Thread: Possibly looking to far ahead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Default Possibly looking to far ahead?

Hi everyone,

I won't be active very much (as in able to spam out the forums with my opinion) because I started school again on labor day. But I have seriously called into question my 5 year plan that I made for myself when I started. Before you know my plan you should know that I am a Chemistry Major with a Criminal Justice minor who starting his Sophomore year has 57.00 credits.

My 5 year plan was to graduate in three years (with honors) and to get a job at a famous glass corporation working in one of their labs and then while doing that be preparing to attend Cornell University to get my Juris Doctor or perhaps just a degree in law, but more specifically intellectual law (Samsung v Apple, IKR?!?).

I feel like I am taking to many classes and pushing to hard to graduate and be able to enjoy myself and my gaming and such. My schedule seems rough to me but I want to know what the rest of you think.

My MWF schedule looks like this
    Progress Report:
    9:10- Badmitton (General Degree requirements for PE)
    10:20- Organic Chem
    11:30- Intro to Crim Justice
    1:15- Calculus 1

My Tuesday schedule looks like this
    Progress Report:
    8:15-11:45- Ceramics (General Degree requirement)
    1:40-4:50- Organic Chem Lab

And Finally Thursday looks like this
    Progress Report:
    8:15-11:45- Ceramics
    1:15-4:45- Back to Back Mathlabs for Calculus

Think this is doable while still enjoying myself? I chose badminton because it is something I really enjoy and Ceramics is something that I did in a high school class so those are not going to be bad, but Ceramics expects atleast 6 hours of personal outside of class work which my schedule just does not fit very well

I guess what I am asking is if I should even bother trying to graduate a year early or should I stick to getting the full four years and paying the extra money?

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Are you or your parents paying for it? You are there to get a degree and if you are paying for it, I would do as much as you can. That being said, you don't want to totally burn yourself out either - I'm sure you are a better judge of how much you can handle.

That being said, after my freshman year I only had 1 semester where I took more that 12 hours and my grades went to nearly straight A's the rest of college. PS I also took badminton, I freaking loved learning and playing that game. Although I did feel lame explaining to my friends how badminton really is an intense game and that's why I was soaked in sweat haha who would have thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaman88 View Post
    Are you or your parents paying for it? You are there to get a degree and if you are paying for it, I would do as much as you can. That being said, you don't want to totally burn yourself out either - I'm sure you are a better judge of how much you can handle.

That being said, after my freshman year I only had 1 semester where I took more that 12 hours and my grades went to nearly straight A's the rest of college. PS I also took badminton, I freaking loved learning and playing that game. Although I did feel lame explaining to my friends how badminton really is an intense game and that's why I was soaked in sweat haha who would have thought.
    We use to play badminton in high school. It was everyone's favorite game. They called it aerial darts. idk why they called it that. but we used paddles not tennis rackets it was weird to me at first but eventually i liked the paddles better because you could spike it easier. That game IS very intense, running back an forth the whole game. I love it though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaman88 View Post

My grandfather is paying for it, however that means that indirectly I am paying for it because my grandfathers trust is setup so that upon his death it is split up between his grand children. I think I can do it, and am going to at the very least try to finish this year out with all the credits I have already signed up for. I just think that my personal time is going to be almost nill until I finish which is going to suck, but I guess I can manage.

I'm taking the maximum number of credit hours I can for someone with my GPA (3.5+).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)

I think your schedule is fine, definitely worth it considering that you can graduate one year early.
    Miner & Urn Crafter & 07 Chicken Killer
    SPS BlindWalk Tutorial

Working on: Nothing

teacher in every art, brought the fire that hath proved to mortals a means to mighty ends

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Your schedule isn't too rough, worst comes to worst drop the useless classes that are not needed for your major.

I know it sounds rough but honestly you are paying money to get an education not to have fun, you can do this!

My schedule is somewhat similar to yours (These are all mandatory courses, I don't really have much fluff in my schedule. (Yes even theology is mandatory >.< I go to a Jesuit university.)

mwf
    Calc 9
    English 10
    Java programming 11
    Theo 12
    philosophy 1
    Sociology 2

Tuesday
    Calc disc

Thursday
    Calc quiz
    Java programming 2 hour disc.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R4nd0m View Post
    Your schedule isn't too rough, worst comes to worst drop the useless classes that are not needed for your major.

I know it sounds rough but honestly you are paying money to get an education not to have fun, you can do this!

My schedule is somewhat similar to yours (These are all mandatory courses, I don't really have much fluff in my schedule. (Yes even theology is mandatory >.< I go to a Jesuit university.)

mwf
    Calc 9
    English 10
    Java programming 11
    Theo 12
    philosophy 1
    Sociology 2

Tuesday
    Calc disc

Thursday
    Calc quiz
    Java programming 2 hour disc.
    Now that the first week is over it doesn't seem to bad. Will just take some getting used to I think. Everything I am taking is required whether it be for my major or for general degree requirements so I don't plan on dropping anything. I did find out that Badmitton only goes until Middle of October which is nice and will be me a lot of extra time each week!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Ehm are you talking about 12 hours of attending lectures / labs or something?

I cannot seem to figure that out.

I cannot properly edit this on my phone but i mean, 12 hour on a weekly basis.
    Activity
    Going asian on University College Ghent.
    No time for anything atm.

Thread Information