Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which LoL character?!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

Cool which LoL character?!

So I have no idea which LoL League of Legends character to get...
    just started playing the game on Garena Games (Singapore based server) 3 days ago and I'm level 12..I think. Got myself Nidalee (HUGE REGRETS)..
    Now I have no idea what to get next. Preferably something versatile that is easy to dominate the game with!
    I thought about malzahar, but I've already played him so much back in the day.
    I'd just like to know a 'safe' champion to play? Not many deaths, doesn't have to be superb at killing and preferably more based on mid-game and late-game. I love my nunu right now (26/1 last game herr herr herr) but this isn't ranked so you see my problem?
    I just have no idea what champion to pick for ranked games - please just give me some ideas with reason behind it!!! And please no nunu, nidalee, teemo, annie, anivia, tarik, miss fortune..thanks.
    By the way, does higher IP mean the champion is stronger?

Will be SO greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Which lane do you prefer to play, and what role?

If you don't know them yet, the normal ones are,

• Bruiser Top (tanky medium damage champion)
    • Ability Power Carry Mid (more or less full damage items)
    • Jungle Ganker (helps to have a chanp with high base stats and a slow/stun)
    • Attack Damage Carry Bottom (full melee damage items for mac damage, team goal is to protect this player)
    • Support Bottom (ability power / tank with stun / disables in bottom lane to assist the ADC, also wards regularly for vision throughout the entire game)

I'm diamond league so I can probably give you a good idea of whats strong right now for each lane

Bear in mind the strongest ones (top 6) will probably be banned in ranked
    Last edited by DannyRS; 03-24-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Programming is like trying keep a wall of shifting sand up, you fix one thing but somewhere else starts crumbling

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

The strongest late game champion of the entire game is poppy, but no one has balls enough to pick her cause she is weak in every lane and role. But here end game....
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masterBB View Post
    The strongest late game champion of the entire game is poppy, but no one has balls enough to pick her cause she is weak in every lane and role. But here end game....
    Strongest champ right now I'd say is Thresh

Programming is like trying keep a wall of shifting sand up, you fix one thing but somewhere else starts crumbling

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

i find that people generally prefer certain roles over certain champs. for instance, i main AD. Always liked the ad type of role. started off doing AD TF way back in the day (right when league transitioned out of beta). and moved onto trist, a champion that i still love and play frequently. i now play lots of different ADs (and supports now) and enjoy them all.

so my recommendation is to try out different roles, then decide which role you enjoy playing the most. then go from there - what are the popular champs in that role? maybe u will enjoy them.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DannyRS View Post
    Strongest champ right now I'd say is Thresh
    Don't let gambit fool you, that thresh is the highest k/d ratio in competitive play is a joke of them . When they won of SK, they didn't finish but just rape them for fun giving all kills to thresh.
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masterBB View Post
    Don't let gambit fool you, that thresh is the highest k/d ratio in competitive play is a joke of them . When they won of SK, they didn't finish but just rape them for fun giving all kills to thresh.
    The way he can win a bot lane is ridiculous tho, should be banned every game you don't have first pick, or you've probably lost

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

Which lane do you prefer to play, and what role?

If you don't know them yet, the normal ones are,

• Bruiser Top (tanky medium damage champion)
    • Ability Power Carry Mid (more or less full damage items)
    • Jungle Ganker (helps to have a chanp with high base stats and a slow/stun)
    • Attack Damage Carry Bottom (full melee damage items for mac damage, team goal is to protect this player)
    • Support Bottom (ability power / tank with stun / disables in bottom lane to assist the ADC, also wards regularly for vision throughout the entire game)

I'm diamond league so I can probably give you a good idea of whats strong right now for each lane

Bear in mind the strongest ones (top 6) will probably be banned in ranked
    I like playing AP carry, but to be honest it doesn't matter which one - I can go for any role. JUngling I find the most difficult of all of them, but I'd just like to know what those top 6 are please :P and moreover, which roles do you play?? All roles? What's your favourite champions DannY? That's so impressive - DIAMOND! Got any pro tips?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Runehack123 View Post
    I like playing AP carry, but to be honest it doesn't matter which one - I can go for any role. JUngling I find the most difficult of all of them, but I'd just like to know what those top 6 are please :P and moreover, which roles do you play?? All roles? What's your favourite champions DannY? That's so impressive - DIAMOND! Got any pro tips?
    I play all roles, but weakest role being jungle :/

