3610QM Processor (2,3 Ghz - 3,3 Ghz)
    GT 650m videocard (2 gb)
    8 gb 1600 RAM
    Full HD screen is what I went with for programming and it has been a great choice.

The sound quality is very nice aswell, nearly as good as my desktop speakers which is impressive for a laptop.

Other laptops I went through:
    MSI Ge60
    GIGABYTE P2542G
    Lenovo Y580
    Dell Inspiron 15R SE €900
    Dell Xps 15 2012
    Dell Xps 14 2012
    Asus N56VM

MSI Ge60 has the GDDR5 version of the GT 650m which is definately an impressive graphics card :P I haven't done any gaming on my laptop yet with the GDDR3 version, but that one should be nice for a laptop aswell.

Script source code available here: Github

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J J View Post
    I would go for a 15.6" laptop, because it is still portable but you can also get good specs with those. Ultrabooks have no dedicated graphics, only the intel 3000/4000 graphics which won't allow you to game. The processor is usually also some sort of u version of intel which runs under 2 Ghz but gives you a long battery life.

I bought a new laptop a week ago for university next year. After looking through loads of laptops and specs it turned out that a Asus N56vz laptop would be the best choice for me :P

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Multim...ainment/N56VZ/
    i7 3610QM Processor (2,3 Ghz - 3,3 Ghz)
    GT 650m videocard (2 gb)
    8 gb 1600 RAM
    Full HD screen is what I went with for programming and it has been a great choice.

The sound quality is very nice aswell, nearly as good as my desktop speakers which is impressive for a laptop.

Other laptops I went through:
    MSI Ge60
    GIGABYTE P2542G
    Lenovo Y580
    Dell Inspiron 15R SE €900
    Dell Xps 15 2012
    Dell Xps 14 2012
    Asus N56VM

MSI Ge60 has the GDDR5 version of the GT 650m which is definately an impressive graphics card :P I haven't done any gaming on my laptop yet with the GDDR3 version, but that one should be nice for a laptop aswell.
    hd 4000 integrated graphics (ivy bridge cpu's) out performs a good chunk of dedicated graphics..

ivy bridge + integrated graphics has very good battery life as it takes minimal wattage at max load, compared to older processors & especially dedicated cards
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Thread Information