Thread: Need help with basic English

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Default Need help with basic English

Okay I'm trying to be better at English so I'm doing some basic English worksheets and I want to check my answers:

So here are some of the questions, I just want to see if I'm right. Just tell me the answers to these:

What is the complete subject and the complete predicate of the following sentences:

1. Here is the tennis racket he used when he won the tennis match.
    2. He was wearing green shorts, a blue palid shirt, and white socks.
    3. The tennis racket, balls, a towel, and dirty clothes littered the floor of his room.

What is the gerund, participial, and infinitive phrases of the following sentences? Then indicate the gerund phrase, infinitive phrase, or participial phrase

1. Getting into college was Bet's first goal toward a successful career.
    2. She needed to study diligently
    3. Knowing she shouldn't, Beth went out with friends before a big test.

What is the prepositional phrases in teh following sentence and appositive phrases?

1. On the way to the train station, we saw a man walking a large, furry dog.
    2. The dog, a husky, watched everything, but stayed at the man's side.
    3. Siberian huskies, a breed of working dog, often have blue eyes.
    4. Having one blue and one brown eye is also common for the breed.
    5. In my imagination, I could see myself on a sled winning the Iditarod, an Alaskan dogsled race, with a team of blue-eyed huskies.
    2 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

So I see this is your first post and you will probably never return, but I thought I would attempt this and learn something new

Q. What is the complete subject and the complete predicate of the following sentences:

The complete subject includes all words that tell who or what the subject is.
    The complete predicate includes all words that state the action or condition of the subject

3. The tennis racket, balls, a towel, and dirty clothes littered the floor of his room.

Q. What is the gerund, participial, and infinitive phrases of the following sentences? Then indicate the gerund phrase, infinitive phrase, or participial phrase

These are the three types of verbal phrases. The term verbal indicates the phrase is based on a verb and therefore expresses action or a state of being.
    - A gerund is a verbal that ends in –ing. This behaves as a noun.
    - An infinitive will almost always begin with to followed by the simple form of the verb.
    - A participle phrase will begin with a present or past participle. If the participle is present, it will end in -ing, whereas a regular past participle will end in -ed. These always act as adjectives.

1. Getting into college was Beth's first goal toward a successful career.
    3. Knowing she shouldn't, Beth went out with friends before a big test. (Don't mistake knowing for a gerund - this acts as an adjective describing the noun, Beth.)

Q. What is the prepositional phrases in the following sentence and appositive phrases?

A prepositional phrase will begin with a preposition and end with a noun, pronoun, gerund, or clause. There may be multiple modifiers in between. These may function as adjectives or adverbs. As an adjective, the prepositional phrase will answer the question Which one? As an adverb, a prepositional phrase will answer questions such as How? When? or Where? Remember that a prepositional phrase will never contain the subject of a sentence.

An appositive is a noun or noun phrase that renames another noun right beside it. This is always separated from the rest of the sentence with commas.

1. On the way to the train station [where?], we saw a man walking a large, furry dog.
    2. The dog, a husky [rename dog], watched everything, but stayed at the man's side [where?].
    3. Siberian huskies, a breed of working dog[What?] [rename Siberian huskies], often have blue eyes.
    4. Having one blue and one brown eye is also common for the breed [what?].
    5. In my imagination, I could see myself on a sled winning the Iditarod, an Alaskan dogsled race [rename Iditarod], with a team of blue-eyed huskies [which one?].

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct so I am open to corrections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Default Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    So I see this is your first post and you will probably never return, but I thought I would attempt this and learn something new

Q. What is the complete subject and the complete predicate of the following sentences:

The complete subject includes all words that tell who or what the subject is.
    The complete predicate includes all words that state the action or condition of the subject

Q. What is the gerund, participial, and infinitive phrases of the following sentences? Then indicate the gerund phrase, infinitive phrase, or participial phrase

These are the three types of verbal phrases. The term verbal indicates the phrase is based on a verb and therefore expresses action or a state of being.
    - A gerund is a verbal that ends in –ing. This behaves as a noun.
    - An infinitive will almost always begin with to followed by the simple form of the verb.
    - A participle phrase will begin with a present or past participle. If the participle is present, it will end in -ing, whereas a regular past participle will end in -ed. These always act as adjectives.

1. Getting into college was Beth's first goal toward a successful career.
    3. Knowing she shouldn't, Beth went out with friends before a big test. (Don't mistake knowing for a gerund - this acts as an adjective describing the noun, Beth.)

Q. What is the prepositional phrases in the following sentence and appositive phrases?

A prepositional phrase will begin with a preposition and end with a noun, pronoun, gerund, or clause. There may be multiple modifiers in between. These may function as adjectives or adverbs. As an adjective, the prepositional phrase will answer the question Which one? As an adverb, a prepositional phrase will answer questions such as How? When? or Where? Remember that a prepositional phrase will never contain the subject of a sentence.

