Thread: [Guide]Install Runescape Client on Linux

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Default [Guide]Install Runescape Client on Linux

Ok, this section of the forums seems kind of dead and I want to make something of a contribution to these forums somehow so here is my guide on installing the Runescape client on Ubuntu (a Linux distro). Since Jagex doesn't feel like making their client available for Linux, this is a decent alternative for Ubuntu users who don't like playing Runescape on their browsers and prefer using a dedicated client. Also, yes I know that this guide exists already online but Id like to bring it to attention of people who are unaware of this.
    Source: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/07/how-t...inux-game.html
    Step 1

Open the Terminal (Very simple, no explanation needed me think).
    Step 2

Use the following commands in order:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:hikariknight/unix-runescape-client
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install unix-runescape-client

This is really easy and you shouldn't run into any problems.
    Step 3

After the installation completes, run RuneScape from the menu / Dash. The first time you run the RuneScape launcher, a terminal window will be displayed which lets you select the official (.jar) client you want to use and once the download finishes, you can launch RuneScape.
    Step 4

Enjoy!

My personal experience with this client
    The client itself does the job of running Runescape albeit with some caveats (Most of which are also present in the Linux browser Runescape). I'll summarize them into three main issues I have with this client.
    1)Low fps rates when in medium/high resolutions. This is more of a software/drivers thing for Linux as I am running an i7-3610QM laptop with GeForce GT 650M + 8 GB RAM. Runescape works fine in low/ minimum graphics mode. This is obviously bad but I guess some people could overlook this.
    2)Cursors are messed up. This may be my own driver issue so results may vary.
    3)No anti-aliasing as far as I am concerned.

And that is it for my first ever guide here on this forum. Feel free to leave comments, questions, e.t.c.
    Last edited by Ubuntu; 12-10-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Looks like a well laid out guide, nice step by step approach, never used anything but windows so i cant comment on any methods

Thanks for taking the time to write it and sharing !

I'm sure there are lots of people out there using Ubuntu that this will help out
    Last edited by DannyRS; 12-10-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Programming is like trying keep a wall of shifting sand up, you fix one thing but somewhere else starts crumbling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DannyRS View Post
    Looks like a well laid out guide, nice step by step approach, never used anything but windows so i cant comment on any methods

Thanks for taking the time to write it and sharing !

I'm sure there are lots of people out there using Ubuntu that this will help out
    Thanks . It is sort of rushed because I need some shut eye. Might Enid it a bit tommorow. Despite my username I use windows too ( mainly for gaming). I do most of my othe stuff on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Ubuntu; 12-10-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

This is very nice, I think I saw this somewhere else, and could never remember lol. Very helpful for those without the basic Windows (which is the best...just saying )
    ~Rez

For the basics of the basics of pascal, try my TuT. ||Photoshop Editing ||MapleResourceDung Script || Book a flight! BuySellTrip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)

This can also be found on the wiki on the RS website. Hikariknight is the guy behind it all.
    Miner & Urn Crafter & 07 Chicken Killer
    SPS BlindWalk Tutorial

Working on: Nothing

teacher in every art, brought the fire that hath proved to mortals a means to mighty ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by litoris View Post
    This can also be found on the wiki on the RS website. Hikariknight is the guy behind it all.
    Didn't know about the RS website but yeah. Its a nice client but with a few performance issues (cuz of Linux).

Thread Information