Thread: LCD or LED-Lit Desktop monitors?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Default LCD or LED-Lit Desktop monitors?

What is the difference and which one is better?

Simple question really.. Could of googled it but I wanted the SRL input.

Edit: Also, which brand do you perfer?
    Asus, Dell, Acer, ect..
    ^Made by: DannyRS

Check out my Tutorials: Miscellania Tutorial ~ 1 - 99 Smithing
    Avatar made by: Vinyl Scratch[/CENTER]

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

LCD and LED are the same thing just different back lighting they still suffer from all the draw backs of a LCD for gaming and fast motion

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0090554AAJ7V41

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

This is what i have,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005XZBMTU

Personally i think refresh rate, colors and such are more important than backlighting, either can be really good, you should look up the difference between a IPS and TN panel, because they both have drawbacks,

Are you a gamer or a graphics/video developer for example?

Programming is like trying keep a wall of shifting sand up, you fix one thing but somewhere else starts crumbling

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyt3x View Post
    LCD and LED are the same thing just different back lighting they still suffer from all the draw backs of a LCD for gaming and fast motion

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0090554AAJ7V41
    Seems like Plasma is the way to go for gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyRS View Post
    This is what i have,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005XZBMTU

Personally i think refresh rate, colors and such are more important than backlighting, either can be really good, you should look up the difference between a IPS and TN panel, because they both have drawbacks,

Are you a gamer or a graphics/video developer for example?
    Interesting, interesting. I am mainly a gamer. Always played on laptops, never a desktop.. Thinking about buying one, just need to figure out what type of monitor to buy.
    Last edited by US Marine; 01-04-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by US Marine View Post
    Interesting, interesting. I am mainly a gamer. Always played on laptops, never a desktop.. Thinking about buying one, just need to figure out what type of monitor to buy.
    If you can afford it, a true 120Hz TN panel is what i would prefer (gives you twice the FPS to your eyes) but you lose some color quality, and you cant view much at angles, TN normally has much faster latency aswell

IPS gives more color quality and has all viewing angles but is limited currently to 60Hz, and has slower response rates,

Also you need to consider Matt/Glossy finish, i cant stand glossy and prefer matt screens
    Last edited by DannyRS; 01-04-2013 at 05:14 AM.

Programming is like trying keep a wall of shifting sand up, you fix one thing but somewhere else starts crumbling

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

If you can afford it, a true 120Hz TN panel is what i would prefer (gives you twice the FPS to your eyes) but you lose some color quality, and you cant view much at angles

IPS gives more color quality and has all viewing angles but is limited currently to 60Hz,

Also you need to consider Matt/Glossy finish, i cant stand glossy and prefer matt screens
    I looked it up and if I am correct TN panel is a more researched and improved type of LCD?

IPS is the same, just a limit because of the color?

What do you think about Plasma?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

I looked it up and if I am correct TN panel is a more researched and improved type of LCD?

IPS is the same, just a limit because of the color?

What do you think about Plasma?
    Plasma is awful and old technology for large TV's, everythings bad about them, screen burn, slow refresh, bad colors, clarity and sharpness completely lost, list is endless,

TN is considered a gamer choice, but IPS is the newer technology i believe but IPS is not designed for gaming, its for the average consumer, TNs are optimized for all the qualities a gamer is looking for

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Plasma is awful and old technology for large TV's, everythings bad about them, screen burn, slow refresh, bad colors, clarity and sharpness completely lost, list is endless,

TN is considered a gamer choice, but IPS is the newer technology i believe but IPS is not designed for gaming, its for the average consumer, TNs are optimized for all the qualities a gamer is looking for
    Very nice.. The yahoo article I read made plasma seem like the best.. in a way.

I have never heard of TN panel monitors, probably because I never have owned a desktop. Thanks for the help, now I have something to look into.

How much does a usual 24 inch TN monitor run for, and how do you know its TN? Are they marked as such?

Anyone else have some input?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Very nice.. The yahoo article I read made plasma seem like the best.. in a way.

I have never heard of TN panel monitors, probably because I never have owned a desktop. Thanks for the help, now I have something to look into.

