Thread: 1/14/2013 Update

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

Default 1/14/2013 Update

Hati & Sk?ll (members only)

It's that time of year again; when Hati the legendary wolf stalks the rime-dusted forests of the Fremennik Province, and the Fremennik people plot to lure and capture his brother - Sk?ll - with a blaze as bright as the sun.

Speak to Vali outside Rellekka, and you'll be able to fight Hati when he appears regularly in the woods to the south east of Vali's location. You'll most likely need to work with others to win. If you contribute to the fight at all, though, you'll be able to claim paws which double combat XP gained when worn, and a cosmetic cloak and hood. These are dropped upon his defeat for everyone who pitched in, so don't be afraid to get involved, even if you're low-levelled. If you already own them, you won't receive them again, but your paws will be recharged - although only once for this year's event.

Speak to Vitharr on the coast, far to the west of Rellekka, for details of how to lure and fight Sk?ll. Whether you fuel the fire that brings him to Gielinor, or help to defeat him once he arrives, you'll be able to pick up a set of boots, which are dropped upon his demise for everyone who helped. These give aboost to Agility and Woodcutting XP earned while worn, equivalent to the combat XP boost from the paws. As with the paws, if you already own the boots, you'll get your annual recharge instead. Everyone involved also has the chance to find an all-new, cosmetic Sk?ll amulet.

Combat Updates

As promised in Mod Mark's recent Og Blog, we've made a number of major changes to the way combat works:

Chaotic spikes are now available from the rewards vendor on Daemonheim Peninsula, which can be added to dragon claws (5 each for both the main-hand and off-hand claws) . These powerful new chaotic claws require 80 Attack to wield, and degrade in the same way as other chaotic weapons.
    The defensive values of armour and weapons have been re-factored to provide additional effectiveness and worth to higher level gear and weaponry. NPCs have also undergone a similar treatment, so be warned when returning to tougher NPCs in lower-level gear.
    Torva, Pernix and Virtus gear now confer class-specific strength bonuses to the wearer. There is also an additional strength bonus for wearing a full set of Torva, Pernix or Virtus gear. The Bandos chestplate, Armadyl chestplate and Subjugation (sp) robe top have had class-specific strength bonuses added as well.
    Regeneration is 20% less effective than it was, and Rejuvenation now has a 5-minute cooldown.

Along with the economic effects discussed in Mod Mark's blog, these changes make high-end gear as awesome as it should be - and a must-have when going toe-to-toe with the Kalphite King!

The Kalphite King (members only)

The Kalphite King is here, and he's by far the toughest boss ever seen in RuneScape. He has a combat level of 230; three forms, each requiring different tactics; and an array of devastating attacks, including an ability that can one-hit kill anyone who doesn't avoid it!

The Kalphite King's too much to handle alone, so you'll need to bring friends. You can face him in groups of up to 20, and you'll need to have mastered the full breadth of EoC combat tactics to survive. You'll need to cycle tanks using threat-generating abilities, take careful note of the king and his minions' vulnerabilities, and co-ordinate your group to avoid deadly area-of-effect attacks.
    kalphite lair

With this in mind, you'll most likely want to face him in a group of friends, with whom you can practice and develop strategies. The Kalphite King's Chamber is instanced, and we've introduced a new grouping system for the area that lets you determine how and with whom you want to undertake this monumental combat feat. When you enter, you'll be asked whether you want to create a new instance or join another, and instances can be locked to a specified number of players; to a minimum combat level; and to those with a pass code of your choice. It's also possible to determine the spawn rate of the king within your instance.
    Head into the Exiled Kalphite Hive, if you dare. It's going to take all of your skill and concentration, a group of staunch comrades, high combat levels and the very best gear in the game to take down this mandibulate monstrosity.

Drygore Weapons (members only)

Speaking of gear, the Kalphite King brings with him the first level 90 equipment: the grotesquely powerful drygore weapons. Rare drops from the Kalphite King himself, they comprise a rapier, longsword and mace - as well as off-hand equivalents - and are wrought from nightmarish arthropod appendages. They're the very best dual-wielding melee weapons in the game - requiring level 90 Attack - and are sure to lay waste to whatever stands in your way.
    drygore weapons

Drygore weapons degrade with use, and can be repaired with chitin gathered from enemies in the new Exiled Kalphite Hive. This will drop in the form of untradeable damaged chitin, but a smith of level 60 or higher can break this down into chitin scraps at an anvil. This will render it tradeable, and ready for use in repairs.

Alternatively, speak to Bob in Lumbridge to repair your weapons in exchange for coins, or do so at an armour stand in your player-owned house.

