6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

Lightbulb Installing Linux on Windows without Disc/USB

This is easily done by installing the following program:

VirtualCloneDrive @ http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

Further instructions on how this is used throughout the installation:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20079...er-or-netbook/

For me, this worked flawlessly when installing Linux Mint Cinnamon 13 on a Windows7 OS for dual-boot. It is very convenient since it saves you the hassle of burning everything to a disc and booting Linux from disc/USB when trying to install it for the first time. Also, it's free.

Well, since this is my first experience with Linux I'm excited how it will all work out and how Dual-Booting my WinLin will turn out. Will I end up being converted to GNU/Linux?
    My Windows days are long gone by now ever since I started using an old Mac provided by my employer a few months ago so its more of a question of GNU/Linux vs MacOSX. Hmmm...
    Anyways, I really recommend using this when starting on Linux since it makes the installation process less of a hassle. Used it to install Linux Mint Cinnamon Maya(=Version 13...all the versions from Mint are girls names).

That concludes it. Please feel free to leave a post on any advice on new Linux users like myself or if you found this software useful/not useful.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Can I just ask why you use Dual-boot and not make a permanent virtual desktop which can be moved about?

This is personally how I do it :P

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xtrapsp View Post
    Can I just ask why you use Dual-boot and not make a permanent virtual desktop which can be moved about?

Same, although i run VM software on windows to run more windows because linux is for noobs and servers,

jk

Programming is like trying keep a wall of shifting sand up, you fix one thing but somewhere else starts crumbling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xtrapsp View Post

Running Linux in the background of windows will use your CPU resources, lagging your computer. While it will still take up HDD space, it will not be using resources while logged into Windows. You may choose to use Linus or Windows upon prompt in the boot stage, allowing you to use either without the lag of a VM.
    Have you felt the whale lately?
    .__________.
    Whale so hard.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

I have never thought of using this method as originally Linux distros never came with windows supported installers. Ubuntu also has a windows installer that doesnt need to create a virtual cd drive ( http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer ). Ive used it before, but with no luck on 10.x or something and windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by ___ View Post
    Running Linux in the background of windows will use your CPU resources, lagging your computer. While it will still take up HDD space, it will not be using resources while logged into Windows. You may choose to use Linus or Windows upon prompt in the boot stage, allowing you to use either without the lag of a VM.
    Unless your computer is super old or you allocate all your resources to the VM, there is little lag on both the host and VM. Most modern processors also have special instructions for Virtual Machines in hopes of making them more responsive. The advantages of using a VM include but are not limited to, No worries about accidentally destroying your windows installation, ability to use both at the same time, and ease of access. A hard install really would only be used for people who plan to use Linux a lot of the time or for something that may need direct component access (gpu stuff for ex). If using VMPlayer, theres even 'unity' which allows you to take all your VM windows and turn them into individual windows on windows. Its pretty neat.

Thread Information