Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to the New Forum Layout.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)

Thumbs up Guide to the New Forum Layout.

Welcome to the Guide to the New Forum Layout!

Foreword:

The recent forum upgrade has changed the forum layout around quite drastically due to new themes and the obvious version update, which has added or updated features built into vBulletin. Here I will try to explain what things are and what they are used for.

Please note: Pictures in this guide are on the theme 'Metro - Fixed', so certain buttons and features may look different.

Table of Contents:

1. Introduction
    2. Sections of the Forum
    3. New Features
    4. Themes
    5. Author's Notes

Introduction:

Hello SRL. This guide is for people who are dumbfounded by the new look of the forum so that they can understand the forum well enough to use it effectively.

Sections of the Forum:

The Landing Page:

Implemented with the new update, this landing page will appear when you go to http://www.villavu.com.

On this page, there are three buttons:

You can avoid the page by going straight to the forum URL instead of just villavu.com.

The Board Index:

So you've just come to the forum and been presented with a very different layout of the site you knew so well. You will see large blue buttons in the Navigation Bar (See: The Navigation Bar) and the boards you are very familiar with.

At the bottom of the board index, you will see a list of the currently active users, users active in the past 24 hours, the ranks, birthdays and forums statistics.

Don't worry, above that you will see the stats you are so used to seeing!

The Navigation Bar:
    Metro:

Default:

You are presented with five beautiful big buttons:

Seven intriguing hyperlinks:

Four useful account related links:

And a search bar.

The Posts:

Posts looks quite different now, with features being moved around the display. Here is an example post:

Metro:

Here are what the different buttons mean:

• - This button is the reputation button. Use this button to add to a users reputation, or take from it if you are a member.
    • - This button is the report a post button.
    • - This button is the reply button. This replies to a thread without the use of quotes.
    • - This button is the reply with quote button. This replies to a thread with a quote from another user on it.
    • - This button is the multi-quote button. This allows you to select multiple messages to have quoted in a post.

Default:

• - This button is the reputation button. Use this button to add to a users reputation, or take from it if you are a member.
    • - This button is the reply button. This replies to a thread without the use of quotes.
    • - This button is the reply with quote button. This replies to a thread with a quote from another user on it.
    • - This button is the multi-quote button. This allows you to select multiple messages to have quoted in a post.

Satellite (NEW):

The layout changes quite drastically from the default and metro themes.

The user bar at the top of each post has slightly changed. Here are the themes:

Metro:

As you can see, there is now no activity/longetivity bars. This is because the plugin has not been ported to vBulletin 4. But, now there is a mention system which effectively is a tagging system. The rest is basically the same, except for slight changes in the CSS and images (reputation bar).

Default:

Satellite (NEW):

New Features:

There are TONS of new features that have been added from the upgrade to vBulletin 4.

Some of these are:

• User Tagging
    • Anchors
    • Notifications
    • Bug Issue System
    • Embedded IRC chat

User Tagging:

User tagging, or mentioning a user in a post notifies them that you have tagged them and adds a mention to their statistics. Here's how to tag a user in a post:

Member+ Sections:

All you have to do in these sections is put @username where you want the name to appear.

Non-Member Sections:

In non-member sections, it takes abit more effort to taga user. This is so admins are not spammed with notifications so easily. So what you have to do is:

Simba Code:
    [mention=userID]Username[/mention]

You can get the user ID by going to the users profile and grabbing the number in the URL, for example: in http://villavu.com/forum/member.php?u=106722 grab 106722. It should turn out like so:

@Chris!

Anchors:

Anchors allow you to make it so when you click a word, it will take you to a different place in that post. Anchors are used a lot in this guide. Here's how to add an anchor to your posts :

Simba Code:
    ]jumpto="example"]example[/jumpto]

Simba Code:
    ]anchor="example"]example[/anchor]

Do NOT forget the "" around the word you're anchoring or jumping to. If you forget them or mess that part up it WILL NOT WORK.

