Thread: Hard Resetting a Computer.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Default Hard Resetting a Computer.

Well, I went to work today and took my laptop. Got on Villavu a little and my computer started acting funny.. mainly weird sounds.. So I shut it off, and plugged it into the wall.

I came back a few hours later and tried to start up my computer but there was no response at all. I looked it up on the work computer and everything led me to 'Hard Resetting' my computer. I had to unplug it, take out the battery, and try starting it for 30 seconds. Put everything back together and start it. It worked, but my main question is:

Is this bad for computers, and if this happens, could there be something internally wrong.. Or maybe a virus of some type? Should I look at possibly getting a new computer soon? Edit: Also, how does this fix the computer, and make it turn on? How does it work, if you know. I would like to learn from you all.

Of course I could go to google, but what would these forums be for? I want to hear your opinions.
    Last edited by US Marine; 01-12-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    ^Made by: DannyRS

Check out my Tutorials: Miscellania Tutorial ~ 1 - 99 Smithing
    Avatar made by: Vinyl Scratch[/CENTER]

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

In most user cases it won't cause any real damage..

depends what type of stuff you're running, server stuff usually has a much higher chance to get damaged from random power outs, but it is the 1%.. random programs like skype, games etc don't see much harm

anything you listed can be the cause of it

how it fixes it: something made the kernel freeze by being a shitty program.. probably.. and you just basically restarted it so whatever glitch happened, now isn't happening
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Its not really a big deal but I always try to avoid hard resetting my baby. Only time I can think of that it would be a problem would be while Windows is installing updates or you're performing a system restore.

I'm not sure why it decided not to turn back on until you took out the battery, but apparently by taking out the battery it reset whatever was screwed up with the motherboard.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Interesting.. Im glad it doesnt mean anything serious is going on.. Great news!

Thanks
    ^Made by: DannyRS

Check out my Tutorials: Miscellania Tutorial ~ 1 - 99 Smithing
    Avatar made by: Vinyl Scratch[/CENTER]

Thread Information