Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Tutorial] [Part I] Runescape Injection Basics

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Default [Tutorial] [Part I] Runescape Injection Basics

Forenote: This is how I learned, if anything can be simplified/if I did it wrong, leave a post explaining why and how I need to fix the issue. Thanks.

Table of Contents
    • Introduction
    • Setting up your class
    • Preparing the loader
    • Final Notes

Introduction
    Awhile ago, I looked into fooling with Java injection on oldschool. I didn't get too far, but I did manage to do some things.
    By the end of this tutorial, you should be able to load the gamepack, and display it as an applet. No actual injection is being done here, we're just setting on up.
    I'll be using Intellij throughout this tutorial, so the pictures may be a little off.
    You also need a basic understanding of Java to complete this tutorial.
    Well, let's get too it.
    Setting up your class

You'll want to make a new project by clicking File>New Project.
    If you did that, it should look like this:

Just click okay on the next window.
    You'll be presented a window like so(Large Image):

Expand your project so it looks like so:

Now, right click on the src, and make new package.
    Name it something like com.bot
    You're almost set now... but wait,you need ASM!
    Lucky for you, I prepared a download of the all extensive ASM jar, found here.
    After you put that in a safe place, click: CTRL+Shift+Alt+S
    A box like this will appear:

Click the Modules tab on the left, and inside that, click Dependencies, so it looks like

You'll then want to click the green plus(+) sign at the right of that window, and select Jar or Directories.
    Navigate to your ASM-All-4.1.jar you downloaded earlier, and select it.
    You will now want to export it by selecting the little tick box.

Click apply, then okay.
    We are now prepared to code!

Preparing your loader

For your benefit, all the code will be screen shotted, so you can not copy and paste. This will force you to write out all code within the tutorials.
    Alright, here we go. Another note, I will explain what the code does after I post it. So don't worry if you don't understand it at first, just type it, and all will be clear.

This is your first code you need to write down.
    It searches a pattern(Which we will get to later) for a field. It then runs it through a Matcher to check for matches, then assigns group 1 and 2 (Name of parameter, and value) to a map.
    You can read about Maps here

Next, we add a new method. Copy this out

What this does is it opens a URL connection, and then adds request properties, stuff that a browser would have. It opens a DataInputStream, and returns the HTML of the webpage.
    Near the top of the code, under the imports, change public class main{ to:

Then add this code to the bottom:

This code sets up our class to start the game applet, by setting up the appletstub, all it does.

Your next code is:
    This code downloads the info from the website, and downloads the gamepack to your PC, allowing for further editing.

This next part is the nitty gritty.

Alright, here we go.

What this does, it makes a new JFrame, (Replace "NKN's Oldschool Loader" with w/e you want.")
    It then adds a new label, which has a picture so the user has something "nice" to look at when it's loading.

String str gets the HTML source of the runescape page we're going to be loading from. This is how we will parse everything.
    The next line starts a pattern, looking for the location of the gamepack. The code states, if a match is found, do this
    We initialize a new AppletStub with Main stub = new Main(); (Remember, Main implements AppletStub?)
    This sets up the stub. Don't worry about the pattern, it's in Regex if you REALLY want to know.
    We then download the gamepack, and save it.
    We set the stubs' codebase and document base to the jar file location, and load the java parameters (Like max and min memory, ect.)
    We then load the classes, and cast an Applet to it, loading the client class inside the gamepack.jar file.
    We set the stub, and the size, start the applet, and add it to the JFrame, before making the label invisible and making the applet show!

Viola, loading the game should be done... it's not working when you click play? Did you forget to add it to execute?!
    Run back to the top, and try this code on for size:

Click run, you should end up with something like:
    for the loader, and
    for the game!

Final Thoughts

I know this isn't the best detailed tutorial, but I tried my best. Some things can be made simpler, if you have any ideas, leave a post. Try not to flame me with them though, as this is how I learned it. Well, if you made it this far, congrats! You made a loader!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

Hmm... I am really tempted to actually attempt to make one of these. It would be kinda fun! and looks like it too!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Well I understood a little bit of this... one day.. one day I may come back and understand this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

This is how BenLand loads the client in SMART, correct? I recognize most of this code.