I'll try name some "OP" considered champs,

Malphite - tank with ridiculous game changing stun,
    Hecarim - annoying as hell when against it in the jungle,
    Rumble - annoying AP top
    Diana - ridiculous AP carry if she gets a few kills (you might like)
    Taric/Thresh/Sona/Blitzcrank - support's I'd play if I was forced to play one
    Lee Sin - strong top or jungle,
    Elise - Stupidly strong top,
    Akali - Stupidly strong top / mid,

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head right now

I don't think theres really any "Pro" tips I could give, other than don't play too defensive, 80% of my loses are from team mates being afraid to engage when the ods of the fight are in our favour,

You can try using sites to "counter pick" champs, but I find most of the time I just prefer to play what I want to play as long as it's not ridiculously weak against the other teams picks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

I play all roles, but weakest role being jungle :/

I'll try name some "OP" considered champs,

Malphite - tank with ridiculous game changing stun,
    Hecarim - annoying as hell when against it in the jungle,
    Rumble - annoying AP top
    Diana - ridiculous AP carry if she gets a few kills (you might like)
    Taric/Thresh/Sona/Blitzcrank - support's I'd play if I was forced to play one
    Lee Sin - strong top or jungle,
    Elise - Stupidly strong top,
    Akali - Stupidly strong top / mid,

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head right now

I don't think theres really any "Pro" tips I could give, other than don't play too defensive, 80% of my loses are from team mates being afraid to engage when the ods of the fight are in our favour,

You can try using sites to "counter pick" champs, but I find most of the time I just prefer to play what I want to play as long as it's not ridiculously weak against the other teams picks
    Great thanks so much! rep+++

What runes do you have in your pages?
    I'm level 14 now and have no idea what to get for tier 3 that I've been saving up for ...Almost 3000 IP!!!

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

I've definitely got to join into this conversation...

I'll start with my notes on previously specified champions

Nidalee isn't that bad of a champion, and she has a decent variety of play methods that will carry a team, even in the challenger division. Extremely heavy AP makes her spears take chunks out of even the tankiest of people, and are capable of one-shotting squishier champions if significantly fed. Granted, some people take her as a 1-hit pony with that, but her traps offer tremendous utility (40% armor/mr reduction is huge, not to mention 400+ damage DOT), her healis tremendously powerful and the attack speed boost on an ADC can cut through teams, and her cougar form is amazing for chasing, escaping, and burst finishing your opponent.

Thresh is an incredibly strong support, but don't doubt the power of sivir. She may not have the highest dps, but she ruins the value of many supports and she offers tremendous utility through her ultimate (not to mention free high burst).

Poppy is a capable jungler. She's not the quickest jungler, and her ganks mid are subpar. But her dive and side lane gank potential is not that bad.

IP value does not imply strength of champion, it simply implies how new the champion is (for the most part as all new champs are 7800 for 1 week and then 6300 after that). As opposed to giving you a high tier champion list (Danny's is quite accurate ), I think it may be better to give you an easy to learn champion list, and perhaps a list of difficulty.

Vladimir is an extremely easy to learn mage that can be played in mid lane. He is not typically played mid once you reach higher tiers of play, but for learning purposes, he's a great start. He self-heals with a decent damage on his Q, which you can use to harass your opponent quite well.
    Ryze lacks skill shots and due to his skills having mana:damage ratios, he is quite capable of becoming extremely tanky, while keeping a large portion of his damage.
    Katarina is a good champion to help learn skill comboing and how skill order can matter. The order of casting her spells affects her damage output greatly. Due to her lack of mana, you can spam her skills all day without worry, and once you become good with her comboing, you can dish out solid harass at low to medium tiers of play, and then finally heavy burst when you're ready for the kill. Thanks to her passive, once she dives to kill a champion, she can shunpo to safety outside of the tower, taking almost no damage.
    Diana is good in low and high tier matches and since she only has 1 skill shot, she is a very decent transition into higher difficulty champions. She has a unique method to her skill shot, but it will not stop on creep contact and it grants you a reticule of its path to help you learn.
    LeBlanc is a dominating mid who focuses on intense skill combinations to destroy her opponent. She is quite capable of escaping most ganks and while her aoe is fairly negligible, she is an extremely high burst champion to help you become more adjusted in mid as you get better (she also requires and will help you learn skill combo-ing, and is a decent way to learn smart-casting).
    Veigar is very much so a mid to late game champion. With tremendous CC capabilities from his 2.5second aoe stun he can cast every 12 seconds, and tremendous destructive power(both aoe and single target) he can carry many a game. Early as you learn, every opponent will walk into his stun (it's a ring you place on the ground, and touching the ring is how he stuns). Eventually people will learn to avoid that, but you can also learn to instead place the edge of the ring directly on people and stun them anyway. It requires heavy precision, but it is very good.

