Thread: Net Ionic equations

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)

Default Net Ionic equations

Is anybody good at net ionic equations? I seem to be struggling with them, I get the basic concept, a stripped down equation where only the ions who's charge changes is left. I've googled them and failed to find a guide with step by step instructions on how to do them examples ect, so anybody know them? :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Could you give me a model on how do those equations look a like ( a pic or a paint sketch would be perfect )? Cause I can't find the exact translation into my language. I would be able to sort you out a guide onto those if they fall under bachelor's math course program.
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2iibhwm.jpg
    This drawing got "stollen" idk i might retrieve it but i'm not sure.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Net ionic equations: break the equation into its element parts, then check for state changes / electrons transfers, else strip the other elements not affected and reform the equation

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Could you give me a model on how do those equations look a like ( a pic or a paint sketch would be perfect )? Cause I can't find the exact translation into my language. I would be able to sort you out a guide onto those if they fall under bachelor's math course program.
    It is where you write a chemical equation with only the ions/substances that change in charge, IE Sn+2->Sn+1 Would be included in the over all equation, however H->H would not be due to it not changing.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enslaved View Post
    Net ionic equations: break the equation into its element parts, then check for state changes / electrons transfers, else strip the other elements not affected and reform the equation
    My only issue really is reaction patterns, how do I know which ones to use ect? They give us word problems, Ex) An acidified solution of potassium Dichromate is added to a solution of iron II sulfate.

How would I go about doing this?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

ok, first balance the equation (check for oxidation numbers), then split each part of the formula up into sperate ions. copy the state symbol from the original equation,

compare both sides of the equation, if an ion stays the same ie they have the same state as before, and also check that it it has not undergone reduction/oxidisation (check the charge), that means it is a spectator ion and can be removed from the equation

Thread Information