Anyways, I will definitely try this from scratch when I get the time. Thanks for the guide.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neodymium View Post
    This is how BenLand loads the client in SMART, correct? I recognize most of this code.

Anyways, I will definitely try this from scratch when I get the time. Thanks for the guide.
    He does it a bit different. It interacts with Simba, and is a lot more complex.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

I've never seen any tutorials using ASM, only BCEL. I'd love to see what your future guides will be like!

I've also not seen a huge number of people using IntelliJ, how have you been finding it? I'm far too generic in always using eclipse.

One final note, about the naming of packages you did. The general convention is that you name these essentially in reverse of your domain: [URL suffix].[domain].[packages...].Class. For example: com.villavu.bot.Loader

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I've never seen any tutorials using ASM, only BCEL. I'd love to see what your future guides will be like!

I've also not seen a huge number of people using IntelliJ, how have you been finding it? I'm far too generic in always using eclipse.

One final note, about the naming of packages you did. The general convention is that you name these essentially in reverse of your domain: [URL suffix].[domain].[packages...].Class. For example: com.villavu.bot.Loader
    I found IntelliJ confusing at first, but after awhile I like it better than Eclipse. Not sure why, just grew on me I guess.

As for the final note, wouldn't that be for people with a website, so they can use an API? Most people don't have websites laying around. D: But anywho, thanks for the insight.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NKN View Post
    I found IntelliJ confusing at first, but after awhile I like it better than Eclipse. Not sure why, just grew on me I guess.

As for the final note, wouldn't that be for people with a website, so they can use an API? Most people don't have websites laying around. D: But anywho, thanks for the insight.
    I'm not sure if I'm too set in my ways to try out a new IDE yet Then again, it sounds like my degree intends to steer clear of java for the first year, focusing on more practical languages. Which is a shame in some ways.

About the naming, it's just "one of those things", there's no real reason behind it, and it often makes sense to do it in other ways. I probably shouldn't have said anything, as programmers we must find our own, more practical methods, free of conformity!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

I'm not sure if I'm too set in my ways to try out a new IDE yet Then again, it sounds like my degree intends to steer clear of java for the first year, focusing on more practical languages. Which is a shame in some ways.
    Where are you getting your degree?
    I start my first programming year as a freshmen in highschool next year, we start with Visual Basic, then the year after that, Java.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Where are you getting your degree?
    I start my first programming year as a freshmen in highschool next year, we start with Visual Basic, then the year after that, Java.
    If all goes to plan with my A level retakes, should be going to the University of Exeter, but we'll see. If I end up doing better than expected, maybe UCL or Bristol.

Also, when it comes to VB, don't get put off by this general idea that it's useless. It can actually be pretty useful when applied in the right areas. On top of that, if you use Visual Studio, then it gets you used to the UI for moving on to C/C++ if you plan to stay with that IDE (although I seem to be in a minority here for supporting MS )
    Last edited by Richard; 03-19-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Failing to spell "here" like an educated being. NKN, edit your quote!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

(although I seem to be in a minority hear for supporting MS )
    My highschool makes us use Visual Studio for all Basic/C++ applications, don't fret. <3

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Not yet to the injection part but awesome starter kick-starter! nice tutorial

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Looks like this may be a promising tutorial series. I'm eagerly awaiting the next parts as they are the bits I know less about.
    +rep thanks for your time

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Might want to explain more about regular expressions and what it's actually getting. Other than that it's nice to start off with for people

Script source code available here: Github

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great tut. Thanks!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Don't really know much java but Bookmark'd for later

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

Very nice guide, im looking forward into the rest parts..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)

I'll try this. Very nice tut, very easy to follow, and the pictures vs. copy/paste forces people to actually possibly learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I followed your tutorial. However, only the loader loads. Then it just sits there and displays the .gif. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adium View Post
    I followed your tutorial. However, only the loader loads. Then it just sits there and displays the .gif. Any ideas?
    You're loading the applet wrong. Make sure all the methods are typed out correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

You're loading the applet wrong. Make sure all the methods are typed out correctly.
    What should <~> be? I put a random number in because <~> gave me an error.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adium View Post
    What should <~> be? I put a random number in because <~> gave me an error.
    What..?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

What..?
    Code:
    public class Main {
      private static Map<String, String> parameters = new HashMap<~>();
    The HashMap

I don't think thats the problem though.