Of course there are many other capable champions as well, and technically any of them can be played fairly well, but I think that's a decent list of champions based on difficulty of play to help you learn a variety of solid champs and important skills that can help for any champ (as well as knowing how to handle your opponents).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

Thanks so much for your post Nivek - I'd still like to know a bit more about which runes to get since that seems really important, too and...
    I'm not thaaat new to the game to be honest I have played on EU servers, got to level 30 and was playing in silver ranked... I think? I know how to smart cast, too.
    LeBlanc sounds like a fun character. HmmmHMmmm
    I'm still playing every game with nunu right now since I'm desperate for IP wins.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Well runes are dependent on your goal, your opponent and who you are. In mid, my marks are ALWAYS magic penetration, but every other run is dependent on the situation.

For example, when I play LeBlanc, I run flat AP quintessences and glyphs, with Mana regen/lvl seals for the heavy early game damage and better mana sustain throughout.

When I play Veigar, I use mana regen/level seals, move speed quints (he can use all the speed he can come by), and either magic resist/lvl or flat magic resist glyphs depending on who I think I'm going against (the survivability makes a difference on him with his low escape ability, whereas he farms AP quite well).

When I play Katarina, I use flat armor seals, magic pen quints and magic resist glyphs to give her solid survivability as she runs head into the fight.

For AP Nunu, I would recommend flat armor seals, flat AP glyphs and quints, with magic pen marks. (It makes him fairly dominating early game that way). Although, if I ever feel like playing AP nunu, I do it top, not in mid. Very few top based champions can handle him like that.

So keep it based on who you play the most.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

So choosing flat over scaling is better/pro?

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

So choosing flat over scaling is better/pro?
    Not necessarily, it's dependent on your situation. Let's use the jungle as an example, I almost exclusively run flat armor seals (the immediate damage threat) and magic resist per level glyphs since I don't take much magic damage until later in the game. You should base it on the value of the stat while still in lane phase.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

I play Support Thresh primarily and I agree he is OP.
    However, If you learn to harass you can pretty much stop any thresh from getting soul fed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

i just got malzahar and won my firstgame with him it was okay 3 death 3 kill lots of assist but my team win because of me I pushed middle so hard hurr hurr hurrr

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

i just got malzahar and won my firstgame with him it was okay 3 death 3 kill lots of assist but my team win because of me I pushed middle so hard hurr hurr hurrr
    What's your league of legends username

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xtrapsp View Post
    What's your league of legends username
    I am playing on Garena Singapore servers - you too??

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

I am playing on Garena Singapore servers - you too??
    EU West,

Garena is your username?

Also there isn't a Singapore server...

NA
    EU
    EN & E
    Brazil
    Korea

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xtrapsp View Post
    EU West,

Garena is your username?

Also there isn't a Singapore server...

NA
    EU
    EN & E
    Brazil
    Korea
    yes there is
    it's great for people who live close to Singapore
    http://lol.garena.com/downloads/

I see a lot of people there talking like 'hey you stop it noob la' 'what are you doing la' 'wa la dis mal'
    so a lot of Singaporians but also Malaysians and all over Asia.
    Very competitive Asian scene over there and I get good ping of 100-150 (which is as good as it gets living in China). With USA or euro it's just a nono..they are too far away.

it's a seperate LoL client but this is big in Asia and alll the champions updates are the same. Not sure why they couldn't just have this as an official LoL server but oh well. So many people play here anyway

EDIT:
    and what's nice you get free T3 quint, some IP/EXP boosts and free IP boost after staying online for over 400 hours and free IP 4 win boost after staying online to GarenaPlus for like 250 hours. That's ridiculous to be fair but it's still nice I hope I'll get there some day Also you get a free champion (ryze,nunu,ashe or yi you must choose) and a skin you must also choose. There's new prize at level 1 2 5 10 15 20 25 30 but the best one I think is the free champion and also you end up having 180 Riot Point by level 30 thanks to the prizes and with 180 you can buy yourself a champion (not every some are too expensivewell most are but still the selection is big and some on sale -50% you can buy no problem )!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

If you guys ever get together to play a match i'll join

It's been awhile though, i'm an old beta player who got tired of league months ago :/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)

so I have played League of Legends quite some bit ...

I am almost level 30 and I am botting with Twisted Faith

anyone think he is better or worse compared to:
    -Swain -Cassio

also what do you think of Ezrael because I am planning to bot him thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i would suggest buying all the 450 champs and finding out what role and type of champ you like to play. and then build your collection from there. the game is always more fun when you play roles you actually enjoy. and always play for fun.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

try jax, easy to learn but hard to master and he is pretty versatile aswell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information