Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 year after the lawsuit...

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Default 1 year after the lawsuit...

It's almost been 1 year since the Snellman Brothers, owners and creators of Impulse Software, was successfully sued and shut down by Jagex Ltd.
    They had to pay fees that were up to about $ 1,000,000 (1 million USdollars), hand over the information of bot users, developers, and all domains.

I was surprised that Jagex literally milked the two brothers for the smallest things. They began their claim with the court that the two brothers had "infringed skill icons such as crafting, mining, smithing, fishing, and other activities". Jagex brought up skill icons... to add into the rest of things they were suing the Snellman's for.. I thought that was kinda low..

I've wondered how that massive fine was paid.
    Along with giving the payments from bot purchases over to jagex, I'm certain that the Snellman's had to sell their property and most likely move to a different location, or something along those lines.

More importantly, I guess we can say that the money that Jagex received, was used in a way which was not considered a "good way" to spend that money from the Snellman Brothers.

I was curious to see if the only known address of the Snellman Bro's was still being used, or if the house was even there.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/78898058/J...t-for-Judgment
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/78898058/J...t-for-Judgment
    So what do you think of what the life is like for the Snellman Brothers now?
    What do you think Jagex used the money on?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

thats crazy... i feel bad for the dudes.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

Well Jagex isnt using that money well because we have heard about their employees.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Another example of why i have 0 respect for jagex these days

Programming is like trying keep a wall of shifting sand up, you fix one thing but somewhere else starts crumbling

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by idodew View Post
    thats crazy... i feel bad for the dudes.
    They were breaking the law, and massively degrading the game as a whole, which is probably one of the main reasons microtransactions came into the game.

Without causing too much offence, but the most negative comments about the game seem to come from communities who make their way not actually playing the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

this is exactly why i never keep a dime in my bank account, if i was to get some sort of legal action against me they could freeze my accounts. but if i have a crap load of cash seize it if you can find me

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They were breaking the law, and massively degrading the game as a whole, which is probably one of the main reasons microtransactions came into the game.

Without causing too much offence, but the most negative comments about the game seem to come from communities who make their way not actually playing the game.
    But a million dollars? I think thats going overboard, although Im not sure how much they had in sales.
    They also went in detail about how the skill icons were infringed by impsoft.

Lets say they received the full payment of more than a million dollars by now.
    Would you think people would like the game back how it was before the lawsuit or how it is now? That would be debatable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I didn't exactly love the guys, didn't want them to go down either. I think jagex could've used the money for something more productive, like setting up a new branch for higher analysis of the game on a statistical level.

~Rez

For the basics of the basics of pascal, try my TuT. ||Photoshop Editing ||MapleResourceDung Script || Book a flight! BuySellTrip

Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

Jagex didn't actually tell the us the fee, they just said 5 digits.. think if it was actually 900k they would tell us, it was more like 100-200k tbh.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ollybest View Post
    Jagex didn't actually tell the us the fee, they just said 5 digits.. think if it was actually 900k they would tell us, it was more like 100-200k tbh.
    The court documents clearly state that Snellman brothers are required to pay 1 million dollars, before december 31st 2012.

Its on page 6 of this http://www.scribd.com/doc/78898058/J...t-for-Judgment
    Defendants shall be liable toJagex for payment of liquidated damages in the amount of $1,000,000 (U.S.). Such liquidated damages are intended to represent estimated actual damages, attorneys’ fees, andcosts, and are not intended as a penalty, and Defendants shall pay them to Jagex.
    More information about their house
    Defendants’ Second Payment to Jagex shall be secured by a lien onDefendants’ home located at 3012 Bellwind Circle, Rockledge, Florida 32955. The lienshall be for 200% of the amount of the Second Payment in order to cover any attorneys’ feesor costs incurred by Jagex in the event that it needs to execute on the lien due to non- payment by Defendants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)

I heard the problem about Jagex is their senior management is completely disconnected from the lower tiers and don't know a thing about running a business.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

My logic says this: their bots had an effect on the game therefore the effected the legit players of the game. So in my opinion, the money Jagex won from these guys should be used for a good cause that gives back to the players, no?

