Thread: My Creative Essay 'I Am Not A Monster'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Default My Creative Essay 'I Am Not A Monster'

So I wrote this creative essay in the perspective of Mr. Hyde, from 'Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde', defending himself. Its titled "I Am Not a Monster"

Let me know how I can improve it! (:

I Am Not a Monster

Some people are created to bring good into the world. They use their charming characteristics and outgoingness to aid people all over the world. Whether they make others’ lives easier or simply make it more enjoyable, they were made to enhance the world. That is the kind of person I am. Many people see me as the bad guy. What they don’t realize is that I am actually the better guy. They see me as the monster, but they are sadly mistaken.

I am not a monster. I cannot be. I was only created to help someone else. He is the monster. There is such thing as free will, but I have been created for the full intention of evil. Dr. Jekyll is a selfish man. He believed that if he could create the correct mixture, he could split the good and evil trapped in one body. Little did he know, good and evil belong together. The harmony between the two creates an equilibrium that maintains the normal state of a being. By trying to enhance his own life, he brought terror and harm to many others. So why should I be considered the monster? I did not choose to be this way. He should be the one ridiculed and ostracized. He is the one who created this capsule of evil I am forced to call myself. He is the egotistical monster who thought this experiment would make the world a better place. It’s funny. This experiment didn’t even make his world a better place.

Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein is considered to be a classic monster tale. People see Dr. Frankenstein to be more of a monster than the monster itself. So why am I said to be the monster in this tale? Like Dr. Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll tried to play God. They were both only interested in creating something fantastic for their own selfish reasons. Dr. Frankenstein wanted to have the power to make life and end the everlasting worry of mortality. “I was encouraged to hope my present attempts would at least lay the foundations of future success” (Shelley 36). Jekyll wanted to rid his world of all unbearable things. “If each, I told myself, could be housed in separate identities, life would be relieved of all that was unbearable” (Stevenson 83). Although Jekyll’s wish was more egocentric, they both let their pride take control of the situation.

Dr. Jekyll is the monster. He created me to be the monster for him, to take on the evil of himself. In him doing that, he became the barbarian. After creating me, he used me like a sponge to soak up all of the unhappiness in his life. To say I’m the monster is preposterous. I am just the victim of a monster; Dr. Jekyll. The world has many more people like Dr. Jekyll, calling others monsters to cover their mistakes and to cover their despondency. Many of them create other alter-egos to cover their own monstrous behavior. I may look like a monster tangibly, but I am nothing but a victim. I am not a monster.
    I accept donations juju_king433@yahoo.com is my paypal!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)

I don't know the story but your essay sure has a point. He wasn't a monster because he didn't choose to be a monster. I liked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSnob View Post
    ETA's don't exist in SRL like they did in other communities. Want a faster update? Help out with updating, otherwise just gotta wait it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It was actually written about "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" :P
    I accept donations juju_king433@yahoo.com is my paypal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Nice

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

interesting story also good read would be an A+ if you ask me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

It kept my attention, i like literature like this.
    Offers unique perspectives on the authors view.
    The author in this case, is aware and categorizes him as the monster of the story
    you make a good argument against it.

Kinda shows not all people chose to be monsters some are forced into the roll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I know this is old but I really like this! The third paragraph could use a little more flow into and out of, but overall this is an A in my books.

Thread Information