Exiled Kalphite Hive (members only)

Zoologists, desert travellers and entomophobes alike are bewildered by the emergence of a new Kalphite Hive in the Kharidian Desert. Home to a new strain of 'exiled' kalphites, it has been theorised that these creatures have broken away from the original hive, and even that they are preparing for war against their former home.

No-one knows for certain why this new hive has been founded; why there are newly-evolved breeds of magic-using kalphite within; or why it is presided over not only by the Kalphite King, but also another Kalphite Queen. For now, those venturing into the hive can expect to find fierce opponents on which to train combat or Slayer, a source of chitin with which to repair drygore weapons, and the entrance to both the Kalphite King's and the Exiled Kalphite Queen's lairs. Drops from kalphites - both regular and exiled - have been improved to make them much more appealing as a combat target, and the original Kalphite Lair has been graphically updated to bring it in line with the quality of the new one, as have all kalphite NPCs, with the exception of the Kalphite Queen.
    kalphite graphical update

Where to fight the Kalphite King:

Enter the Exiled Kalphite Hive, found to the south of the Jaldraocht Pyramid in the Kharidian Desert. The Kalphite King's Chamber can be found deep within.
    Upon entering the Kalphite King's Chamber, you will be given the choice to either begin a new instance, with parameters defined by you, or to join an existing instance.

Requirements:

You must be a RuneScape member.
    While there are no level requirements, it is strongly suggested that you have at least level 80 in both your primary combat skill and your Defence skill (for a combat level of at least 160) before you attempt to fight the Kalphite King.
    We also suggest a group of at least 10 players, as well as the very best gear that your skill level allows you to wear.
    Wielding drygore weapons requires level 90 Attack.
    If you wish to break down damaged chitin for sale or weapon repairs, you will need at least level 60 Smithing.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    272 Post(s)

The good thing about monster buffing (such as slayer monsters, pointed out by @Jakee; in another thread), is that food prices will indeed increase. Same idea with frost dragons and their frost dragon bones, I'm sure those will rise in price too (unless another future update counters this logic). Nonetheless, quite an interesting update for today: Kalphite King being interesting (in my opinion) via new "strongest" boss monster, as well as the return of the Haiti Wolf The Drygore weapons indeed sound pricey/possibly useful too (maybe even shed light to a new line of weapons?)

Thanks for the update,
    -Lj

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

Already been a thread tho I never saw jakee mention hati is back tho

Edit: thought sin made that thread must if got confused :/
    Last edited by Mark; 01-14-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

I'm really excited to own those new dygore weapons but I was just at waterfiends and you can barely hit them with ranged. They did get somehow stronger.

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

Thanks for the update <3

New weapons interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Have u guys tried killing waterfiends or skeletal wyverns? I went from 156 crims per hour on waterfeinds to 78 with the buffs... 30 kills per trip at skeletal wyverns to maybe 10.... Come on jagex hahaha
    "The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture then it takes poeple to look at it"- Banksy

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bloopa1 View Post
    Have u guys tried killing waterfiends or skeletal wyverns? I went from 156 crims per hour on waterfeinds to 78 with the buffs... 30 kills per trip at skeletal wyverns to maybe 10.... Come on jagex hahaha
    I tried to kill waterfiends and they are just impossible to kill fast. Hopefully they fix this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

I wanted to collect some crims as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

I just failed to kill glacors cuz they outhealed me
    <--Previously known as fiery oblivion-->

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chongc View Post
    I just failed to kill glacors cuz they outhealed me
    They will be patching this and mithril dragons too

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    They will be patching this and mithril dragons too
    Do you know if they'll be making any changes to the new armour effects? Like increasing them?
    My First Build!, Selling Downloadable Games
    -------------------------------------

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Do you know if they'll be making any changes to the new armour effects? Like increasing them?
    Nothing has been said about armour changes

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Nothing has been said about armour changes
    Aww, ok =I
    My First Build!, Selling Downloadable Games
    -------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

I made 250m profit on Torva

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr[S] View Post
    gimmie!!!
    F2P food is spiking now :P

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Killer View Post
    gimmie!!!
    F2P food is spiking now :P
    Lots of money to be made.

Interesting that Jagex updated the defensive buffs on monsters that were being botted on. Easy solution lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

didn't torva crash or u made before the crash?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

didn't torva crash or u made before the crash?
    After the crash, if I sold before who knows how much I would have got, 50-150m more maybe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

After the crash, if I sold before who knows how much I would have got, 50-150m more maybe...
    lawl torva is like <350m again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

lawl torva is like <350m again
    I sold it yesterday, got 475m for it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

I sold it yesterday, got 475m for it
    i'm stuck with a v top i bought at the high, 135m and like half price now lawl

Thread Information