Thread: Planning on going to College.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Default Planning on going to College.

Hey there SRL Community, im on duty right now so I have some time to post around the forums.

I have been thinking a bunch the past couple of months about going to school. I talked to my parents about it but, they can only give so much knowledge/support. My dad got his degree(s) last year deployed in Bahrain so.. I though if he could do it, why cant I?

My main reason for posting here is because everyone seems to be smart, and correct me if im wrong, most have gone to college.
    I need to know about some online schools that have courses that can transfer to different colleges/universities. That you trust yourself.

I also need some good advice about career options I could take..
    I have always been into computers, when I found these forums I had never taken the time to try any type of scripting. When I did, I enjoyed it alot, but had no time to learn anything.

My problems.. Im not very good at math, I hate writing papers/stories for grades. I have always had a problem learning stuff in a classroom, im a hands-on person, which is why I enjoyed learning a little scripting through Simba. My basic computer knowledge is extremely low, and my scripting knowledge is extremely low, to none.

I know I would enjoy a career in computers. I honestly dont know how to explain to you how much I enjoy learning about how computers work, how to fix them, and how to make a program work for me on the computer.... I just have no clue where to start.

I have tuition services in the military that completely pay for all my classes, and after I get out(if i do) in the next 3 years I have the GI bill to help pay for classes aswell. I just dont want to use all of this free support I have gained through-out my time in service for nothing.

Please help. I will greatly appreciate everything you tell me.
    <3
    ^Made by: DannyRS

Check out my Tutorials: Miscellania Tutorial ~ 1 - 99 Smithing
    Avatar made by: Vinyl Scratch[/CENTER]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)

Sounds like electronics is what you need. Electronics is based on physics mostly, but you don't need to know anything too advanced to get started. It's all about the hands-on experience. I can't suggest you a place to start the education, but this is definitely the field you'd like.
    Miner & Urn Crafter & 07 Chicken Killer
    SPS BlindWalk Tutorial

Working on: Nothing

teacher in every art, brought the fire that hath proved to mortals a means to mighty ends

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Well first off, I applaud anyone who want to go to college. Probably the best life decision you can make. I myself am a Senior at Vanderbilt, for Physics and Engineering Science. Computers would make a great field to study. It seems like they get more important by the day, and anyone who knows anything about computers is very employable.

My friend and roommate is double majoring in Math and Computer Science, and based on what he's told me a CompSci degree is equal parts learning computers and learning to problem solve. I wouldn't worry about not knowing much about computers to start with, because most degree programs won't just throw you into a shark tank and tell you to have fun; they almost always ease you in with introductory classes before getting in to the more theoretical stuff. As long as you do your homework, you'll know exactly what's expected of you.

As for the hands-on learning part... I don't know how this sort of thing works in CompSci, but for the physical sciences (Physics, Chemistry, most brands of engineering, ect) a lot of the lectures come with weekly labs, where we go in for 3 hours to do a weekly experiment that is (loosely) based around the lecture material. They're tedious at times, but great learning aids. I won't lie though, there is a lot of sitting in a classroom taking notes on a professor's lecture.

The amount of electives/writing classes needed will depend entirely on where you go and what you study. Even at Vandy, the writing and elective requirements vary between majors in the same department. I can't offer any solid advice there.

I'm also afraid I don't know much about online courses or transfer credit. I feel like it would be highly situational (I would hope with some leniency toward armed service members), but that's something that will depend on where you look into going.

Good luck, and I hope any of that helped.
    Long ago, the '90s Nicktoons lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the century turned. Only Avatar, the best of the 2000's Nicktoons, could save them. But when the channel needed it most, the show finished. Four years passed and Mike and Bryan created the new Avatar: Legend of Korra. And although the show itself is great, it has a long way to go before it can live up to The Last Airbender. But I believe Korra can save Nickelodeon.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

How about Computer Engineering?
    Build the next best thing. :3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Keep in mind that in order to be considered "smart" or "intelligent", you do not need to pay for a degree from an instutition. Knowledge is relative. I know plenty of people who have spent years in college yet they somehow remain as stupid as ever. On the other hand, some of the most intellectual people I know have never set foot in a College.

But the fact of the matter is that if you want to live a higher quality of life and have a higher paying job, your only choice is formal schooling. All I can tell you is that you should study something that is both relevant to the real world and that you will enjoy. Making life decisions is never an easy process, although, if you are thinking about your future you are already on the right track.

I wish you the best of luck.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Honestly don't say stuff like you are not a good writer or you are bad at math. These things CAN be learned, and will if you put the effort it.

You should try Computer Science (Yes it is a lot of math, but it is also a lot of programming and logic... if you like solving problems then CS is a wonderful field)

I personally am doing Electrical Engineering which again is A LOT of math, but it like Computer Science is the same in terms of logic and I love solving problems so I decided to do it even though math may not be my forte; I am taking tutoring etc. so that I can make math my forte.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R4nd0m View Post
    You should try Computer Science (Yes it is a lot of math, but it is also a lot of programming and logic... if you like solving problems then CS is a wonderful field)
    I think maybe computer/electrical engineering or software engineering would suit him better than computing science. The engineering streams would have more hands on learning opportunities (from my experience).
    STOP PM'ING ME

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Thanks for everyones input.

