Thread: Teach a non-American : University - UC - College.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Default Teach a non-American : University - UC - College.

Hey guys, as a lot of people from the U.S. stalk around on SRL, I asked myself... why not ask this question.

Last i saw a video from NigaHiga on youtube, where he made a distinction between University, University College, and College.

I did not know there was an institution in the middle of University and College.

So yeah, what is the difference between these three?

In Belgium (You know, Europe), we have Universiteit and Hogeschool.

That makes only two of them,
    but i saw the actual english name of the place where I'm attending lessons is called "University College Ghent". (Partner of the association University Ghent.)

And what expected ages are you supposed to go to those places?
    Activity
    Going asian on University College Ghent.
    No time for anything atm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Disclaimer: This is only true for the United States, not Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

A University is a tertiary school that grants degrees in various disciplines. They commonly are composed of multiple colleges. For example, the University of Cincinnati (which I attend), has the College of Engineering and Applied Science (of which I am part), the College of Nursing, the College of Law, the College Conservatory of Music, and many other colleges.

A college may be a component of a university or a standalone institution, and they normally offer several related degrees. For example, the University of Cincinnati College of Engineering and Applied Science offers degrees like Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Bachelor of Materials Science, and Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering.

A university college is a term not generally in use in the USA, but it normally refers to a standalone college that is not a part of a university.

The typical ages of American college students are 18 to 21 or 22.
    Last edited by GodFiend; 09-20-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: add ages

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

The main difference is that Hogeschool and Universiteit are mostly the same thing in America, so standards of education highly differ. And they're all overpriced, too.

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    272 Post(s)

Uni's are rapidly increasing in tuition prices for most all uni schools in America/USA.

It's also very bad, as there's little emphasis placed on an education as opposed to a job (ex. you get loads of people there for their degree in order to pursue their dream job, but not as many people at uni's that want to continue learning after their schooling)

College's in America/USA tend to be more fit for high schoolers transitioning through life, ex = get a job fast (if you can actually get one) no matter where it's at (certified status, so to speak)... [whereas doctorate is higher and better, much more common from uni's (if not none colleges)]

At least that's my opinion.

Thread Information