How much does a usual 24 inch TN monitor run for, and how do you know its TN? Are they marked as such?
    It should be listed under the specifications, if its not there, goto the official manufacturers site and their specs should list it, the view angles are a dead give away too, (Have you seen a monitor that is really bright if you look down on it from above, or really dark when you look up at it from below? Thats most likely a TN)

Price, god knows, all desktop monitors are quite expensive, but theres probably equaly matched IPS and TN for all price points, but if you want 120Hz it will cost you a premium probably ($500+)

I doubt its going to be an issue because pretty much every monitor these days is, but you want to make sure what you get is 1920x1080 resolution 1080p HD

You really need to read reviews and things tho, its all personal preference, what you want is important , preferably goto a local shop and actually view something
    Last edited by DannyRS; 01-04-2013 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

It should be listed under the specifications, if its not there, goto the official manufacturers site and their specs should list it, the view angles are a dead give away too, (Have you seen a monitor that is really bright if you look down on it from above, or really dark when you look up at it from below? Thats most likely a TN)

Price, god knows, all desktop monitors are quite expensive, but theres probably equaly matched IPS and TN for all price points, but if you want 120Hz it will cost you a premium probably ($500+)

I doubt its going to be an issue because pretty much every monitor these days is, but you want to make sure what you get is 1920x1080 resolution 1080p HD

You really need to read reviews and things tho, its all personal preference, what you want is important , preferably goto a local shop and actually view something
    I just did your 'looking down, and up' at the screen technique.. I think my laptop is a TN panel... I enjoy my laptop, but I have to wear gaming glasses to keep my eyes from hurting. Adjusting the lighting doesnt help either.

I read alot about TN reviews in the past 5-10 minutes of you mentioning it... Seems like alot of people enjoy them, but also think that you need to have a fairly good computer that can upkeep the power needed to run a 1920x1080x1080p HD TN panel monitor. Do you agree? Wont most computers bought now-a-days be able to compete with said monitors without a problem?

As you can tell, I have never built a computer. Always went to friends that knew about computers to help me get most of my laptops. Im very interested in this stuff, and you are helping alot. Sorry for all the questions. I have learned alot in the past 20minutes about monitors that I had never known about.. just thought they were all the same. Honestly.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Pretty much any spec PC these days will power a 1080p monitor fine, your FPS rates will vary on quality,shadow and lighting settings and such, but you can lower that to a point you feel you get good quality and a good smooth picture,

However 120Hz is pointless if your Graphics card cannot reach a stable FPS above 60, for obvious reasons , but you want to get as close to getting the full 60 on a normal refresh rate monitor as much as possible, I would personally spend more on a graphivs card than a monitor

Have you tried lowering your laptops BackLight settings? Probably Under Brightness Somewhere? Also dont play on it in a dimly lit room, get a good non power saving 70W+ lightbulb in your room - I have several eyesight problems and have to deal with all this also

A good idea is to pick out a few of your favorites and we can have a look and compare them with you always important to get a second opinion and do the research before blowing money on hardware you dont know much about, i was in the exact same position as you a few months ago and i did all this research, and you probably learned in 20min what took me 2 weeks to read and understand
    Last edited by DannyRS; 01-04-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Pretty much any spec PC these days will power a 1080p monitor fine, your FPS rates will vary on quality,shadow and lighting settings and such, but you can lower that to a point you feel you get good quality and a good smooth picture,

However 120Hz is pointless if your Graphics card cannot reach a stable FPS above 60, or obvious reasons , but you want to get as close to getting the full 60 as much as possible, I would personally spend more on a graphivs card than a monitor

Have you tried lowering your laptops BackLight settings? Probably Under Brightness Somewhere? Also dont play on it in a dimly lit room, get a good non power saving 70W+ lightbulb in your room
    Seems about right. I think I will be dropping $2000 on the computer by itself. I think that is enough to get a graphics card that can get above 60fps, if I am correct? I know my laptop gets around 80fps and it was only $1200.

I do thank you for all of the information you gave me with such quick reaction time. I hope others will be able to learn from this thread, it helped me alot.

I would like to ask one more thing from you though. What monitor would you buy that is 1920x1080x1080p HD TN panel, basically everything you want, for a reasonable price? Post the link if you dont mind.

