Thread: Web hosting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Default Web hosting

I've never created a website before so this is something new to me. My plan is to open up a website where depressed teenagers can post their stories and connect with other teenagers struggling in the world, with whatever it might be: bullying, sexual abuse, etc. I've heard about too many kids ending their own lives because no one has been there for them and I think if they have a place to connect with other teenagers struggling too, it can create friendships and turn around their lives before its too late.

The money will be coming out of my own pocket and no ads will be present on the website, so I don't want top-notch hosting, but I don't want shitty hosting either.

I've heard good things about hostgator but I want to hear it from you guys. Whats your guy's opinions?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Hostgators support is terrible, so unless you know what your doing don't go for Host Gator

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

000webhost offers free hosting, not the fastest but free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I don't need cheap as dirt hosting (I'm assuming the reason its free is because it sucks).. I went for hostgator for this month and if I don't like it I'll try out any other suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cause View Post
    000webhost offers free hosting, not the fastest but free.
    does it support HTML code or is it a "Build from a template" host?
    Have you felt the whale lately?
    .__________.
    Whale so hard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xtrapsp View Post
    Hostgators support is terrible, so unless you know what your doing don't go for Host Gator
    How is their support terrible??? That's what they're known for, good support. I've used them for over 5 years and have received excellent support. I even changed to a cloud server once and they offered me 50% off 6 months to stay. When I came back because I didn't like the cloud server they still gave me the 50% off.

If you're looking for some cheap reliable hosting that has good support, Go with Hostgator. Promise you won't be disappointed. Just look around the web for a coupon first.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mjordan View Post
    How is their support terrible??? That's what they're known for, good support. I've used them for over 5 years and have received excellent support. I even changed to a cloud server once and they offered me 50% off 6 months to stay. When I came back because I didn't like the cloud server they still gave me the 50% off.

If you're looking for some cheap reliable hosting that has good support, Go with Hostgator. Promise you won't be disappointed. Just look around the web for a coupon first.
    Been with them on and off and looking back at it alot of their tech support Doesn't understand what you ask them. For example, I was sent a email saying I couldn't change the php.ini file because of file uploads... when I contacted them they said they didn't know what this was.

A few months down the line they asked me to change it... then I got another email penalizing me.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xtrapsp View Post
    Been with them on and off and looking back at it alot of their tech support Doesn't understand what you ask them. For example, I was sent a email saying I couldn't change the php.ini file because of file uploads... when I contacted them they said they didn't know what this was.

A few months down the line they asked me to change it... then I got another email penalizing me.
    Sounds like you knew more about their job then they did lol

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Hostgator is horrid. Go with 000webhost for no support, pretty reliable free hosting.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ___ View Post
    does it support HTML code or is it a "Build from a template" host?
    Yes it supports HTML code, but honestly EVERY time I have used 000webhost it dies for like 5 minutes every couple hours (This is pretty annoying over time)

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

One thing also, if you use pirated Wordpress themes they will disable your account with 0 notice and 0 ability to get it back.
    EDIT: not that I know <.< >.>

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

I can host your website for you, for free. Just ask Coh3n and YoHoJo how awesome I am. If you're going to be active and really promote the site and make a change in peoples lives, I have no problem hosting this for you to help out
    Away for awhile, life is keeping me busy. | Want to get my attention in a thread? @Kyle Undefined; me.
    { MSI Phoenix || SRL Stats Sigs || Paste || Scripts || Quotes || Graphics }

When posting a bug, please post debug! Help us, help you!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. || To be the best, you've got to beat the rest. || Logic never changes, just the syntax.
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ, or about a script that is not mine, I will NOT respond.

SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba. We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R4nd0m View Post
    Yes it supports HTML code, but honestly EVERY time I have used 000webhost it dies for like 5 minutes every couple hours (This is pretty annoying over time)
    I have no idea where to change the website...
    Have you felt the whale lately?
    .__________.
    Whale so hard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Undefined View Post
    I can host your website for you, for free. Just ask Coh3n and YoHoJo how awesome I am. If you're going to be active and really promote the site and make a change in peoples lives, I have no problem hosting this for you to help out
    Well its going to be in my free time since I work 8-12 hours a day and joining the USMC sometime soon so it won't be a full time thing obviously. Right now I'm still thinking about how I want to design it, I have a few ideas but like I said, I don't have much time during the week to do much so it could take a while to design the website (I'm not a very creative/artistic person either so that slows down the process )

At this point, I just want to see where it goes. I'm using hostgator right now and I don't mind paying the monthly payment since its pretty cheap as of right now. (I can't see needing better hosting for a while)

Thread Information