An appositive is a noun or noun phrase that renames another noun right beside it. This is always separated from the rest of the sentence with commas.

1. On the way to the train station [where?], we saw a man walking a large, furry dog.
    2. The dog, a husky [rename dog], watched everything, but stayed at the man's side [where?].
    3. Siberian huskies, a breed of working dog[What?] [rename Siberian huskies], often have blue eyes.
    4. Having one blue and one brown eye is also common for the breed [what?].
    5. In my imagination, I could see myself on a sled winning the Iditarod, an Alaskan dogsled race [rename Iditarod], with a team of blue-eyed huskies [which one?].

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct so I am open to corrections.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions. You are the only person that helped me, I've posted on 7-8 forums and not one single person helped me =/.

Anyways, most of our answers were similar except for few.

For #4 I put "For the breed" as a prepositional phrase

For #5 I put "On a sled winning the Iditarod" as a prepositional phrase but however I could be wrong though. I also put "an Alaskan dogsled race" as an appositive phrase and "With a team of blue eyed huskies" as a prepositional phrase.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_Got_Munnyz View Post

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions. You are the only person that helped me, I've posted on 7-8 forums and not one single person helped me =/.

Anyways, most of our answers were similar except for few.

For #4 I put "For the breed" as a prepositional phrase

For #5 I put "On a sled winning the Iditarod" as a prepositional phrase but however I could be wrong though. I also put "an Alaskan dogsled race" as an appositive phrase and "With a team of blue eyed huskies" as a prepositional phrase.
    No problem. Glad I could help. You may have that correct for #5 because the phrase "On a sled winning the Iditarod" does answer the where? question (i.e. where did he see himself in his imagination).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

I had a look at this thread and was surprised by what I've read. I hardly consider this "basic". I don't recall ever being taught any of this, even in some university level courses I undertook. Thanks for introducing me to some new terms (though I'll probably never use them...)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

Go figure that the only class I learned any of this stuff in was high school Latin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)

If this is the " basic " english that they are teaching in school today, what did I learn??

I don't even recall some of these words... the hell is "predicate"

Come to think of it, I don't even think I had an " english " course in high school...??

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theholyone View Post
    If this is the " basic " english that they are teaching in school today, what did I learn??

I don't even recall some of these words... the hell is "predicate"

Come to think of it, I don't even think I had an " english " course in high school...??
    IMO grammar gets to be kind of pointless (at least to native speakers) up to a certain point

Had a English teacher rant on about how 'kids these days' spoke and wrote in such grammatically incorrect language compared to foreign speakers... I was no no shit lady they learned English in school and don't communicate with it on a regular basis, we learned at home. I also talk in grammatically perfect Spanish doesn't make it easier for people to understand you..

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    IMO grammar gets to be kind of pointless (at least to native speakers) up to a certain point
    Never laughed so much at a forum post. Thanks man.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post

Had a English teacher rant on about how 'kids these days' spoke and wrote in such grammatically incorrect language compared to foreign speakers... I was no no shit lady they learned English in school and don't communicate with it on a regular basis, we learned at home. I also talk in grammatically perfect Spanish doesn't make it easier for people to understand you..
    This may not be completely relevant; however, I experienced a similar feeling about cursive/script. In elementary school they forced us to learn it and told us that we'd be using it exclusively when we got older, but as I went to middle and high school, it turned out people just stopped using it. The only time I use script now is for my really ugly signature, which is a pity since I used to write such beautiful cursive.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post
    This may not be completely relevant; however, I experienced a similar feeling about cursive/script. In elementary school they forced us to learn it and told us that we'd be using it exclusively when we got older, but as I went to middle and high school, it turned out people just stopped using it. The only time I use script now is for my really ugly signature, which is a pity since I used to write such beautiful cursive.
    I stopped writing shit altogether. Only time i ever write is if i need to sign for a parcel or something like that too.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

It's supposed to be basic. I learned almost all of my grammar in elementary school (grades 1-5).
    Then at some point English classes just stopped covering it for some reason. It's a shame, because lots of kids hold on to that 5th grade level or writing throughout middle and high school.
    I think only one of my high school English classes covered grammar at all.

Cursive... I never understood this. It's so hard to read and write.
    Last edited by Citrus; 02-20-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    So I see this is your first post and you will probably never return
    He was right!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mudda_fudda View Post
    He was right!
    no he wasn't, read one post further down

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post
    no he wasn't, read one post further down
    Well i saw that, but he posted one question and got an answer and never returned

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

You should check out http://www.nltk.org/
    It's pretty neat, and can even teach you some things about english.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nltk works

Thread Information