It should turn out like this:

I'm jumping to example.

I am example.

Notifications:

The new notifications system allows users to instantly know if they have been quoted or PM'd (There are more things that give you a notification). At the top of the page you are viewing, you will see:

When you have a notification, you will have an orange circle with a number in it stating how many you have. If you click the number, you can see what notifications you have.

Bug Issue System:

Another new feature in the upgrade was the bug, or issue system. This is now the way to let the staff know if there is a bug that needs addressing. When you click the 'Bugs' button in the navigation bar, you will see this:

To submit an issue, go to Site Bugs/SRL 5/SRL 6 (whatever you're submitting a bug for) and click the 'Post New Issue' button:

Make sure you provide details, pictures and anything that can help identify the bug.

Embedded IRC chat:

Yep, that's right. No more third party programs to connect to the SRL IRC chat. All you have to do now is press the 'Chat' button in the navigation bar and you're set.

Update (20/01/13): In your About Me section on your profile, you can set an IRC Name. This is for if you use a different name on IRC than your forum username. Leave blank to use forum username.

Simba Tag Update:

You can now add line numbers to your SIMBA code tags! To do this, simply put:

[simba=true]yourcodehere[/simba]

Simba Code:
    1. program new;
    3.   {$DEFINE SMART8}     //Add // before if using browser
    5.   {$i SRL/srl.simba}
    6.   {$i SRL/SRL/misc/SmartGraphics.simba}
    8.   Const
    10.   var
    13. Procedure DeclarePlayers;
    14. begin
    15.   HowManyPlayers := 1;
    16.   NumberOfPlayers(HowManyPlayers);
    17.   CurrentPlayer := 0;
    18.   Players[0].Name := '';        //Username
    19.   Players[0].Pass := '';        //Password
    20.   Players[0].Nick := '';        //Nickname
    21.   Players[0].Pin := '';         //Bank Pin
    22.   Players[0].Active:=True;
    23. end;
    25. begin
    26.   SetupSRL;
    27.   ActivateClient;
    28.   DeclarePlayers;
    29.   LoginPlayer;
    30. end.

That's really useful for debugging!

[simba] or [simba=false] will be the same no line code.

Themes:

With the upgrade, we have 3 different themes available for use (Not including the mobile theme). These are:

The difference between Metro - Fixed and Metro - Fluid is fluid fills the screen and will flow to the confines of your browser by rewrapping paragraphs as the window is resized. This is the same with the Satellite theme.
    Fixed looks more compact and does not change in size with the browser.

Author's Notes:

Thank you for reading this guide and I hope it helped you. If you find any grammatical issues in any part of this thread, PLEASE alert me too it! You can help make the guides better by doing this and suggesting this to add to the guide!

Thanks guys,

-Chris!
    Last edited by Chris!; 02-26-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added Satellite theme.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Moved upon request, great job!

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

Very nice!
    STOP PM'ING ME

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    Moved upon request, great job!
    Thanks <3.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Very nice!
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

Awesome job! Very well laid out
    Away for awhile, life is keeping me busy. | Want to get my attention in a thread? @Kyle Undefined; me.
    { MSI Phoenix || SRL Stats Sigs || Paste || Scripts || Quotes || Graphics }

When posting a bug, please post debug! Help us, help you!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. || To be the best, you've got to beat the rest. || Logic never changes, just the syntax.
    If you PM me with a stupid question or one listed in FAQ, or about a script that is not mine, I will NOT respond.

