Thread: Vb.net...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default Vb.net...

Vb.net... I've heard some cool things about it, is it worth learning? Would I ever use it?
    Thx Euphemism and Vinyl for the awesome siggy and avatar!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Vb is usually frowned upon by programmers. It has the reputation of being 'for beginners'. Once you learn more language, I'm guessing you'd drop Vb and switch to c#, java or c++.
    My scripts:
    Advanced Barb Agility Course(outdated), MonkeyThieverV0.11, MahoganyTableV0.4(outdated)
    Questions? I bet that for 98% of those, you'll find answer HERE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For begginers eh? Sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the info!
    Thx Euphemism and Vinyl for the awesome siggy and avatar!

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Very easy to catch on, especially if you have some experience here as PascalScript and VB are quite similar. I would strongly suggest switching to C#.net once you understand the basics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I'm learning programming (Haven't really had experience in programming before that.) with java. It isn't to bad of an idea to start with the harder ones (Java / C or something) i was told. The greater learning curve would result in better knowledge overall.
    Activity
    Going asian on University College Ghent.
    No time for anything atm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

This might be a little bit off topic but why wasn`t vb6 or vb.net used instead of pascal for srl scripting? It would have made it soo much easier with the debug facilities build into vb and as stated, vb is easy to understand but so much more powerful than pascal.

Just a thought question I was asking myself when I started here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

well since i dont know if auto rune was created in Pascal script (i dont think so since it sent packets... but idk), when Kaitnieks created SCAR he probably wanted a language that was easy to learn, and even easier to program. If you look at pascal script, its a scripting language, which means its essentially set up to write scripts, so no extra work on the developers part. At the time pascal script provided an easy and quick way to get what he wanted done.
    when simba was created, most of the srl community still used Freddy's continued SCAR program. since over the years we had gotten used to writing in pascal script, wizzup decided to follow suit and make simba compile pascal script scripts. this lead to minimal changes in srl, and was easier to migrate over to the new program.

also, with srl, its super easy to manually debug scripts. (and there is a debug feature in the newest simba)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." - Edsger Dijkstra

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

I started off with VB.Net programming, once I got the basics down and the logic, I switched to C#. VB is great for learning, and for beginners, it's easy to read and understand what's going on. C# is great for learning a strict language.
    Away for awhile, life is keeping me busy. | Want to get my attention in a thread? @Kyle Undefined; me.
    { MSI Phoenix || SRL Stats Sigs || Paste || Scripts || Quotes || Graphics }

When posting a bug, please post debug! Help us, help you!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. || To be the best, you've got to beat the rest. || Logic never changes, just the syntax.
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ, or about a script that is not mine, I will NOT respond.

SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba. We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Thread Information