When actually, in the end, the players who had to put up with the swarms of bots receive a single "Apology Letter" from the Snellman brothers. At the very least, even just part of that money could have been used for true anti-bot software in Runescape, but all we've seen so far is a tighter obfuscated client, a few banned RWT'ers, and the ever-so-useless Bottany Bay.. Bots remain and the detection system has only degraded since then, especially with the removal of random events. Also, SoF and Soloman's Shop are now priority #1.

On a different note is it just me or...

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Nice find Flight . And yeah, 1m could have gone a long way to stopping bots.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    On a different note is it just me or...

But the fountain has been there for years. I think its just a coincidence... but i could be wrong.

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

Lmao nice find Flight!

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

flight your such a sneaky devious person :O

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

hahahahaha flight nice.
    IMO these brothers got what was coming to them, crime doesn't[shouldn't] pay. (ish)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

obviously that's the new Research and Development center of Jagex.. hence the somewhat lacking SOF updates etc

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cause View Post
    hahahahaha flight nice.
    IMO these brothers got what was coming to them, crime doesn't[shouldn't] pay. (ish)
    Depends what you consider to be crime, i have no idea how reflection worked because i never looked into it, but i think that the punishment was far to hardh for any copying of code that occured,

They made a client to click places on screen, you can do this on literaly any PC using windows in a few min, and they get such a fine?

Fair enough jagex think they ruin their game, but shut them down, dont ruin their lives too, If you make a game that requires this much grinding, and entirely click base it, guess what is going to happen..., people have been using autoclickers and such ever since the game was released, and will be doing it long after jagex dies,

Making an example of two people (or i suppose they tried to keep it secret with gag orders and such so they were just after the money?) is just silly imo

Programming is like trying keep a wall of shifting sand up, you fix one thing but somewhere else starts crumbling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Random question... But what was it that these guys actually developed? I'm assuming it was one of the injection/reflection bots that went down back in the days. But which one was it?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P1ng View Post
    Random question... But what was it that these guys actually developed? I'm assuming it was one of the injection/reflection bots that went down back in the days. But which one was it?
    Nexus/iBot which was one of the (arguably) biggest/best/widely used bots.
    They also make a ton of money but selling auth codes for their scripts, and requiring additional auths to run additional instances.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Yohojo basically covered it all. They were creators of Impsoft, Impulse Software, which created the nexus client. They hired developers to create a script for every skill and mini game in rs.

All bots were premium, the free ones were bugged and useless.
    They ran access to the script by using authentication codes. Each code cost around anywhere from $15 to $30, for just one instance (1 account).

These were amazing bots, able to run past 2 weeks of botting straight if there was a game update which wouldn't break the bot to be reviewed and fixed.

Some developers for Impsoft moved to script for powerbot.
    The cost of the bot was expensive one can say, but it was for sure worth it.

There also was legitresellers of those auths, such as RSBots.net and so forth.
    They also had a huge player base

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Personally, I doubt 1m made that much of a dent into their profits, and if Jagex take into account the potential loss of revenue from legitimate players, it probably isn't too ridiculous.

Also, remember how much they lost from Stellar Dawn, I expect they're still recovering from that.

I know Jagex could be doing more to stop the bots, but the root of the problem is still in these large bot communities, the ones who fuel gold farming. Although if you go to previously very high botted areas, like sorceress's garden, there is not a bot in sight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakee View Post
    The court documents clearly state that Snellman brothers are required to pay 1 million dollars, before december 31st 2012.

Its on page 6 of this http://www.scribd.com/doc/78898058/J...t-for-Judgment
    Re-read the document carefully. Based on my knowledge through my connections, I think you guys are tossing around significantly higher numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by cause View Post
    hahahahaha flight nice.
    They still got an education off it. I daresay, for them, it did pay.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

To be perfectly honest I think they made more than 1 million USD with their scripts and client.

If they had a user base of like 200k people, each script averaging around $15..lets say each person bought two scripts.

6 million dollars, 4 million for script developers/taxes/random expenses... The rest should go to them.

My logic is probably very flawed but, meh.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information