SRL is a Library of routines made by the SRL community written for the Program Simba. We produce Scripts for the game Runescape.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

This is an amazing guide, it goes through pretty much everything you need to know. And beautifully formatted as usual. Perhaps this could be stickied somewhere? Rep+, great job as always Chris!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Undefined View Post
    Awesome job! Very well laid out
    Why, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    This is an amazing guide, it goes through pretty much everything you need to know. And beautifully formatted as usual. Perhaps this could be stickied somewhere? Rep+, great job as always Chris!
    Thanks. Stickied you say? Aw shucks. c:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

I've got used to metro fluid now, I'm still a bit off put though about posting and stuff but now I found my beloved 'Mark forums as read' I can finally do it like the old days

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)

Haha. Once you get used to new themes and layouts it's easy to get back to your old routines.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

Woah amazing guide. Lots of detail and explanation. Gratz

Repped.

How do you rep now ?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Benny View Post
    Woah amazing guide. Lots of detail and explanation. Gratz

Repped.

How do you rep now ?
    bottom left corner of their post, star thing
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    Guess you are using another style, for me.
    Good guide, talking about rep, you might want to add some information about that and when to give positive, when to give negative, etc. Maybe how rep power is calculated (joindate in years + posts/1000 + rep/100). As an example, if you have been here for 3 years, made 3500 posts and have 250 rep then you will give 3+3+2=8 rep.

You can now view your rep here: http://villavu.com/forum/usercp.php
    And you can also view to who you gave rep and when. Might want to add something about rep boxes aswell, each 100 rep you get a green box and you start with one at 0 rep. So 100 rep = 2 boxes, 200 rep = 3, etc. Same for negative. -1 rep is 1 red box, -100 is 2 red boxes, etc. I'm not sure if that also changes your rep power.

Example: joindate is January 2013 (0 years), you made 250 posts (<1000 so 0 rep) and you have -100 rep. Using the formula you would give 0 + 0 -1 = -1 rep.. But I guess rep can only be >= 0. Who knows, there might be a mistake

Now that I was about to post this I saw Post Icons, might want to add something about that? And smilies? :P
    Last edited by J J; 01-15-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Script source code available here: Github

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J J View Post
    Good guide, talking about rep, you might want to add some information about that and when to give positive, when to give negative, etc. Maybe how rep power is calculated (joindate in years + posts/1000 + rep/100). As an example, if you have been here for 3 years, made 3500 posts and have 250 rep then you will give 3+3+2=8 rep.

And you can also view to who you gave rep and when. Might want to add something about rep boxes aswell, each 100 rep you get a green box and you start with one at 0 rep. So 100 rep = 2 boxes, 200 rep = 3, etc. Same for negative. -1 rep is 1 red box, -100 is 2 red boxes, etc. I'm not sure if that also changes your rep power.

Example: joindate is January 2013 (0 years), you made 250 posts (<1000 so 0 rep) and you have -100 rep. Using the formula you would give 0 + 0 -1 = -1 rep.. But I guess rep can only be >= 0. Who knows, there might be a mistake

Now that I was about to post this I saw Post Icons, might want to add something about that? And smilies? :P
    I shall add this information to: The Ultimate Guide to Making a Superb Guide!. I don't believe that information belongs on this thread.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post

Thanks guys. It's just taking me a while to adapt! Thanks again!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

I'm on whatever default is!
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

@Chris! Great Job on this guide. Is there a way we can see our Rep like we used to see it before. Like when you clicked on User CP and the recent Reps were under Fractions.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silentcore View Post
    @Chris! Great Job on this guide. Is there a way we can see our Rep like we used to see it before. Like when you clicked on User CP and the recent Reps were under Fractions.
    Yeah click on settings (right up the top of villavu.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

is this normal???
    Hi

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

Thats the default theme. He wrote the tutorial using the Metro theme. (Change using the drop box at bottom left of page)
    STOP PM'ING ME

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Thats the default theme. He wrote the tutorial using the Metro theme. (Change using the drop box at bottom left of page)
    + You might need to go into your account settings and change it through there, I found that my theme always changed back to default after I logged out until I changed it from the settings

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)

To expand the guide, I might show pictures with the Default theme aswell as the Metro theme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Hehehe the read/unread icon changed.
    <--Previously known as fiery oblivion-->

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)