Thread: Science

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default Science

A lil' help? I'm really bad at science. I don't understand much of this.

1. Define the term “buoyancy force”, use this to explain how ship’s float on water.
    2. Explain what friction is and describe everyday situations where friction acts. Give both beneficial and negative uses.
    3. Describe all ways that friction can overcome and be reduced.
    4. Clearly explain the difference between terms, mass and weight. State the units each.
    5. Describe Sir Isaac Newton’s discoveries that relate to forces. How did his discoveries change scientific thinking?

Thankyou.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Section math topic science? Something is failing here.

"Sometimes User's don't need the Answer spelled out with Code. Sometimes all they need is guidance and explanation of the logic to get where they are going."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ooops, wrong catergoy..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default Science Help?

A lil' help? I'm really bad at science I don't understand much of this.

1. Define the term “buoyancy force”, use this to explain how ship’s float on water.
    2. Explain what friction is and describe everyday situations where friction acts. Give both beneficial and negative uses.
    4. Clearly explain the difference between terms, mass and weight. State the units each.
    5. Describe Sir Isaac Newton’s discoveries that relate to forces. How did his discoveries change scientific thinking?

Thankyou.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)

You can google all of these

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeiJaiVui View Post

Thankyou.
    DeiJaiVui, you are in year 7 or 8. Some of this isn't even a part of your syllabus. Why are you learning it? :S In fact, you'll only need to know friction and buoyancy force if you choose to undertake Engineering Studies in years 11 and 12. In fact, most of this you will learn in year 10 anyway as that is a part of that syllabus

Sounds like homework to be honest. If I am wrong and it is a part of the course, look through your Jacaranda/Heinemann text book, and whatever notes your teachers gave you
    You may contact me with any concerns you have.
    Are you a victim of harassment? Please notify me or any other staff member.

| SRL Community Rules | SRL Live Help & Chat | Setting up Simba | F.A.Q's |

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

There's a difference between knowing and understanding.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)

You don't need a textbook to know what buoyancy and friction are. This can easily be googled and is seriously common knowledge after you're 6 years old.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    You don't need a textbook to know what buoyancy and friction are. This can easily be googled and is seriously common knowledge after you're 6 years old.
    Are you asian?
    There used to be something meaningful here.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)

No.. it doesn't take an engineering degree to know that friction is what stops stuff from rubbing together and buoyancy being the upward force of water. Maybe stuff is taught differently in different areas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

What age are you? I have no idea of the sort of detail to go into but:

The buoyancy force is equal to the weight of water (look up Archimedes)
    Friction is a force between two objects that opposes motion, benefits: breaks negative uses: loss of useful energy in a system in motion
    lubricants
    mass (kg) is the amount of matter in an object, weight (N or kg ms^-2) is the force due to gravity on this object
    F = ma (an object will only change speed when a resultant force acts upon it, this change in speed will be proportional to this resultant force)

I've not completed every question, just given you a start to work from...

I am sorry if any of this is wrong, it is all off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Merged into the Science one

"Sometimes User's don't need the Answer spelled out with Code. Sometimes all they need is guidance and explanation of the logic to get where they are going."

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeiJaiVui View Post

Thankyou.
    To add on to puton's ans:
    1. to be precise, the weight of water displaced. Formula for calculating the upthrust is Vpg, where p (pronounced as 'roll') is the density of water.

2. Can be explained using Newton's 3rd law of motion: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, and these forces acts on mutually opposite bodies.

3. Wheels works too. And of course levitation (rmb those bullet trains in Japan?)

5. Mainly the 3 laws. F=ma is only applicable when rate of change of mass is constant (which is usually the case). According to the 2nd law of motion, force is in fact directly proportional to the rate of change of momentum.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    No.. it doesn't take an engineering degree to know that friction is what stops stuff from rubbing together
    Friction comes from rubbing two things together, it helps stop the two moving objects, but that's not what completely stops it.
    Last edited by Vinyl Scratch; 08-20-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Friction is the force resisting the relative motion of solid surfaces, fluid layers, and material elements sliding against each other. There are several types of friction:

Dry friction resists relative lateral motion of two solid surfaces in contact. Dry friction is subdivided into static friction between non-moving surfaces, and kinetic friction between moving surfaces.
    Fluid friction describes the friction between layers within a viscous fluid that are moving relative to each other.[1][2]
    Lubricated friction is a case of fluid friction where a fluid separates two solid surfaces.[3][4][5]
    Skin friction is a component of drag, the force resisting the motion of a solid body through a fluid.
    Internal friction is the force resisting motion between the elements making up a solid material while it undergoes deformation.[2]

Wikipedia definition ^

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Scratch View Post
    For you, it would. Friction comes from rubbing two things together.
    Lol, just no.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Let me clarify it a little. Friction come from rubbing two surfaces togeather. you know that little bit of resistance? That would be friction.

There you go.

Thread Information