Thanks so much!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

I'm not the person to ask for that good to see someone willing to actually spend some serious money on a build though, I googled it and these look like some good examples, from both TN and IPS I believe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...292&Tpk=pb238q

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236174

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236153

These are just from a google search on my phone, but Asus are a good brand from what reviews and customers say, but I would wait for someone elses oppinion here before really looking to spend money

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

I'm not the person to ask for that good to see someone willing to actually spend some serious money on a build though, I googled it and these look like some good examples, from both TN and IPS I believe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...292&Tpk=pb238q

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236174

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236153

These are just from a google search on my phone, but Asus are a good brand from what reviews and customers say, but I would wait for someone elses oppinion here before really looking to spend money
    Cool, cool man. No problem, thanks for the input. I wont be buying for awhile, was just trying to get an image in my mind. If you know anyone on the forums who would have some monitors in mind, send them a pm for me. Would be awesome.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Cool, cool man. No problem, thanks for the input. I wont be buying for awhile, was just trying to get an image in my mind. If you know anyone on the forums who would have some monitors in mind, send them a pm for me. Would be awesome.
    Dont think i know anyone as interested in hardware as me on villavu yet, I dont have much experience in the "value for money" area, I'm normally only focused on comparing the Two Top competators of things, guess I'm kinda snobby that way,

I understand Most hardware really well (GFX cards to monitors to USB stuff) tho and know what types / differences there are and what advantages, pros and cons they all have, so if you want a final opinion on a list for a build i can hopefully help out But I'm awful at making a final decision, and definetly dont like to make them for someone else

Sorry for any gramatical errors and spelling mistakes i made in this entire thread, 6:25AM, been up all night, and typing on a touch screen phone with thumbs no spellcheck and half the time the phone misses letters in the middle of words
    Last edited by DannyRS; 01-04-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Dont think i know anyone as interested in hardware as me on villavu yet, I dont have much experience in the "value for money" area, I'm normally only focused on comparing the Two Top competators of things, guess I'm kinda snobby that way,

I understand Most hardware really well (GFX cards to monitors to USB stuff) tho and know what types / differences there are and what advantages, pros and cons they all have, so if you want a final opinion on a list for a build i can hopefully help out But I'm awful at making a final decision, and definetly dont like to make them for someone else

Sorry for any gramatical errors and spelling mistakes i made in this entire thread, 6:25AM, been up all night, and typing on a touch screen phone with thumbs no spellcheck and half the time the phone misses letters in the middle of words
    When I come up with a build, I will be sure to pass it through you first. I like to get opinions and reviews on stuff before I buy them.

Think of my question before like this.. if you could spend $2500 max on a newly build computer, everything but the keyboard/mouse/headset, what would you buy for monitors? Max size of 25inches. Pretend you are using my money to buy something you want, without having to think.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

When I come up with a build, I will be sure to pass it through you first. I like to get opinions and reviews on stuff before I buy them.

Think of my question before like this.. if you could spend $2500 max on a newly build computer, everything but the keyboard/mouse/headset, what would you buy for monitors? Max size of 25inches. Pretend you are using my money to buy something you want, without having to think.
    The one i originally linked because i have it and for me its perfect, but theres no real way to know if you would like it, Its probably also still one of the best monitors on the market atm, but i havent looked lately,

If you have a good healthy budget for a monitor and graphics card, i would seriously recommed going 120Hz refresh rate, google reviews on the BenQ xl2420T and maybe google why 120Hz is better for gaming as it would take me about a week to type it all on a phone

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

The one i originally linked because i have it and for me its perfect, but theres no real way to know if you would like it, Its probably also still one of the best monitors on the market atm, but i havent looked lately,

If you have a good healthy budget for a monitor and graphics card, i would seriously recommed going 120Hz refresh rate, google reviews on the BenQ xl2420T and maybe google why 120Hz is better for gaming as it would take me about a week to type it all on a phone

Will do, will do. Thank for all the help, I will look more into this.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Will do, will do. Thank for all the help, I will look more into this.
    120hz allows you to have 3D if you ever wanted it (Nvidia only cant remember?) too (if you want it personally i think its garbage),

Anyways i need to go to bed and get some sleep before i die if you have any questions and this thread gets buried, drop me a PM anytime about anything

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

120hz allows you to have 3D if you ever wanted it (Nvidia only cant remember?) too (if you want it personally i think its garbage),

Anyways i need to go to bed and get some sleep before i die if you have any questions and this thread gets buried, drop me a PM anytime about anything
    Yeah man, 3D is garbage. Worst thing ever, I think. Hurts the eyes too!

I will man, you seem to know what you are doing.

Thread Information