Thread: [Linux] Installing OpenVZ on Ubuntu 12.04

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Default [Linux] Installing OpenVZ on Ubuntu 12.04

kk so.. here it goes.

I tried installing OpenVZ, but to no avail.

Completely clueless. Says my kernel doesn't support OpenVZ.

Can I upgrade/change my kernel to do that?

And any guides on how to install on Ubuntu 12.04?
    Thanks guys. <3

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

First, I must say that if you want to make VPS to run Runescape, I suggest you to go with Xen virtualization as java is more stable on it and you can face multiple issues with OpenVZ, like each runescape client taking a huge amount of RAM (most being unused, but still allocated). Going around these issues could be a huge pain.

As for your actual question, I do not have the answer as Ubuntu 12.04 is rarely used as the master for OpenVZ. Is there any reason you really want to stick to Ubuntu or you wouldn't mind switching to CentOS?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    First, I must say that if you want to make VPS to run Runescape, I suggest you to go with Xen virtualization as java is more stable on it and you can face multiple issues with OpenVZ, like each runescape client taking a huge amount of RAM (most being unused, but still allocated). Going around these issues could be a huge pain.

As for your actual question, I do not have the actual answer as Ubuntu 12.04 is rarely used as the master for OpenVZ. Is there any reason you really want to stick to Ubuntu or you wouldn't mind switching to CentOS?
    Have a PC at home with Ubuntu on it.
    All there is to it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

I feel lame suggesting something that isn't what you're asking for in your first post, but you might want to go with Xen Server if you don't find your answer soon or if you're interested in the capabilities of Xen over OpenVZ.

You can find a thorough tutorial here:

http://www.petri.co.il/install-xenserver-6.htm

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

I feel lame suggesting something that isn't what you're asking for in your first post, but you might want to go with Xen Server if you don't find your answer soon or if you're interested in the capabilities of Xen over OpenVZ.

You can find a thorough tutorial here:

http://www.petri.co.il/install-xenserver-6.htm
    Do you need a certain CPU to use Xen?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NKN View Post
    no, However preformance is slighty worse but gauntees ram (not like openvz which can be oversold)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

No. However, it is worthy of mention that you need a windows OS to run the Xen Center. That being said, I suppose Wine would let you open it anyway if all you have is linux.

Quote Originally Posted by The Killer View Post
    no, However preformance is slighty worse but gauntees ram (not like openvz which can be oversold)
    I feel the need to explain the main differences between OpenVZ and Xen as there seems to be a slight misunderstanding. I'd say that the main difference is the memory management of the virtualization tool.

On Xen, each VPS has their own kernel. That takes a tiny bit extra ram, making OpenVZ a prime choice for tiny VPSes. However, considering the following, this benefits is of no importance when it comes to botting. First, VPS used for runescape need, at the very least, a decent amount of ram to start, which means that the above-mentioned benefit is negligible. Furthermore, OpenVZ allocates more memory than needed for a program, leading to a lot of unused yet unusable ram. This problem is much (MUCH) worse when it comes to java. Of course, there are ways to go around it and mitigates the issue, but it remains a plague when dealing with this technology.

Another reason why OpenVZ is often mentioned as giving a better performance while its counterpart shines when it comes to stability is the way the two virtualization technologies reacts when being "overloaded". As you might know, OpenVZ has the option to allow burstable ram. Basically, it lets the VPS use unused ram from the server. However, when no ram is available, programs start being shutdown. Basically, the performance stays at the same level....but with a slight after effect. As for Xen, swap ram is usually offered. I certainly DO NOT recommend tapping into swap ram while botting as it decreases the overall performance of the VPS by a large margin. However, no program ends up crashing under normal circumstances. That's why the dichotomy of performance vs stability is often put forward. That being said, it seems fairly obvious to me that none of this actually apply if you're running your own server.

As for the comment about overselling, while it is technically true due to limitations to Xen Server, there are crafty ways to oversell ram on this technology too. From what I've seen so far in the business, this is still rarely used, but I'm still letting you all know so you don't automatically rule this out as a possibility if you end up with a Xen VPS that has a lot of already used ram.

All in all, when it comes to botting, the advantages of OpenVZ over Xen are of no interest.

Disclaimer: There is a bit of oversimplification in this post. It is only meant to give a gross idea of the differences without getting too uselessly technical.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

No. However, it is worthy of mention that you need a windows OS to run the Xen Center. That being said, I suppose Wine would let you open it anyway if all you have is linux.

I feel the need to explain the main differences between OpenVZ and Xen as there seems to be a slight misunderstanding. I'd say that the main difference is the memory management of the virtualization tool.

On Xen, each VPS has their own kernel. That takes a tiny bit extra ram, making OpenVZ a prime choice for tiny VPSes. However, considering the following, this benefits is of no importance when it comes to botting. First, VPS used for runescape need, at the very least, a decent amount of ram to start, which means that the above-mentioned benefit is negligible. Furthermore, OpenVZ allocates more memory than needed for a program, leading to a lot of unused yet unusable ram. This problem is much (MUCH) worse when it comes to java. Of course, there are ways to go around it and mitigates the issue, but it remains a plague when dealing with this technology.

Another reason why OpenVZ is often mentioned as giving a better performance while its counterpart shines when it comes to stability is the way the two virtualization technologies reacts when being "overloaded". As you might know, OpenVZ has the option to allow burstable ram. Basically, it lets the VPS use unused ram from the server. However, when no ram is available, programs start being shutdown. Basically, the performance stays at the same level....but with a slight after effect. As for Xen, swap ram is usually offered. I certainly DO NOT recommend tapping into swap ram while botting as it decreases the overall performance of the VPS by a large margin. However, no program ends up crashing under normal circumstances. That's why the dichotomy of performance vs stability is often put forward. That being said, it seems fairly obvious to me that none of this actually apply if you're running your own server.

As for the comment about overselling, while it is technically true due to limitations to Xen Server, there are crafty ways to oversell ram on this technology too. From what I've seen so far in the business, this is still rarely used, but I'm still letting you all know so you don't automatically rule this out as a possibility if you end up with a Xen VPS that has a lot of already used ram.

All in all, when it comes to botting, the advantages of OpenVZ over Xen are of no interest.

Disclaimer: There is a bit of oversimplification in this post. It is only meant to give a gross idea of the differences without getting too uselessly technical.
    Wait... so can I do burstable RAM with Xen? e.e

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Wait... so can I do burstable RAM with Xen? e.e
    Well, it isn't really burstable ram as that's the dedicated term for OpenVZ. Swap and burst ram are also designed differently and have divergent pros and cons. I really don't recommend using swap ram for your Xen VPS as they're a double edged tool. You get a huge loss of performance when starting to tap a lot into swap ram (and the extra bots you can load aren't worth it). Also, if you're running your vps for yourself, just fully use the individual VPSes.

For the more technical aspect of it, I suggest you a quick read:
    http://wdtalk.com/archives/4597

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

I guess I'm going with Xen now. :3

Edit: I lied, it's not free.
    Last edited by NKN; 12-29-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Thread Information