I see what all of you are saying. About problem solving/electronics and whatnot.. My current job is Communications and Navigations on F18's in the USMC, I do alot of problem solving as it is. Thats why I enjoy this job, I enjoy getting a problem.. and figuring out where the solution is.
    Its all for a good cause too, I can put a jet in the air that could possibly save one of my fellow Marines lives.

I do understand that most of my weak spots can be improved if I put effort into them. When I joined the military I had my eyes set on one spot, and because of that I managed to do extremely well in both A, and C school. Coming in first with grades both time. So I know I can improve, just where to start, and I need a goal.

I have looked into Computer Sience and Computer Engineering a little while back when I first started getting into fixing computer and what not. I just cannot get a perfect idea in my tiny brain of what the differences are of the two. Could anyone in here give a dumbed/advanced version of both? I guess I want something that covers everything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Usmarine View Post
    I have looked into Computer Sience and Computer Engineering a little while back when I first started getting into fixing computer and what not. I just cannot get a perfect idea in my tiny brain of what the differences are of the two. Could anyone in here give a dumbed/advanced version of both? I guess I want something that covers everything.
    CE = Using electrical components to create computer hardware
    CS = Using computers to create programs / solve problems

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
    CE = Using electrical components to create computer hardware
    CS = Using computers to create programs / solve problems
    Ahh I see, I see. I guess CS is where I would be leaning more towards.

Anyone else got anymore input on this?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Ahh I see, I see. I guess CS is where I would be leaning more towards.

Anyone else got anymore input on this?
    I recommend finding some sort of online course to learn the basics of a language and a little about problem solving techniques before you dive into anything major.

Basically, just make sure you love what you do.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
    I recommend finding some sort of online course to learn the basics of a language and a little about problem solving techniques before you dive into anything major.

Basically, just make sure you love what you do.
    I completely understand what you are saying mate. I have always been one of those people to research something a bunch, and try it out many times to see if I would enjoy doing it before taking a major step.

In other words I have another year or so to think about this, and try out many options before making any type of decision. Small or big.

// Any chance you have an idea of a place I could take courses? //

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I completely understand what you are saying mate. I have always been one of those people to research something a bunch, and try it out many times to see if I would enjoy doing it before taking a major step.

In other words I have another year or so to think about this, and try out many options before making any type of decision. Small or big.

// Any chance you have an idea of a place I could take courses? //
    Just Google it for online courses. Wherever you are, there should be an institution that offers an online course. But my opinion is that you should actually go to college. It's an experience that will give you multiple advantages:

1. Being surrounded by people who are also trying to find out what they are good at/like.
    2. Opportunities to be exposed to diverse things. I think it's more important for you to experience a lot of different things before making up your mind that you are going to do one thing.
    3. Support and structure. You won't find any of this in an online setting.
    4. More opportunities for learning/skill development/accreditation/employment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Try to look for colleges that offer online classes. I know that my old college offered some that would be completed entirely online, including homework, "lectures", etc... If anything can you not ask your fellow marines or even some higher-ups about your educational endeavors? Perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

http://www.udacity.com

Started by an ex-stanford prof. Completely free. Unfortunately it does not give you any actual university credits (As of yet) but it will give you a taste of what sort of content a CompSci course may contain
    STOP PM'ING ME

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

Started by an ex-stanford prof. Completely free. Unfortunately it does not give you any actual university credits (As of yet) but it will give you a taste of what sort of content a CompSci course may contain
    AH this is what I was trying to post here, I couldn't find it! My teacher had me do a few courses from here for my comp sci AP class in high school. I recommend it, it goes a bit fast but just try to keep up.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

Quote Originally Posted by R4nd0m View Post
    AH this is what I was trying to post here, I couldn't find it! My teacher had me do a few courses from here for my comp sci AP class in high school. I recommend it, it goes a bit fast but just try to keep up.
    Hmm, I see. Going to take a look into this. Thanks for everyone with helping! Will let you all know what happens with my decision. I love this community. So helpful.

<3

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    272 Post(s)

Browsing, extensively, the language tutorials/guides from host (IDE) sites helped me get the ball rolling. For example, before you wanted to take a CS class, you study the oracle tutorials, or study the cplusplus tutorials, etc. These tutorials are also pretty relative to first year uni students' material (afaik), granted colleges that offer CS programs may or may not coincide.

Cheers,
    Lj

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

If you want to go into computing, definitely take the engineering route if you are looking for more hands on (as has been stated).

Would you consider something like this?
    Wood Product Processing BoSc
    I'm in year 2 of it currently, it's an engineering cross science degree, we do physics, maths, a little tree biology (not much woot) and some programming. Highest paid job after 5 years of all the engineering/science degrees (not that it matters, but nice, the average was 85k/year after 5 years and you get put in management if not immediately, very quickly)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cause View Post
    If you want to go into computing, definitely take the engineering route if you are looking for more hands on (as has been stated).

Would you consider something like this?
    Wood Product Processing BoSc
    I'm in year 2 of it currently, it's an engineering cross science degree, we do physics, maths, a little tree biology (not much woot) and some programming. Highest paid job after 5 years of all the engineering/science degrees (not that it matters, but nice, the average was 85k/year after 5 years and you get put in management if not immediately, very quickly)
    Im not going to lie, that looks pretty cool!

Thread Information